Author Topic: 1982 on Fri 5/6/05  (Read 10097 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Phil Collins live "In the Air Tonight"
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2005, 08:17:52 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
time to go back to bed!  I've been sick for a week.

feel better to you too -- is it that bronchitis-y thing thats making the rounds in SF? I had a fairly mild version of it a few weeks back.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
1982 on Fri 5/6/05
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2005, 08:25:49 AM »
I guess the plane's down in Africa again.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1982 on Fri 5/6/05
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2005, 08:26:40 AM »
Yup, it's your typical Drive sausage party.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
1982 on Fri 5/6/05
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2005, 08:32:12 AM »
VHM Crock o'Seagulls.  Saw them at NYC's Peppermint Lounge one hot August nite that summer, silly hair and all..

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1982 on Fri 5/6/05
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2005, 08:32:48 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

Dave Marsh on Toto:  "...all chops and no brains.  Formula pop songs, singing that wouldn't go over in a Holiday Inn cocktail lounge...about as real as a Velveeta orange polyester leisure suit."

Jeff Porcaro on Dave Marsh, et al: "...dimwitted idiots, and I dare any publication to include a list of the writer's credentials beside the review.  Is he a musician?  What is his background, and what gives him the right to say this, besides that he's an illiterate, garbage-headed pig?"
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1982 on Fri 5/6/05
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2005, 08:34:18 AM »
The Drive doesn't often venture into OMGWTFLOL territory, but here we are!  It was the heat of the moment ...
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1982 on Fri 5/6/05
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2005, 08:35:45 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

Dave Marsh on Toto:  "...all chops and no brains.  Formula pop songs, singing that wouldn't go over in a Holiday Inn cocktail lounge...about as real as a Velveeta orange polyester leisure suit."

Jeff Porcaro on Dave Marsh, et al: "...dimwitted idiots, and I dare any publication to include a list of the writer's credentials beside the review.  Is he a musician?  What is his background, and what gives him the right to say this, besides that he's an illiterate, garbage-headed pig?"

Dave Marsh is *not* the critic you want to take on with that line of attack.  Someone like me, sure, but not someone with Marsh's c.v.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
1982 on Fri 5/6/05
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2005, 08:36:03 AM »

LSHIPMP!

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1982 on Fri 5/6/05
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2005, 08:37:50 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
The Drive doesn't often venture into OMGWTFLOL territory, but here we are!  It was the heat of the moment ...

I still like this as far as a signifier of the times, but on closer inspection this really is a guilty pleasure of the worst sort:

Do you remember when we used to dance?
And incidents arose from circumstance.

Aaacckk!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1982 on Fri 5/6/05
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2005, 08:38:13 AM »
BOS: "Every one of my records MEANS something!!!"

I understand completely.  (And I'm astonished that I've still never seen that movie.)

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1982 on Fri 5/6/05
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2005, 08:39:08 AM »
BOS - Shrevie from Diner.

Such a great movie, so many great lines.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
1982 on Fri 5/6/05
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2005, 08:41:11 AM »

Dave Marsh is *not* the critic you want to take on with that line of attack.  Someone like me, sure, but not someone with Marsh's c.v.

And his c.v.  includes what? aside from turning Springsteen into his own personal cottage industry, that is.

I saw him in that docu about CKLW last year -- I was astounded, he was even dweebier than I'd imagined him.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1982 on Fri 5/6/05
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2005, 08:46:21 AM »
And his c.v.  includes what? aside from turning Springsteen into his own personal cottage industry, that is.

Um, co-founding Creem magazine?  Editor at Rolling Stone for 15 years?  I know how you feel about the guy and don't need to go down that road again, but you can't deny that he's done stuff besides write gushingly about Broooce.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
1982 on Fri 5/6/05
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2005, 08:54:01 AM »

Um, co-founding Creem magazine?  Editor at Rolling Stone for 15 years?  I know how you feel about the guy and don't need to go down that road again, but you can't deny that he's done stuff besides write gushingly about Broooce.

yeah yeah OK those are worthy credits. I just think he's been way too inconsistent, in the years since his, er, glory days.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1982 on Fri 5/6/05
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2005, 09:45:21 AM »
What are they singing here in "Athena":

"She's a ball"?
"She's the bomb"?
"She's a bone"?
"She's appalled"?

I heard this song yesterday afternoon on A to Z. Officially, I think Pete's singing "she's a bomb" ("the bomb" was not part of the vernacular in 1982) but his pronounciation is so weird that it could easily be heard as any of your choices.
Let's get right to it.