Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 463031 times)

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #1140 on: May 15, 2013, 05:39:08 AM »
Quote from a friend r/ Live 105 (specifically about a Seahorses song):

once upon a time, Live 105 had more than stone temple pilots' first album, RHCP's greatest hits and "now that's what i call grunge! vol 3" on rotation. those were the days....

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: May 15, 2013, 09:52:20 AM »
ETA: 8:30 "modern mix" was a 12" version of "True Faith".

I wonder if they've had him cut back on the rare 80s tracks or if this week is just happens to be a little sparse.  I haven't heard a 7:30-ish vinyl track this week so far (he played "Lips Like Sugar" but that doesn't really qualify IMO) and this morning's 8:30 modern mix was a Depeche Mode track, albeit a very obscure one.  The logs don't show much out of the ordinary either, but often times the really obscure ones don't appear.  On the other hand, they showed "This Corrosion" by Sisters of Mercy at 6:30 this morning.

Also, The Primitives' "Crash" is popping up at all hours as much as the rest of the requisite overplayed 80s tracks.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: May 15, 2013, 11:45:29 AM »
The Primitives' "Crash" is popping up at all hours as much as the rest of the requisite overplayed 80s tracks.

indeed, that hoariest of New Wave chestnuts, "I Melt With You" has been coming up rather often.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: May 16, 2013, 07:35:23 AM »
ETA: 8:30 "modern mix" was a 12" version of "True Faith".

I wonder if they've had him cut back on the rare 80s tracks or if this week is just happens to be a little sparse.  I haven't heard a 7:30-ish vinyl track this week

This morning's 7:30 flashback was St Etienne's fab cover of "Only Love Can Break Your Heart". Nice.

ETA: 8:30 we get M/A/R/R/S "Pump Up the Volume" which I'm surprised Kiss-FM doesn't have in heavy rotation. Put da needle on da record!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 08:35:00 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: May 16, 2013, 08:29:46 AM »
What Mumford hath wrought:  Live 105 is playing this song called "F-ing Around". That phrase appears dozens of times in the lyric and the F-word is bleeped each time.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: May 16, 2013, 10:51:49 AM »
What Mumford hath wrought:  Live 105 is playing this song called "F-ing Around". That phrase appears dozens of times in the lyric and the F-word is bleeped each time.

"If you resort to swearing, you don't know how to use the English language properly."

--- Howard Stern
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: May 20, 2013, 08:05:11 AM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: May 20, 2013, 08:23:42 AM »
The cluelessness of the average person regarding radio is often astounding. Masters was wandering around BFD yesterday interviewing people and the number of people AT A LIVE 105 EVENT who didn't know that Live 105 was sponsoring the show (!), or who didn't even know there was a station called Live 105 (!!) was just mind-blowing. 

These are the same sort of people who tell Renee she's wonderful and vote for the biggest uber-LNs for BOS every day.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: May 20, 2013, 11:45:49 AM »
The cluelessness of the average person regarding radio is often astounding. Masters was wandering around BFD yesterday interviewing people and the number of people AT A LIVE 105 EVENT who didn't know that Live 105 was sponsoring the show (!), or who didn't even know there was a station called Live 105 (!!) was just mind-blowing. 

These are the same sort of people who tell Renee she's wonderful and vote for the biggest uber-LNs for BOS every day.

Eek, but I'm sadly not surprised. :-\ A lot of people just go because they hear there's something big going on and they want a piece, and/or they tag along with their friends who at least know what Live 105 is.

There have also been many times where I've been to a concert and there's an astounding number of people who have no clue who the main band is, or know anything about them other than "I've heard a song or two of theirs that I don't remember what it's called, but I'll remember when I hear it."  Erm...

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: May 26, 2013, 05:23:01 AM »
an excellent read, regarding the state of radio:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/17/showbiz/hfr-music-radio/index.html?iref=allsearch

Although quite lengthy it is an interesting article.  I haven't finished yet,
but I did skim ahead to find my suspicions confirmed.  In short, the sorry state
of music radio these days is in large part due to corporate greed, followed by
corporate greed squared.  In other words, the consolidation facilitated by the
Telecommunications Reform Act of 1996, followed by the LBO of Clear
Channel by Bain Capital (!) in 2008.

Margot Chobanian, former music director of Atlanta's now-defunct DaveFM, says the trend has been to cut back on DJs and their patter because ratings show that people don't like chatter.

She doesn't agree with that interpretation of the data though. What corporations don't understand, she says, is that the amount of DJ chatter has nothing do with tuning out -- it's the quality of what the DJs say.

"(People) were engaged by the DJs," Chobanian says.

I know that Things Are Different Today (tm), what with the myriad entertainment
options available, but Back In The Day (tm), we actually cared about and enjoyed
what the jocks had to say.  Some of it was information and trivia about the music
and the groups they played.  Knowing about that stuff was actually a requirement
for DJs -- imagine that!  But their patter also included personal observations and
anecdotes that were an integral part of their shows.  WNEW-FM's Jonathon Schwartz
was particularly noted for this; in one clip archived on the Internet he regales the
audience for nearly ten minutes about trying to retrieve a letter to a girlfriend from the
post office in a snowstorm after realizing it contained a minor mistake.  Such an indulgence
wouldn't be tolerated today, but it used to be a regular occurance.  If you were driving
and had reached your destination, you would stay in the car listening to the radio until
the story was finished.  It was an important part of how on-air personalities connected
with listeners, and how radio stations distinguished themselves and established unique
identities.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: May 30, 2013, 08:19:16 AM »
I'm a little late to the party on Icona Pop's "I Love it (I Don't Care)" -- it came out last year and I didn't really get hip to it until it showed up in that Shoedazzle.com  commercial recently -- but now it's a total earworm for me. Catchy as fuck.  I love it. And I don't care.

Live 105 has been playing it a lot the last few weeks; today for the fir time they played it uncensored. There's a verse that goes

You're on a different road, I'm in the milky way
You want me down on earth, but I am up in space
You're so damn hard to please, we gotta kill this switch
You're from the 70's, but I'm a 90's bitch

and they had been bleeping "Bitch"... but not this morning.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: May 30, 2013, 09:13:47 AM »
I'm a little late to the party on Icona Pop's "I Love it (I Don't Care)" -- it came out last year and I didn't really get hip to it until it showed up in that Shoedazzle.com  commercial recently -- but now it's a total earworm for me. Catchy as fuck.  I love it. And I don't care.

Live 105 has been playing it a lot the last few weeks; today for the fir time they played it uncensored. There's a verse that goes

Live 105 spun it for a couple of weeks last year and dropped it.   They probably picked up on it again because it's rocketing up the pop charts, which I was shocked about as I think of them as an alterna-hipster girl duo, which isn't usually CHR/Pop's cup of tea.  IIRC last year they played the "bitch" version most of the time (which is the one you heard this morning).  Now, they usually play "chick".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: May 30, 2013, 09:27:35 AM »

Live 105 spun it for a couple of weeks last year and dropped it.   They probably picked up on it again because it's rocketing up the pop charts, which I was shocked about as I think of them as an alterna-hipster girl duo, which isn't usually CHR/Pop's cup of tea.  IIRC last year they played the "bitch" version most of the time (which is the one you heard this morning).  Now, they usually play "chick".

it's getting played at hockey games and whatnot -- the Kings were playing it during the Sharks game Tues nite.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: May 31, 2013, 08:50:22 AM »
Steve Masters' traffic chick, Vanessa, just did her last report. She's leaving, no indication where to.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: June 02, 2013, 06:00:49 PM »
Any Rick Dees fans left in the world?  he's now carried locally on 92.7 The Rev, 6-10 am.

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/118075/royce-adds-rick-dees-in-mornings-for-san-francisco#ixzz2SZ5BVPS3

Attention Big Fingers McG: In addition to the above, 92.7 is also running Mr Dees' "Weekly Top 40" countdown on Sunday afternoons.