Author Topic: RIP John Fred  (Read 3152 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
RIP John Fred
« on: April 17, 2005, 10:55:44 AM »
Frontman of John Fred & his Playboy Band, of "Judy in Disguise" fame...

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1384709/posts

ah guess ah'll just take yo' glasses....
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
RIP John Fred
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 08:56:56 PM »
Here's the text, because I'd hate to see anyone go to FreeRepublic.com:

NEW ORLEANS (April 16) - John Fred Gourrier, best known for his 1960s hit - "Judy in Disguise (With Glasses)'' - died Friday at Tulane Hospital after being ill for months, his former manager said. He was 63.

Gourrier, who went by the stage name John Fred, had been ill for months, said his former manager, Lynn Ourso, of the Louisiana Department of Economic Development.

"He had a kidney transplant seven months ago," Ourso said. "Two months after that he had another operation to remove his old kidneys and that's when things went wrong. He'd basically been in and out of the hospital since then."

John Fred & His Playboy Band had a regional following in the South when they recorded their parody of the popular Beatles' song "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds," in 1967. Written by Gorrier and fellow band member Andrew Bernard, "Judy In Disguise" was recorded in New Orleans with the Fats Domino band on Dec. 17.

By Jan. 20, 1968 it had replaced another Beatles song, "Hello Goodbye," as the No. 1 song in the nation. The song, well orchestrated with a snappy beat, remained at the top of the charts for two weeks.

"I have a great picture of John with the Beatles when the band toured the United Kingdom at that time," Ourso said.

Although "Judy in Disguise" was the only Top 40 song the group ever had, Fred had made the charts before.

Fred formed his first group while he was still in high school and recorded a song titled "Shirley."

"That made the charts and he was invited to do the Alan Freed show in New York," Ourso said. "After that show he got a call from Dick Clark to be on American Bandstand. He told him he couldn't do it because he had to go home to play in a basketball game."

Fred was a student at Catholic High School in Baton Rouge at the time, Ourso said, and the basketball team was in the state championship race.

Fred played college basketball for a while at Southeastern Louisiana. And worked as a high school basketball coach at times.

"He performed all his life," Ourso said. "There was always a band."

The last performance was about three years ago, Ourso said.

"We played for the Senate every year," Ourso said. "He loved that gig."

Fred is survived by his wife, Sandra, and one son.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
RIP John Fred
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 07:32:08 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Here's the text, because I'd hate to see anyone go to FreeRepublic.com

Tell me what I obviously don't know about that site :?:  :?:  :?:

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
RIP John Fred
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 08:56:47 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

It's a conservative activist site.  In their own words, it's a place for "independent, grass-roots conservatives to share strategies and activist resources, and discuss issues of the day."  Unfortunately, most of those strategies are hiveminded dittoheadery lacking in active engagement of the issues.  The Freepers want you and me dead, Mike.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
RIP John Fred
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 09:02:10 AM »

It's a conservative activist site.  In their own words, it's a place for "independent, grass-roots conservatives to share strategies and activist resources, and discuss issues of the day."  Unfortunately, most of those strategies are hiveminded dittoheadery lacking in active engagement of the issues.  The Freepers want you and me dead, Mike.

Thanks. I heard about Mr Fred's death via Dick Bartley Sat nite (he also informed me about Jimmie Johnson) and Googled in search of a link to provide. freerepub was the only one that didn't involve registration. I'll never link again...

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
RIP John Fred
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 10:11:10 AM »
Googled in search of a link to provide. freerepub was the only one that didn't involve registration. I'll never link again...

No need to stop linking altogether -- I recommend going to Reuters.com and getting it from the horse's mouth, as it were.  My friend Donny has sold me on the value of getting the feeds directly, pre-spin.