Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 467045 times)

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #1260 on: July 09, 2014, 01:04:34 PM »
latest ratings are in:  KFOG bounces back up to a 2.2 (from a 1.9) and The Bone drops back again, as does Live 105. It really is a crapshoot every month; none of these stations (K-Fox too) is ever gonna beat the pants off the others.

In stat-speak, the movements of KFOG/Bone/Live 105, etc. can be described as "noise".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: July 22, 2014, 08:39:27 AM »
Story in today's Chron about Mike Krukow's degenerative muscle disease issues, which he's gone public with:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/nevius/article/Giants-broadcaster-Mike-Krukow-fighting-through-5637622.php

TANC: Lieberman blogged just yesterday, in one of his I can't-tell-you-who-told-me-this items, that Giants mgmt were "unhappy" about Kruk, Kuip and Miller taking "too much time off". (this despite the fact that a nasty virus had ripped thru the Giants clubhouse recently -- and the announcers are all over 60. sheesh)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: July 30, 2014, 09:47:00 AM »
Took a look at 5 or 6 hours worth of Alice 97.3's "recently played" lists... DAMN they play alot of Katy Perry. She comes up once an hour, on average. And we complain about KFOG overdoing Train or DMB or Tom Petty!

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: August 03, 2014, 02:48:30 PM »
Took a look at 5 or 6 hours worth of Alice 97.3's "recently played" lists... DAMN they play alot of Katy Perry. She comes up once an hour, on average. And we complain about KFOG overdoing Train or DMB or Tom Petty!

On our cross-country trip, if there was one constant amongst radio stations (apart, of course from too many commercials), it was too much damn Katy Perry.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: August 05, 2014, 11:22:15 AM »
listening to my buddy Brian Bannon on WLNG and he was trying to give away tix to an oldies show. The question: "Who sang 'Da Doo Ron Ron'?" 

First caller: "the Shondells"

Second caller: "The Jersey Boys"

seriously?

third caller got it right but this is an OLDIES station aimed at an older-than-dirt demo, fer chrissakes.  (they were looking for The Crystals but I wonder if they'd've accepted Shaun Cassidy).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 11:23:48 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: August 07, 2014, 02:35:27 PM »
On my trip to Sac'to and back today, I discovered a real interesting station up there, 97.5 KDEE

http://www.kdeefm.org/

They're a low-power "community station" that plays mostly Old School music but they have (they claim) a playlist of 7,000 songs. It's like Kiss-FM without the white people, and among the gems I heard that I've never heard on Kiss were Whodini, "Freaks Come Out at Night", Stacy Lattisaw, "Attack of the Name Game" and Gwen Guthrie "Nothin' Goin' on But the Rent".  They also went as far back as JB's "Make it Funky" and Hugh Masekela's "Grazin in the Grass". Def adding them to my streaming rotation.

Closer to home, I tuned past the Bone during Seaweed's Request Lunch Hour and heard the J Geils version of "First I Look at the Purse" (!).

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: August 07, 2014, 09:31:35 PM »
On my trip to Sac'to and back today, I discovered a real interesting station up there, 97.5 KDEE

They're a low-power "community station" that plays mostly Old School music but they have (they claim) a playlist of 7,000 songs. It's like Kiss-FM without the white people, and among the gems I heard that I've never heard on Kiss were Whodini, "Freaks Come Out at Night", Stacy Lattisaw, "Attack of the Name Game" and Gwen Guthrie "Nothin' Goin' on But the Rent".  They also went as far back as JB's "Make it Funky" and Hugh Masekela's "Grazin in the Grass". Def adding them to my streaming rotation.

Closer to home, I tuned past the Bone during Seaweed's Request Lunch Hour and heard the J Geils version of "First I Look at the Purse" (!).

Keyword: Look
Slipping into something
And out of something else

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: August 08, 2014, 07:51:29 AM »

Yeah, I was unaware the Weed Man did that "keyword" thing -- borrowed from Connected, I'm assuming. I may have to listen to him at lunchtime more often.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: August 08, 2014, 11:47:23 AM »

Yeah, I was unaware the Weed Man did that "keyword" thing -- borrowed from Connected, I'm assuming. I may have to listen to him at lunchtime more often.

I'm not sure that Connected predates the Weed Man's Lunch. He stretches the heck out of that keyword, though. A line from a song that goes, "Hey, man, take a look at this," would qualify the song. Also, rarities are certainly played, but, as you might imagine, genre boundaries are not explored; you might get obscure Bone Rock, you might get familiar Bone Rock, but you're definitely getting Bone Rock.
Slipping into something

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: August 12, 2014, 12:39:36 PM »

I'm not sure that Connected predates the Weed Man's Lunch. He stretches the heck out of that keyword, though. A line from a song that goes, "Hey, man, take a look at this," would qualify the song. Also, rarities are certainly played, but, as you might imagine, genre boundaries are not explored; you might get obscure Bone Rock, you might get familiar Bone Rock, but you're definitely getting Bone Rock.

Today's keyword is goodbye, in tribute to Robin Williams. Some of the selections are quite predictable (several übers in front of the LN predictable), and they're all very sentimental, but it's working in this context.
Slipping into something

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: August 12, 2014, 01:13:38 PM »
This morning Chris Jackson on KUFX was talking about Robin Williams (natch), and I called in to suggest that Chris take a listen to Johnny Carson's final night, when the only two guests he had were RW & Bette M.  (this was the first thing I looked up when I heard the news, btw).

About the clip:

Robin Williams gets a really nice intro from Johnny, and given that it was Johnny's farewell, it also plays quite nicely as a farewell to Williams (and after yesterday I defy anyone to have a dry eye!). 

Williams goes ballistic as usual, and this was May '92, and apparently only 1 or 2 days after Quayle had gone off on Murphy Brown.  So both Johnny in his monologue & everything after was rich with material.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjLVcBe2O6w

They make a salient point about Comic Relief, and then Williams encourages Johnny to run for office.  Eventually Johnny introduces his only other live guest, the divine Ms. M., & she does a number (I admit that I am remiss in not yet having seen 20 Feet From Stardom, but if those two gals weren't in there then it's a crying shame).  BUT...

...after she sits down, Bette eventually mentions that she knows that one of Johnny's favorite songs is some ballad from the 40's and they proceed to do an entirely impromptu duet - right there at the desk! (which Johnny never, EVER did!) ((it's a long clip, but at the 26:10 mark you can hear the audience actually gasp when they realize that Johnny is singing!)) - and it's a tearjerker in the extreme. And then Bette does "One More for My Baby, and One More For the Road", and the camera keeps panning back to Johnny.

And now 22 yrs later I think is is a profound sendoff for RW.  There's a brief camera angle on RW when Johnny & Bette are singing & he is totally choked up.

Back to the present...the instant I tell Chris Jackson that I had an idea for a Robin Williams moment, he pulls up a different segment from the Tonight Show, and then another one, and this was just for the two of us.  It didn't air, and he stuck with me for several minutes and played at least 3 different clips, asked me what I thought of them, and eventually he asked if he needed to cheer ME up!?  We agreed that if Williams was really suffering from that level of depression, then, CJ's words, "...a lot of people would say he was a coward for taking his life, but really...every day he had to climb Mt Everest just to do what he did, so that was actually pretty courageous"

Couldn't agree more, but still so sad.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 08:23:04 AM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: August 12, 2014, 01:44:47 PM »
This morning Chris Jackson on FUFX was talking about Robin Williams (natch), and I called in to suggest that Chris take a listen to Johnny Carson's final night ....

<...>

Couldn't agree more, but still so sad.

very nice, Shray.  thanks for writing this...!
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: August 12, 2014, 09:39:25 PM »
Can't find confirmation anywhere, but someone posted on AL's FB page that K-Fox got rid of Big Rick. He's still on their website, FWIW.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: August 13, 2014, 10:45:58 AM »
Can't find confirmation anywhere, but someone posted on AL's FB page that K-Fox got rid of Big Rick. He's still on their website, FWIW.

If they did, it happened very recently, 'cause he posted this KFOX blog yesterday:

http://www.kfox.com/iTunes-Honors-Robin-Williams/17790021?pid=420662&do=1&stnBlogPage=true
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: August 13, 2014, 10:57:34 AM »

If they did, it happened very recently, 'cause he posted this KFOX blog yesterday:

http://www.kfox.com/iTunes-Honors-Robin-Williams/17790021?pid=420662&do=1&stnBlogPage=true

yeah, he's still on the website. "Listen to Big Rick to win Frampton tix!" Guess maybe the guy who posted on AL's wall was drunk.

ETA: Mystery solved -- nearly 2 weeks ago (!) the SF version of KFOX at 102.1 became "Q-102". A rhythmic Top 40 (as if SF needs another one of those).

http://www.q102sf.com

KFOX remains at 98.5 in SJ.  Talk about a format change that got zero publicity. (I found this on one of the radio message boards).

But hey: good news for Cumulus. KFOX no longer in SF means their Classic Rock listeners go to The Bone (and to a lesser extent KFOG). Only a handful of Sharks fans will miss that simulcast.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 11:27:48 AM by RGMike »