Author Topic: The Rant & Vent about the Right Wing thread  (Read 230368 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Rant & Vent about the Right Wing thread
« Reply #375 on: October 04, 2007, 10:39:27 PM »
Now that Stephen Colbert has not only brought a bong out onto his show but demonstrated that he knows how to toke off one, I officially want to do him.

Tangentially, I understand that it may be treasonous to wish death upon our President, but is it treasonous to wish upon him a death equal in suffering to that upon which he foists people worldwide as a direct result of his policies?  Just idly curious.  Not that I'm embittered about any present vetoes or anything.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 17, 2007, 11:48:56 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Now that Stephen Colbert has not only brought a bong out onto his show but demonstrated that he knows how to toke off one, I officially want to do him.

Yes, but will you vote for him?  He has officially declared:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/10/16/entertainment/e205128D42.DTL

Not sure how I feel about this -- I think he's brilliant, but the faux-presidential-campaign is a pretty tired trope.  Could be his undoing if he's not careful.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 17, 2007, 10:43:58 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "Gazoo"

Yes, but will you vote for him?  He has officially declared:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/10/16/entertainment/e205128D42.DTL

Not sure how I feel about this -- I think he's brilliant, but the faux-presidential-campaign is a pretty tired trope.  Could be his undoing if he's not careful.

Good point; he's staking a lot on this.  He could become the next Pat Paulsen.  Or more optimistically, he'll pull back the curtain and show how a presidential campaign is waged.

He's off to a good start tonight, I must say.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Rant & Vent about the Right Wing thread
« Reply #378 on: December 03, 2007, 04:04:36 PM »
8 men out? Well, 8 men tell an Idaho newspaper they had sex with Larry "I'm not Gay" Craig:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/12/02/national/a145356S08.DTL

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 13, 2007, 10:38:27 AM »
a terrific Jon Carroll piece about Romney, Huckabee et al.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/12/13/DD2JTS7O0.DTL

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 18, 2007, 08:28:57 PM »
Maybe you've seen this Mike Huckabee Christmas ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMUI2XExdIA

Is he appealing to Fundies or warding off vampires?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 11, 2008, 09:40:04 AM »
In the year end Rolling Stone, Bill Maher has a page listing his Dickheads of the Year, and in it he offers up a very good point about Sen. Larry Craig:

"Don't people like Larry Craig and Ted Haggard and Mark Foley prove that being gay really is a hard-wired thing - and not, as the conservatives like to say, a 'lifestyle choice'?  If anyone could choose not to have gay sex, it would be these guys, since their whole careers are built on not having gay sex."
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 11, 2008, 09:56:49 AM »
In the year end Rolling Stone, Bill Maher has a page listing his Dickheads of the Year, and in it he offers up a very good point about Sen. Larry Craig:

"Don't people like Larry Craig and Ted Haggard and Mark Foley prove that being gay really is a hard-wired thing - and not, as the conservatives like to say, a 'lifestyle choice'?  If anyone could choose not to have gay sex, it would be these guys, since their whole careers are built on not having gay sex."

couldn't've put it better myself.  Unfortunately, it's a logical argument completely lost on the Fundies -- these guys were just "tempted by the devil" and that's that. "Born that way" has nothing to do with it, as far as they're concerned  >:(  >:(  >:(

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 15, 2008, 08:41:12 AM »
In case youmissed this story the other day, Faux News reported that Paul Begala of CNN was joining the Clinton campaign. But Begala wasn't doing anything of the kind, and when he called and e-mailed Fox to tell them the truth... well, read his piece from the H-P:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-begala/fox-news-we-report-e_b_80698.html

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 10, 2008, 01:29:57 PM »
Not a right-wing thing, but since this thread catches all things politics: RIP to Eliot Spitzer's political career.  I'm waiting for a "Client 9 From Outer Space" hed along with a maelstrom of "Spitzer/swallower" puns from the likes of the Post.  Sigh ... As I told a friend here, neither the Democratic Party nor the state of New York need this drama right now.   >:(

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 10, 2008, 02:26:36 PM »
Not a right-wing thing, but since this thread catches all things politics: RIP to Eliot Spitzer's political career.  I'm waiting for a "Client 9 From Outer Space" hed along with a maelstrom of "Spitzer/swallower" puns from the likes of the Post.  Sigh ... As I told a friend here, neither the Democratic Party nor the state of New York need this drama right now.   >:(

indeed... it amazes me how politicians can be so stupid. Granted, Dems don't usually match Repugs, in re: the hypocrisy factor, but Spitzer did try to be "Elliot Ness"  so there's that.  OTOH, he's a Clintonian rather than an Obamian, so I'm not crying tears over him.  ;)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 11, 2008, 07:46:50 AM »
I'm waiting for a "Client 9 From Outer Space" hed along with a maelstrom of "Spitzer/swallower" puns from the likes of the Post. 

or, as Olbermann said last nite: "Spitzer? I hardlly knew 'er!"

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 11, 2008, 08:58:52 AM »

Granted, Dems don't usually match Repugs, in re: the hypocrisy factor

But that's no excuse, at least for me, b/c I don't expect the GOP to make the world a better place, and when guys like Bill & Elliott, who had the potential to do so much more good than they'd already done, get caught with their dicks literally hanging out...well it just grieves me no end. 
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 12, 2008, 07:54:52 AM »
I'm waiting for a "Client 9 From Outer Space" hed along with a maelstrom of "Spitzer/swallower" puns from the likes of the Post. 

or, as Olbermann said last nite: "Spitzer? I hardlly knew 'er!"

And one more: "Elliot Mess" (Colbert used this one Mon nite)

But it's official: Spitzer resigns.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/03/10/national/a111438D03.DTL&tsp=1

SFGuy

« Reply #389 on: March 14, 2008, 08:04:41 PM »
How about this for a rarity?? Right wing talk show host Glenn Beck supported the right for that gay Iranian teenager to get asylum and wondered why he didn't get it (as of the date of the show, Thursday, March 13th) comparing it to a situation in the late 30's with a ship full of Jews trying to get asylum and several countries wouldn't. Below is part of the transcript of that show. I never would of thought even once a right winger would be supporting a gay person (even allowing the guest that he had on to give the e-mail address of a gay muslim House of Lords member in the UK):

All right. I want to take a hard turn here and tell you a quick story. Back in 1939, there was a large cruise ship. It set sail across the Atlantic. On board, 936 asylum seekers.

After many, many days at sea, the ship finally reached Cuba, where it anchored, and it was sitting there in the harbor. It was waiting clearance to unload the people. Well, the clearance never came. Ship turned away from Cuba.

Next, the ship tried to get permission to enter the United States, come here. Nope. Canada, no. Went away.

Running low on food and water and unable to find any country to take them, the ship sailed back across the Atlantic, where its passengers were finally accepted into four different European countries.

The ship was the S.S. St. Louis. The passengers were German Jews, trying to escape Hitler`s impending Holocaust, the Holocaust that everybody knew was coming, no matter what the history book tells you now. Read "Mein Kampf."

Who knows how many of those Jews eventually ended up dead in one of Hitler`s death camps, because not one country, including our own, would stand up and give them shelter.

Unfortunately, "The Real Story" tonight is, the S.S. St. Louis sails again. But this time, it`s not Jews looking to escape certain death. It`s just one; one gay teenager from Iran.

This guy, while he was in Britain on a student visa, his boyfriend was executed in Iran after publicly admitting their homosexual relationship. Fearing that he, too, would be killed if he returned to Iran, he asked the British government for asylum. They said no. Why? Well, they don`t call it Londonistan for nothing. You do the math.

From there, he went to the Netherlands, a place where hookers and pot are OK, but somebody looking for asylum, who`s facing execution because of their sexual orientation, not so much. Why? Well, the Netherlands, this is where Van Gogh was assassinated by a radical Muslim over a movie script and then I think the cartoon thing, as well. Once again, do the math.

And that leaves this teenager nowhere, a man without a country. The Netherlands is shipping him back to Britain. Britain might ship him back to Iran. And then what? A public stoning? Maybe a nice, warm acid bath?

Maybe it`s time we update the great post-World War II poem. First they came for the Jews, and I didn`t speak up, because I wasn`t a Jew. Then they came for the homosexuals. And I didn`t speak up, because I wasn`t a homosexual. Then they came for me. And by then, there was no one left to speak up for me.

Who will speak up now and take this modern-day German Jew in?