Author Topic: The Rant & Vent about the Right Wing thread  (Read 230379 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Rant & Vent about the Right Wing thread
« Reply #540 on: September 10, 2009, 11:12:44 AM »
Lawmaker tries to apologize for outburst

"In an extraordinary breach of congressional decorum, a Republican lawmaker shouted "You lie" at President Obama during his speech to Congress Wednesday."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/09/10/MN9119L0RK.DTL

No doubt, some will say "bravo!" at his actions, and those same folks would be all in a tizzy if a Dem had yelled at Bush, saying "Respect the office"
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: September 10, 2009, 11:18:18 AM »
Let the fucker do it.  Let him see on the damn trail what a horrid lot the GOP base has become.  (Why the moderate and intellectual wings of the Republican party aren't trying to reclaim its mantle from the torch-wielding flath-earthers is beyond me - unless there really aren't so many of them after all.)  Schill's one of those beautifully deluded guys who knows what he knows but does not know what he does not know.

which is precisely why he'd fit in quite well with that crowd -- he's a Fundie, after all -- and he and the nut-jobs will get along famously, methinks.

And no, there *is* no moderate wing of the GOP anymore.

No moderates left is the reason why I left the GOP and am "Declined to State" in CA. I wish we could register as an Independent in CA. I hate the Demos as much as I hate the GOP.

I'm curious, from a legal angle, if the "Decline to State" option, which in CA allows you to vote in either Dem or GOP primaries, is preferable to being a registered Independent, which might preclude that. Anybody know for sure?

Pennsylvania, sadly, is absurdly prohibitive: if you're a Democrat, you can vote only in the Dem primary; if you're a Republican, you can vote only in the GOP primary; and if you're independent or third-party, you can't vote in the primary at all.  Quite un-democratic.

I disagree, actually -- where primaries are concerned, well, that's why they're called primaries. You're choosing your party's standard-bearers. I think "decline to state" folks should be able to choose a party in a primary, but if you're an Independent... well, you shoulda taken that into consideration when you registered.  And the idea of Dems voting in GOP primaries and vice-versa, well... be careful what you wish for. Did we not see the wingnuts talking up the idea of "sabotaging" Dem primaries last year by rallying around Hillary etc?  I think that's more of an issue now than ever, and it ought to scare the bejeezus out of ya.

and TC: agreed -- can you IMAGINE the outrage on Faux News and the wingnut blogosphere if a Dem had done that to a GOP prez? Good gawd, they'd be demading he be put on trial for treason.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 11:20:31 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: September 10, 2009, 11:29:49 AM »

Lawmaker tries to apologize for outburst.

"In an extraordinary breach of congressional decorum, a Republican lawmaker shouted "You lie" at President Obama during his speech to Congress Wednesday."

Y'all gotta read this piece by Joe Klein from Time: The GOP Has Become a Party of Nihilists, which appeared three weeks ago in the 8/20 issue.  I guess Joe Wilson proved Klein's point last night.  And I hope it is the long-overdue wakeup call to the middle of the political spectrum.  These Republicans have lost all sense of shame & should have lost any credibility with moderates & independents once and for all.

p.s. Gaz, you ever run across Klein in the office?  He was a long-time Newsweek columnist, but when he denied writing Primary Colors, by Anonymous - repeatedly & on the record - and then had to admit that he did, they had little choice but to let him go.  After a period in the wilderness he has been rehabilitated at Time for a few years now.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 11:35:35 AM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: September 10, 2009, 11:36:54 AM »
I hope it is the long-overdue wakeup call to the middle of the political spectrum.  These Republicans have lost all sense of shame & should have lost any credibility with moderates & independents once and for all.

Key phase there being "should have"... I would dearly love to believe it, but we seem to say that every time one of these idiots does something, er, idiotic. And nothing changes. A poll last week said a significantly increased number of people are self-identifying as Repubs now, compared to the end of last year.  Sorry, but the ugliness has only begun, if the Rethugs think it's actually getting them somehwere.  >:(

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 10, 2009, 03:15:34 PM »

Lawmaker tries to apologize for outburst.

Y'all gotta read this piece by Joe Klein from Time: The GOP Has Become a Party of Nihilists, which appeared three weeks ago in the 8/20 issue.  I guess Joe Wilson proved Klein's point last night.  And I hope it is the long-overdue wakeup call to the middle of the political spectrum.  These Republicans have lost all sense of shame & should have lost any credibility with moderates & independents once and for all.

p.s. Gaz, you ever run across Klein in the office?  He was a long-time Newsweek columnist, but when he denied writing Primary Colors, by Anonymous - repeatedly & on the record - and then had to admit that he did, they had little choice but to let him go.  After a period in the wilderness he has been rehabilitated at Time for a few years now.

He's in the office sometimes, but I've never spoken face to face with him.  I did, however, once anger him by altering too much of his punctuation in a story - unable to reach me, he went off on the reporter who was liasing between us and drove her to tears.  Klein is combatively possessive about his copy and is deeply unliked by several of us at the copy desk, even though he frequently writes stories of great value.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: September 10, 2009, 08:31:06 PM »
A really GREAT Olbermann "special comment" tonite about the GOP being the Party of Stupidity. Dunno if it's on the Tubes of You, but it's surely at the MSNBC/"Countdown" website. Check it out.

SFGuy

« Reply #546 on: September 11, 2009, 12:05:07 AM »
A really GREAT Olbermann "special comment" tonite about the GOP being the Party of Stupidity. Dunno if it's on the Tubes of You, but it's surely at the MSNBC/"Countdown" website. Check it out.

I cannot STAND Olbermann. He just seems so arrogant. I've hated him since way back in the ESPN days when he would team with another arrogant person. Dan Patrick. Those two show up on my TV and turned it to anything else I could find.

SFGuy

« Reply #547 on: September 11, 2009, 12:08:17 AM »
Let the fucker do it.  Let him see on the damn trail what a horrid lot the GOP base has become.  (Why the moderate and intellectual wings of the Republican party aren't trying to reclaim its mantle from the torch-wielding flath-earthers is beyond me - unless there really aren't so many of them after all.)  Schill's one of those beautifully deluded guys who knows what he knows but does not know what he does not know.

which is precisely why he'd fit in quite well with that crowd -- he's a Fundie, after all -- and he and the nut-jobs will get along famously, methinks.

And no, there *is* no moderate wing of the GOP anymore.

No moderates left is the reason why I left the GOP and am "Declined to State" in CA. I wish we could register as an Independent in CA. I hate the Demos as much as I hate the GOP.

I'm curious, from a legal angle, if the "Decline to State" option, which in CA allows you to vote in either Dem or GOP primaries, is preferable to being a registered Independent, which might preclude that. Anybody know for sure?

I read a few weeks ago that the GOP in the state is thinking of not allowing "Decline to State" people to vote in their primaries. The Dems will still allow it.

As I remember, the GOP didn't allow "DTS" to vote in the 2008 primaries for President.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: September 11, 2009, 12:19:51 PM »
I hope it is the long-overdue wakeup call to the middle of the political spectrum.  These Republicans have lost all sense of shame & should have lost any credibility with moderates & independents once and for all.

Key phase there being "should have"... I would dearly love to believe it, but we seem to say that every time one of these idiots does something, er, idiotic. And nothing changes. A poll last week said a significantly increased number of people are self-identifying as Repubs now, compared to the end of last year.  Sorry, but the ugliness has only begun, if the Rethugs think it's actually getting them somehwere.  >:(

saw this in the NYT today, a stat that I'd missed last year: in Louisiana, Obama only got 11% of the white vote -- in a state that is 3/4 white. And yet they elected Jindal governor.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 12, 2009, 02:22:43 AM »

saw this in the NYT today, a stat that I'd missed last year: in Louisiana, Obama only got 11% of the white vote -- in a state that is 3/4 white. And yet they elected Jindal governor.

Jindal = Stephin Fetchit.

Anyone want to prove me I'm wrong?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #550 on: September 14, 2009, 08:43:06 AM »
teabaggers in action:
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: September 14, 2009, 08:50:54 AM »
teabaggers in action:

damn that is classic!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 14, 2009, 12:02:30 PM »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: September 15, 2009, 01:16:26 AM »
Former footballer Jay Riemersma (Whose ma? Reimersma!) is running for Congress ... as a theocrat.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/09/14/former-nfl-player-to-run-for-congres/#more-68902

Former NFL player to run for Congress
Posted: September 14th, 2009 07:26 PM ET

From CNN's Lauren Kornreich

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Former professional football player Jay Riemersma announced Monday that he is running for Congress in Michigan in 2010.

The GOP candidate is running for the seat being vacated by Rep. Peter Hoekstra, a Republican vying to become the next governor of Michigan. Riemersma set up an exploratory committee in June, but made it official on Monday with a speech in Holland, Michigan.

Comparing Congress to the National Football League, the former Buffalo Bills tight end promised to "never vote to raise your taxes."

"I'm announcing my candidacy today because we need a Republican renaissance – a return to our conservative principles of governance – and I'm ready to help lead this movement," Riemersma said, in remarks released by his campaign.

Since retiring from professional sports, Riemersma has been working for the conservative Family Research Council and coaching high school football. In November 2008, he penned a letter to the editor in the Holland Sentinal entitled "How could Christians vote for Obama?"

In the article, he said that "faith should permeate every aspect of our lives" and said any Christian who chose to support Barack Obama's presidential bid did so "from a lack of understanding."

"Too many Christians shroud their God-given light with misguided intentions and uninformed choices," Riemersma wrote. "Moving forward to the next election, I implore all Christians to base their vote not on a political party or a polished politician, but rather on Biblical principle."

Riemersma already has other opponents in the Republican primary — state Rep. Bill Huizenga announced last December that he is running, and state Sen. Wayne Kuipers is reportedly considering a bid.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 18, 2009, 03:21:24 PM »
Holy S**T! Bill O'Reilly backs Public Option on Health Care!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/17/bill-oreilly-backs-public_n_290658.html

Pigs fly! Glenn Beck's and Keith Olbermann's heads explode simultaneously! 

Now if we could just get Max Baucus on board...