Author Topic: KBCO, 7/6/07: 1976  (Read 5769 times)

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
KBCO, 7/6/07: 1976
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2007, 09:43:54 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Sorry to be a film dullard, but what was that bit of sexual nihilism from?

The premise in Logan's Run is that there is a perfect society in the future, everyone is beautiful, plenty of everything (incl. sex) for everyone, etc.  The catch is after you turn 30 you have to go someplace else, and it turns out that someplace else is actually the morgue.  Kind of like the recent flick The Island, except without the cloning/organ donor aspect.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2007, 09:47:42 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

the classic Logan's Run, iirc. How sad you've never seen LR but you can quote the dreadfully overrated Napoleon Dynamite --talk about nihilism! :wink:

Time's Joe Klein (or was it Ana Marie Cox?) recently noted that the present administration is running under Napoleonic principles: Cheney as liger, W doing whatever he feels like he wants to do, gosh!

Thanks for filling me in on LR, guys.  I have heard of the film but haven't seen it for myself.  I'm afraid I just don't know how to fit movie-catching-up into my life.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2007, 09:48:05 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

The premise in Logan's Run is that there is a perfect society in the future, everyone is beautiful, plenty of everything (incl. sex) for everyone, etc.  The catch is after you turn 30 you have to go someplace else, and it turns out that someplace else is actually the morgue.  Kind of like the recent flick The Island, except without the cloning/organ donor aspect.

Needless to say (Hollywood being Hollywood), a remake of LR is in development.  I'm waiting for Soylent Green 2, myself.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2007, 09:49:37 AM »

the classic Logan's Run, iirc. How sad you've never seen LR but you can quote the dreadfully overrated Napoleon Dynamite --talk about nihilism! :wink:

Time's Joe Klein (or was it Ana Marie Cox?) recently noted that the present administration is running under Napoleonic principles: Cheney as liger, W doing whatever he feels like he wants to do, gosh!

Dubya listens to "Jack" -- he plays whatever he feels like!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2007, 09:50:27 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

Needless to say (Hollywood being Hollywood), a remake of LR is in development.  I'm waiting for Soylent Green 2, myself.

I presume a band of MILFs will save the day in the LR redux?

Soylent Green 2 would have to be about GMOs, no?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2007, 09:59:41 AM »
a band of MILFs

that sounds like a Comedy Central sitcom waiting to happen.