Author Topic: KBCO, 10/24/08... no set??  (Read 2476 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KBCO, 10/24/08... no set??
« on: October 24, 2008, 09:05:01 AM »
Ginger's playing regular 'BCO stuff. Yesterday's setlist didn't indicate what was coming up "tomorrow" -- WTF? They just started taking "best-of" votes a week ago.  maybe nobody voted and they decided to dump 10@10?

ETA: I just e-mailed Ginger but gave my home addr so i won't see her reply until tonite.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 09:13:41 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KBCO, 10/24/08... no set??
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 09:34:29 AM »
Unless I missed it, Ginger hasn't commented on-air about this. This really sucks: It seems like we've been losing one good music-related thing after another lately.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 10:01:19 AM »
Unless I missed it, Ginger hasn't commented on-air about this. This really sucks: It seems like we've been losing one good music-related thing after another lately.

Someone have time to shoot her an email & see what's up?  I'm curious now.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 10:09:42 AM »

I did--I figure it can't hurt for her to get a whole raft of e-mails wondering what's up. Stuff like that can carry some weight with the PD.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 10:23:36 AM »

I did--I figure it can't hurt for her to get a whole raft of e-mails wondering what's up. Stuff like that can carry some weight with the PD.

it's sure odd they'd kill it just a week after starting the best-of-set voting; that's why I wonder whether that was some kind of test to see how passionate people were about the feature. maybe they got a lot less votes than they expected, and maybe today was a "let's see if anyone notices it's gone" thing.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 10:30:40 AM »

it's sure odd they'd kill it just a week after starting the best-of-set voting; that's why I wonder whether that was some kind of test to see how passionate people were about the feature. maybe they got a lot less votes than they expected, and maybe today was a "let's see if anyone notices it's gone" thing.

I'd hope they wouldn't base a decision like that on one week's worth of voting though. Ya gotta give people a chance to change their habits, so they do vote regularly.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 09:50:59 PM »

I'd hope they wouldn't base a decision like that on one week's worth of voting though. Ya gotta give people a chance to change their habits, so they do vote regularly.

Well, Ginger replied to my e-mail, and it looks like we were right. She says 10@10 is "on hiatus"...

I wanted to test the waters to see if the feature has run its course.  It has become increasingly difficult to keep 10@10 fresh, and I just don't feel like I'm getting as much response as I did in the past.  As you probably have realized, I like to stretch the musical boundries and sometimes I wonder if my song selections are a bit jarring for some at work listeners...

But she says the coffin isn't nailed shut, and she'll be monitoring the phones and emails in the coming weeks to see if people clamor for its return.  Fingers crossed...

« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 10:06:57 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 10:45:58 PM »
 Tell her that, as Dave and Rob and Bob have proven at various times over the years, freshness is always appreciated by is by no means a requirement for the position!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 12:25:56 PM »
Tell her that, as Dave and Rob and Bob have proven at various times over the years, freshness is always appreciated by but is by no means a requirement for the position!

Amen to that. Her attention to such things is an indication of why we appreciate her sets so much--she takes care with each one (we can certainly recognize the sets when Dave does, and when he doesn't), so I suppose it's natural she'd be sensitive to burnout. If she needs a break, by all means she should take one, but here's hoping she doesn't throw out the baby with the bath water.

(I'm still curious if there's anyone in Boulder who are as over-the-top about her 10@10s as we are.  I know Ginger appreciates our allegiance, but from the point of view of the station and its advertisers, we don't count for squat--we're not likely to be patronizing any of them.)
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 09:14:15 AM »
No 10@10 today either; I guess it's farewell.  :(  Anyone else doing 10@10 in the Mountain time zone?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 09:24:18 AM »
No 10@10 today either; I guess it's farewell.  :(  Anyone else doing 10@10 in the Mountain time zone?

To be fair, she said it would take a couple of weeks to decide whether to bring it back or not.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 03:12:28 PM »

To be fair, she said it would take a couple of weeks to decide whether to bring it back or not.

I got a response from her today, where she said the same thing. It's on hiatus, and apparently they're measuring response from listeners. So if you know anyone in the Boulder area, have them call or write the station and just say that they noticed it's gone and that they miss it. I have no idea how many responses would be necessary to sway whoever's making the decision, but isn't the formula something like one call or letter equals a thousand listeners?
Let's get right to it.