Author Topic: The Rant & Vent about the Right Wing thread  (Read 230388 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Rant & Vent about the Right Wing thread
« Reply #390 on: March 14, 2008, 08:47:50 PM »
How about this for a rarity?? Right wing talk show host Glenn Beck supported the right for that gay Iranian teenager to get asylum and wondered why he didn't get it (as of the date of the show, Thursday, March 13th) comparing it to a situation in the late 30's with a ship full of Jews trying to get asylum and several countries wouldn't. Below is part of the transcript of that show. I never would of thought even once a right winger would be supporting a gay person (even allowing the guest that he had on to give the e-mail address of a gay muslim House of Lords member in the UK):

I must say I'm surprised and impressed, since I probably hate Glenn Beck twice as much as you hate Olbermann.  ;)  Beck is a Mormon and was a Romney supporter -- perhaps seeing Mitt's candidacy falter, in large part because the Christian fundamentalists hate Mormons, opened Glenn's eyes a bit.  At least it would be nice to think so.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #391 on: March 14, 2008, 10:53:17 PM »
How about this for a rarity?? Right wing talk show host Glenn Beck supported the right for that gay Iranian teenager to get asylum and wondered why he didn't get it (as of the date of the show, Thursday, March 13th) comparing it to a situation in the late 30's with a ship full of Jews trying to get asylum and several countries wouldn't. Below is part of the transcript of that show. I never would of thought even once a right winger would be supporting a gay person (even allowing the guest that he had on to give the e-mail address of a gay muslim House of Lords member in the UK):

I must say I'm surprised and impressed, since I probably hate Glenn Beck twice as much as you hate Olbermann.  ;)  Beck is a Mormon and was a Romney supporter -- perhaps seeing Mitt's candidacy falter, in large part because the Christian fundamentalists hate Mormons, opened Glenn's eyes a bit.  At least it would be nice to think so.
I can't bear Beck.  It seems he's on every time I'm on the treadmill at the Y!  I think he just hates Muslims more than he hates gays. 
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

SFGuy

« Reply #392 on: March 15, 2008, 11:22:19 PM »

I can't bear Beck.  It seems he's on every time I'm on the treadmill at the Y!  I think he just hates Muslims more than he hates gays. 

Normally he would just ignore the story so it was still surprising. He also didn't have the voice of disdain when he was mentioning the teen's boyfriend. It was a voice in "How could he be treated like this?"

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 16, 2008, 10:33:38 AM »
Normally he would just ignore the story so it was still surprising. He also didn't have the voice of disdain when he was mentioning the teen's boyfriend. It was a voice in "How could he be treated like this?"
Well, perhaps this proves the point that even inside Darth Vader there lurks a soul.  I wonder if something personal in Glenn's life has done this.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 20, 2008, 09:28:25 AM »
Enjoyable column by Jon Carrol today.  I guess this belongs in this thread:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/20/DDJQVM6S3.DTL
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 20, 2008, 09:32:39 AM »

Truly one of his best columns yet, and he's had a lot of great ones.  Thanks for the heads-up!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 20, 2008, 09:36:57 AM »

Truly one of his best columns yet, and he's had a lot of great ones.  Thanks for the heads-up!

indeed that is wonderful. I can't decide which line is better: the one about homosexuals at Bear Stearns or "it seems to me that celebrating being Irish by drinking is like celebrating being black by picking cotton".

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 20, 2008, 10:18:22 AM »
Sign of hope: Amid all the large-scale protests yesterday commemorating the fifth anniversary of Iraq's invasion, I witnessed a very small one. I was in a small town in Oregon, about an hour outside Portland (McMinnville if that means anything to you--Rastermon, you out there?), and encountered a lone woman, probably in her late 50s or early 60s, walking down the main street carrying a homemade sign with a picture of an Iraqi woman in anguish, that bore the legend "Five years." Both Sarah and I thanked her. It's good to see people standing up. Need more of that. 
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 20, 2008, 10:26:50 AM »
Sign of hope: Amid all the large-scale protests yesterday commemorating the fifth anniversary of Iraq's invasion, I witnessed a very small one. I was in a small town in Oregon, about an hour outside Portland (McMinnville if that means anything to you--Rastermon, you out there?), and encountered a lone woman, probably in her late 50s or early 60s, walking down the main street carrying a homemade sign with a picture of an Iraqi woman in anguish, that bore the legend "Five years." Both Sarah and I thanked her. It's good to see people standing up. Need more of that. 

there was discussion on MSNBC yesterday of the fact that the protests were not all that large (and what-does-it-mean in an Election '08 context).

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 20, 2008, 10:30:53 AM »

there was discussion on MSNBC yesterday of the fact that the protests were not all that large (and what-does-it-mean in an Election '08 context).

What-it-means to me is that a whole lot of Americans (a) learned long ago that this administration is wholly unresponsive to protest in any form, and (b) didn't want to risk losing their jobs over a war protest as recession looms.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 20, 2008, 02:43:55 PM »
Power of the press? What power of the press?

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003727274

Fat lot of good it did us.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 27, 2008, 08:18:35 PM »
Just saw this on TV -- they bought time on Comedy Central. Giving new meaning to the phrase "Yacht Rock":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AISA-Rj2mzc

I wasn't familiar with Courage Campaign until now, but apparently they're quite active.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 14, 2008, 10:56:08 PM »
I just saw this TED talk Al Gore did.  It's a little scary, but I do want others to watch it.  If you think it's worthwhile, pass the link along:

http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/243

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 23, 2008, 10:56:52 AM »
ah, religion will truly be the death of us all:

http://www.wyff4.com/news/15948849/detail.html

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 23, 2008, 09:58:31 PM »
ah, religion will truly be the death of us all:

http://www.wyff4.com/news/15948849/detail.html

When asked if he believes that Barack Obama is Muslim, Byrd said, "I don't know. See it asks a question: Are they brothers? In other words, is he Muslim ? I don't know. He says he's not. I hope he's not. But I don't know.

Is Pastor Byrd a child-fucker?  I don't know.  See, I asked a question: Is he a child-fucker?  In other words, does he fuck children?  I don't know.  He says he doesn't.  I hope he doesn't.  But I don't know.

On a more serious note: How fucking arrogant of Pastor Byrd to say "I hope he's not" a Muslim.  It is not for any of us to "hope" what another's spiritual path will be.  He's gotta lay the fuck off.  But hey, "no hard feelings," right?