Author Topic: The Peak, week of 7/19/10  (Read 2522 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
The Peak, week of 7/19/10
« on: July 19, 2010, 07:27:22 AM »
Monday, it's 1976 - I think Mike will want to hear this replay!

Aerosmith Last Child
Wings Medicine Jar (NTM, not Paul singing, and I always thought Wings was just Paul McCartney and his wife and others, I really had no idea until late that it was real whole "band".)

marley  Positive Vibration - I sometimes feel like you hear on regae tune you've heard them all.  Then I realize that's close minded, and I don't feel that way.  But then I come back and say OK, you can play as many diff reggae tunes as you want, but there really no need to play anyone other than Bob Marley, jimmy Cliff and Peter Tosh

Tubes!  Don't! Touch me there!

Billy Joel - Say Goodbye to Hollywood - perennial RGM fave gets epic
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 07:34:37 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Peak, week of 7/19/10
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 07:33:52 AM »
Monday, it's 1976 - I think Mike will want to hear this replay!

will def listen tonite. And I see we got early Parsons ("Dr Tarr/Prof Feather") as well.  Rob knows his NYC-FM-in-the-'70s action.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 07:42:40 AM »
that APP reminded me a bit of Little River Band.

another artists I know mainly from 10 at 10 (thanks Dave Morey!) makes an appearance: Dwight Twilley.  This must be considered a "deep cut" b/c it's neither I'm On Fire nor Girls.
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 08:09:37 AM »
1976!

Thin Lizzy - Boys Are Back In Town
War - Summer
Aerosmith - Last Child
Wings - Medicine Jar
Bob Marley - Positive Vibration
Tubes - Don't Touch Me There
Billy Joel - Say Goodbye To Hollywood
Alan Parsons Project - The System Of Dr. Tarr And Professor Fether
Peter Frampton - Baby I Love Your Way
Dwight Twilley - Sincerely
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 08:13:51 AM »
1976!

Wings - Medicine Jar

was this a live version? 'cause the studio cut is from Venus & Mars, which was '75.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 08:28:50 AM »
1976!

Wings - Medicine Jar

was this a live version? 'cause the studio cut is from Venus & Mars, which was '75.
don't recall.  Rob did mention the Wings' '76 US Tour on the back announce, though.  maybe he played a little fast and loose here...?
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
1976!

Wings - Medicine Jar

don't recall.  Rob did mention the Wings' '76 US Tour on the back announce, though.  maybe he played a little fast and loose here...?

There is indeed a live version on Wings Over America, which came out just in time for Xmas '76.  But knowing Rob's penchant for date-specific sets, I'm thinking that LP was recorded during Wings' Summer-of-'76 tour. All the other songs in the set are from July(-ish).

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 09:48:33 AM »
Wings Medicine Jar (NTM, not Paul singing, and I always thought Wings was just Paul McCartney and his wife and others, I really had no idea until late that it was real whole "band".)
There is indeed a live version on Wings Over America, which came out just in time for Xmas '76.  But knowing Rob's penchant for date-specific sets, I'm thinking that LP was recorded during Wings' Summer-of-'76 tour. All the other songs in the set are from July(-ish).
I just listened to Wings Over America last week (following his recent SF show).  Yes, recorded during summer '76 tour, released that Dec.  Paul purposely featured other band members singing lead on LPs Venus & Mars and At The Speed of Sound and during '76 tour to showcase Wings as a band.  The lead on "Medicine Jar" is Jimmy McCulloch, talented young lead guitarist with Wings from '74-'77.  Unfortunately he died of an overdose in '79 at 26 (ironically "Medicine Jar" is an anti-drug song).  Denny Laine (ex of Moody Blues) was with Wings during their entire run '71-'80.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 08:09:10 AM »
Wed 7/21/10: 1968

mostly usual suspects: Hugh Masakela, Fever Tree, "Do It Again", "Hello I Love You". But nice to hear Rob remembers San Jose's own People.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 07:41:13 AM »
Thur 7/22/10: 1978

yeesh, even Rob succumbs to the "Dreadlock Holiday" virus. But rarities (ATBBs?) fron T.Heads ("The Girls Want to Be With the Boys") and Patti Smith ("Till Victory") make this one worth catching tonite. Also: Kinks, "RnR Fantasy" and Devo, "Satisfaction".