Author Topic: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 8/18/08  (Read 13736 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 8/18/08
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2008, 04:41:58 PM »
Barry Scott repeats one from the CGSS whose vocals and lyrics make me cringe: "Shame, Shame, Shame."  (Shirley & Co.?)

It is a pretty horrendous vocal. Amazing that she's the same Shirley (Goodman) of Shirley and Lee who did "Let the Good Times Roll" in 1956!

I had to mention 2 lost gems (well, one's a gem, anyway) that JJ played last nite...

The gem: Creative Source's "You Can't Hide Love", which is, yes, the same song as EWF's "Can't Hide Love", which I never knew was a cover until JJ trotted it out last year -- CS's version was out 2 years before EWF's!

The non-gem: "The Devil is Dope", an hilariously bad anti-drug song about going to hell by the Dramatics of all people -- this thing made JB's "King Heroin" seem like a Shakespearean recitation. I'm still trying to get ahold of their cover of H&O's "Do What You Want, Be What You Are".
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2008, 05:28:06 PM »
Barry brings out a favorite I haven't thought about, much less heard, in years: Sutherland Brothers and Quiver, "You Got Me Anyway."  Really should've been a smash.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2008, 05:53:02 PM »
Tom T. Hall just told a great story on "Lost 45s": He was to perform "I Love" on an NBC show, but they insisted he change the "I love ... borboun in a glass/ and grass" line.  So he went with "Old country homes/ And snow."

Heh.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2008, 05:56:44 PM »
NTM and very much OMGWTFLOL: Cher, "War Paint and Soft Feathers."  Her trilogy of tragedy heads off the rez and into a Romeo and Juliet meets internecine tribal battle.  It's almost as cra-zay as "Pirate."