Author Topic: The Rant & Vent about the Right Wing thread  (Read 230392 times)

SFGuy

Re: The Rant & Vent about the Right Wing thread
« Reply #555 on: September 19, 2009, 02:00:45 AM »
Holy S**T! Bill O'Reilly backs Public Option on Health Care!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/17/bill-oreilly-backs-public_n_290658.html

Pigs fly! Glenn Beck's and Keith Olbermann's heads explode simultaneously! 

Now if we could just get Max Baucus on board...

If O'Reilly likes it, then it must be bad.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: September 20, 2009, 08:42:59 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/17/bill-oreilly-backs-public_n_290658.html

Now if we could just get Max Baucus on board...

a fringe player.  Remember, O'Reilly doesn't speak for the GOP/right... Limbaugh does.
~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 21, 2009, 01:59:39 PM »

In Political Science there is a well-documented and demonstrated thing called The Radical Fringe Effect.  (Think of the Black Panthers in the civil rights movement & the public bra-burners in the women's rights movement, and the SDS in the anti-Vietnam protests).  In simplest form, if one views politics as a spectrum (and "political spectrum" is a catch phrase if not a cliche), then it is easy to move from there to a view of politics as a big teeter-totter balancing on the fulcrum of the median of public opinion.  Thus the further out towards either end one moves, the more leverage one has.  But, to continue the metaphor, if there is someone way the hell out there on the opposite end of the teeter-totter (and with increasing leverage) then one has two choices: move even further out on your one side to offset them, OR get everyone to scootch in a little but towards the center so that the opposite extremists go crashing to the ground and bounce off.

For most of the 70's and 80's the GOP was successful in doing the latter to the Dems. Scootching towards the center and crashing the Dems because they refused to scootch centerwards from their most radical constituents.

But now the GOP has no center: Rush & Glenn & Rep. Joe Wilson & Sarah Palin have moved the core of the party so far out to the end of the teeter-totter, that even Bill O'Reilly feels the need to scootch back toward the center to avoid the literal fall-off.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 02:01:34 PM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 21, 2009, 02:13:17 PM »
Mark should especially appreciate this from one of the Chron's "guest" blogs:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/djennings/detail?entry_id=47973
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 21, 2009, 07:43:34 PM »
Glenn Beck has decided to follow-up his 9/12 tea party with "A National Day of Fasting and Prayer" -- he wants it to be Sept 28th.  Which happens to be...  Yom Kippur, the Jewish Day of, um, Fasting and Prayer. Gee, is Glenn Beck a Mormon goy? Oy!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: September 22, 2009, 12:45:30 PM »

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: September 22, 2009, 04:11:21 PM »

that gave me chuckles for a few different reasons, and very few people in Missouri have any love left for John I-Lost-To-A-Dead-Guy-and-All-I-Got-Was-the-Attorney-General's-Office Ashcroft.

But if Duffy Jennings remember those days that well, I have to wonder what his true feelings were about the astonishing breach of conduct that Roger Craig allowed & implicitly condoned with Jeffrey One-Flap-Down Leonard during the latter's tenure in SF.  Nobody, not Babe Ruth, not even Bonds, not ANYONE ever circled the bases after a home run with a more obvious display of poor-sportsmanship. 

If LaRussa had been managing the Cards back then I hesitate to think what would have happened in the '87 NLCS.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #562 on: September 22, 2009, 04:15:03 PM »

that gave me chuckles for a few different reasons, and very few people in Missouri have any love left for John I-Lost-To-A-Dead-Guy-and-All-I-Got-Was-the-Attorney-General's-Office Ashcroft.

But if Duffy Jennings remember those days that well, I have to wonder what his true feelings were about the astonishing breach of conduct that Roger Craig allowed & implicitly condoned with Jeffrey One-Flap-Down Leonard during the latter's tenure in SF.  Nobody, not Babe Ruth, not even Bonds, not ANYONE ever circled the bases after a home run with a more obvious display of poor-sportsmanship. 

If LaRussa had been managing the Cards back then I hesitate to think what would have happened in the '87 NLCS.
Kirk Gibson?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 22, 2009, 04:31:40 PM »
not even close.  That was spontaneous emotion.  Leonard did it EVERY SINGLE TIME, all season.  Pure one-upmanship, and in the old school (of which Craig was credited with being a member, and of which LaRussa is the last surviving member) that sort of thing would have been snuffed out the minute it became an obvious pattern.

and since it was his left arm down, it was literally a Right Wing phenomenon!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: September 22, 2009, 04:32:39 PM »

Kirk Gibson?

Gibson was pretty demonstrative after he went yard off Eck, but that seemed to be one-time thing on that improbable homer. From what I just read about Leonard, he premeditated his "Flap" trots, and claimed to have five of them, each crafted to tick off opposing pitchers.  But he knew what his shenanigans would do: he fully expected to get hit in some subsequent AB. He said that was fine "as long as it's below the neck."  

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 28, 2009, 12:01:51 PM »
copied from today's 10@10 Thread...

One more BOS for George and the Beatles, Within You Without You, but the Kinks still get the vote I'll actually cast.

in all the years I've been listening, today is the probably the second time that I actually cast a BOS vote.  (Kinks)

I'm curious: How many folks here actually do cast votes?

I rarely do -- if something AL plays really gobsmacks me, I'll e-mail her. But I'm basically the Meg Whitman of BOS voting  ;)

HA!  OMG, on local news Friday, I think they showed her giving a speech at a local company that did solar panel installation/manufacturing or something.  And while there giving a speech to employees (and media), she proclaimed that CA's "green jobs" bill was a mistake, and that many jobs will be lost because of it.

Awesome.

When the reporter called her on it, she brushed him off with a "yes, these jobs (solar) are good, but AB-whatver is not the right way to increase them or something".  He pushed further, and she gave this *incredibly* condescending/cutesy smile/grimace and said, "Sorry, I've got to go, thank you for your question."  Made me want to punch her in the face.  Holy crap.  Let me find the video...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: September 28, 2009, 12:02:48 PM »
copied from today's 10@10 thread...

One more BOS for George and the Beatles, Within You Without You, but the Kinks still get the vote I'll actually cast.

in all the years I've been listening, today is the probably the second time that I actually cast a BOS vote.  (Kinks)

I'm curious: How many folks here actually do cast votes?

I rarely do -- if something AL plays really gobsmacks me, I'll e-mail her. But I'm basically the Meg Whitman of BOS voting  ;)

Darryl replied:

HA!  OMG, on local news Friday, I think they showed her giving a speech at a local company that did solar panel installation/manufacturing or something.  And while there giving a speech to employees (and media), she proclaimed that CA's "green jobs" bill was a mistake, and that many jobs will be lost because of it.

Awesome.

When the reporter called her on it, she brushed him off with a "yes, these jobs (solar) are good, but AB-whatver is not the right way to increase them or something".  He pushed further, and she gave this *incredibly* condescending/cutesy smile/grimace and said, "Sorry, I've got to go, thank you for your question."  Made me want to punch her in the face.  Holy crap.  Let me find the video...

I'm really hoping the Dems have a GOOD guv candidate to run against her.  I voted against Ah-nuld -- twice -- but I was not at all pleased with Phil Angelides. He was a TERRIBLE candidate. Ah-nuld's poll numbers were in the toilet 6 months before that election -- anybody halfway decent coulda  beat him.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 03:27:22 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 28, 2009, 03:30:07 PM »
scarier & scarier:  Facebook has to delete a poll asking "Should Obama be killed?"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/28/obama-facebook-poll-asks_n_301860.html

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: September 28, 2009, 03:37:21 PM »
scarier & scarier:  Facebook has to delete a poll asking "Should Obama be killed?"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/28/obama-facebook-poll-asks_n_301860.html

Yeesh, no limit to the stupidity of some people. If that guy didn't have an FBI dossier before, he's got one now.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 28, 2009, 04:04:19 PM »
Meg Whitman's response: Sonny Bono didn't vote either!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/nov05election/detail?entry_id=48475&tsp=1