Author Topic: 14 Aug 2008: 1974!  (Read 11305 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 14 Aug 2008: 1974!
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2008, 10:41:21 AM »
Excellent, EXCELLENT set--def a keeper.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2008, 10:42:14 AM »
Since we have no more entries in the Tony Burrows sweepstakes, I'll tell you that it's "Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)".  It actually has a pretty good intro, so it's not that bad as a ringtone.

Tell her you want her to plant some rosemary in your herb garden, and then you can sing to her, "Rosemary Grows (Where My Love Goes)".
There ya go.  We actually have a bunch of  rosemary already -- it's pretty hard to control.  Ripped a ton of it out of the backyard.  Not that this matters in any way.

same thing in our backyard.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2008, 11:11:56 AM »
Annalisa's bonus:

You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2008, 12:49:58 PM »
Good old Tony Burrows.  I didn't know he was British.  He's responsible for two of my wife's favorite songs that irritate me.  Can ya guess the other one?

In the early 1960s he was a member of The Kestrels, a vocal harmony group which also included the future songwriting team Roger Greenaway and Roger Cook. Subsequently he joined The Ivy League (unfortunately after their hit-making days). He was still with them when they metamorphosed into The Flower Pot Men. The Flower Pot Men only ever had the one hit, "Let's Go to San Francisco", which nevertheless reached number four in the UK Singles Chart in the autumn of 1967. Two founding members of Deep Purple, Jon Lord and Nick Simper, were also part of the band.

Later, Burrows sang the lead vocals on several hit songs under different group names, Edison Lighthouse's "Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)" (April 1970); White Plains' "My Baby Loves Lovin'" (July 1970); The Pipkins' novelty song "Gimme Dat Ding" (July 1970); and The First Class' "Beach Baby" (October 1974). With these four hits, he may be music's most prolific "one-hit wonder". He also sang lead vocals on The Brotherhood of Man's "United We Stand", which did not top the UK charts but reached the Top 10 in the US.

For general group edification, here's the L-O-O-O-N-G version of "Let's Go to San Francisco."  Very much like the Beach Boys, but even more like Sagittarius's "My World Fell Down," which I hope some of you have heard before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rknrzKtYpEQ
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2008, 01:06:43 PM »
For general group edification, here's the L-O-O-O-N-G version of "Let's Go to San Francisco."  Very much like the Beach Boys, but even more like Sagittarius's "My World Fell Down," which I hope some of you have heard before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rknrzKtYpEQ

I'd first heard it on CG a few years ago. The thru-line from that to "Beach Baby" is pretty clear.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2008, 01:08:01 PM »
Annalisa's bonus:

OOPS! "Slip Kid" is from '75, Annalisa.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2008, 03:18:15 PM »
8/14/08 – Thursday!  Great tunes from…1974!!!

1.  Elton John – The Bitch is Back
2.  Grand Funk – Shinin’ On
3.  Little Feat – Oh Atlanta
4.  First Class – Beach Baby (BEST OF SET!!)
5.  Raspberries – Overnight Sensation
6.  America – Tin Man
7.  NRBQ – Get That Gasoline Blues
8.  Lynyrd Skynyrd – Call Me the Breeze
9.  David Bowie – Rebel, Rebel
10. Boz Scaggs – Slow Dancer

BONUS TRACK:  Who – Slip Kid