Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 462929 times)

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #1080 on: April 03, 2013, 09:15:29 PM »
Damn, there's more to read in this forum today then there has over the last month, or so it seems. Let's keep it up!

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: April 03, 2013, 09:16:17 PM »

ETA: AL will have a "big announcement" tomo'w morn at 6:15 "right after 'Breakfast with the Stones' " (hint, hint).  Guess KFOG will also be mentioning it. Presumably Live 105 will not.

Tim/Gory mentioned a "major, major concert announcement" tomorrow morning, so you are probably right. Certain GS folk are probably putting on extra Depends even as we speak.

If the Stones and Springsteen ever toured together... nah, that's too easy.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: April 04, 2013, 07:51:22 AM »
one of Mr Masters' nuggets this morning was the Chrissie/Moodswings "State of Independence" -- the MLK mix, on this the 45th anniv of his death.

OK, I hoped that I was mondegreening that Atlas Genius song but they really are saying "Your Trojans in my head" er, WTFF?

and here's James, "Laid", which would easily make my list of 'best singles of the 90s'

ETA: but this is odd -- they're playing Franz Ferdinand's "Take Me Out" for the 2nd time in 2 hours.

OMFG: they played "Dominatrix Sleeps Tonight"!   That one was *huge* on NY alt-radio (WLIR) back in the day. It was on my AL wish list but I never did get her to play it.

Hrm: I did not expect Live 105 to play something as mainstream as the Police, "Message in a Bottle".  What's next, "The Tide is High"?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 01:53:59 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: April 05, 2013, 07:35:00 AM »
More Live 105 forgotten gems: Masters just played Wire Train's "Chamber of Hello" which I'd never heard until Dave played it on 10@10.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: April 05, 2013, 12:12:45 PM »
tuned in to K-Fox to hear AL's "all-request lunch". She's doing that "last letter of one song title is the first letter of the next" thing again. And I'm hearing "No Matter What" in an unfamiliar version. Their website says it's Badfinger (and she backannounces it as such)  but it sure doesn't sound like their original.  Unforgivable if they have one of those re-recorded abominations in their library.

ETA: sure enuf, per Amazon, there is a re-recorded version of the song. For shame, K-Fox.

only mildly rare track so far: "South City Midnight lady" -- I'm much obliged to whoever requested it.

caller on phone making request: "uh, I'm pretty sure it's called... 'Yesterday'? I think it's a Beatles song?" er, yes and yes, oh uncertain one.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 12:50:25 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: April 08, 2013, 08:15:30 AM »
so we're a week into "Masters in the Morning" on Live 105.  It's nice to hear the occasional "oh wow!" forgotten alt-rock gem, but the show itself is strictly  from blandsville. This morning he's taking phone calls asking people to tell him their favorite TV show. Seriously?

I'll probably switch back-n-forth between him and KFOG. "Inoffensive" is the best that can be said about either station in morning drive.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: April 08, 2013, 01:43:02 PM »
so we're a week into "Masters in the Morning" on Live 105.  It's nice to hear the occasional "oh wow!" forgotten alt-rock gem, but the show itself is strictly  from blandsville. This morning he's taking phone calls asking people to tell him their favorite TV show. Seriously?

I'll probably switch back-n-forth between him and KFOG. "Inoffensive" is the best that can be said about either station in morning drive.

I heard the station play Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun" this morning. that's not the cutting edge station I remember.  :(

my first trip to the Fillmore was courtesy of Live 105: I won tix to see the B-52's back in July of 1989, and it might've been from Steve Master's himself.   I also won tix to see the Tom Tom Club from them, too.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: April 08, 2013, 01:58:19 PM »

I heard the station play Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun" this morning. that's not the cutting edge station I remember.  :(

that one comes up frequently.  For every truly haven't-heard-it-in-ages  alt memory-jogger, there are 5 far more mainstream oldies -- your U2s, your Simple Mindses, etc.  And of course they play most of the same currents as KFOG (Fun., Mumfords, the Mowglis) and just about as often as KFOG does.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: April 08, 2013, 02:24:55 PM »
Cute Live 105 interstitial: "This is Green Day. They live here. So we play their music. In case we run into them at Safeway."

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: April 08, 2013, 08:23:44 PM »
Cute Live 105 interstitial: "This is Green Day. They live here. So we play their music. In case we run into them at Safeway."

The best alt tagline I've heard:

"There are a number of radio stations based in this area. We are one of them'.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: April 10, 2013, 08:12:51 AM »
Nicest discovery from listening to Live 105 lately: Frank Turner, "Recovery", which I've become quite fond of -- if KFOG's not playing it... they should be. (ETA: Jeffreys just mentioned it as something we'll be hearing on New Releases Thurs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1L5zJ2afLs

meanwhile, Live 105 played some Sublime so I switched to KFOG... who were playing Counting Crows. I can't win, I tells ya!

BTW, I notice that the #1 song on the Triple-A chart is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO1q8Zwuc24

the latest Adele imitator, Serena Ryder -- this doesn't seem to be very big on either KFOG or Live 105, or maybe I'm just not listening often enuf.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:27:45 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: April 10, 2013, 03:41:34 PM »
TANC: on Live 105 right now, "Black Hole Sun", the 2nd time I've heard them play it today and easily the 6th or 7th time I've heard it (between them and KFOG) in the past week.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: April 11, 2013, 08:04:22 AM »
Is it me, or does the lead singer of Imagine Dragons sound like he's channeling Jazn Mrazzz?

« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 08:46:14 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: April 11, 2013, 11:59:54 AM »
Promo on Live 105 just now with a listenern saying: "what I like about Live 105 is that the deejays actually sound like they know what they're talking about. Unlike *cough* KFOG"

Wow, really?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: April 11, 2013, 12:25:53 PM »
Promo on Live 105 just now with a listenern saying: "what I like about Live 105 is that the deejays actually sound like they know what they're talking about. Unlike *cough* KFOG"

Wow, really?

That's ballsy. True, but ballsy.
Let's get right to it.