Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 407020 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: really?
« Reply #510 on: October 13, 2007, 10:38:50 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "RGMike"
Just announced:

"The Ronnie Spector Christmas Party featuring the Ronettes"  Sat Dec 8th at the Herbst Theater.

Could this really be?  Is there any more info?  I would love to see a live show of the Phil Spector Christmas Album.

Funny you should say that -- in the late '80s NYC's Bottom Line nightclub did exactly that. Ronnie, Darlene, a tight band, and Paul Shaffer (as Phil) recreated the whole LP twice a night for a week.  It was fabulous.

This new thing is just Ronnie and "the Ronettes" -- no idea if they're the orig girls or if she's just hired ringers.  Tix are $45 to $75. I saw Petula Clark there earlier this year.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
BRIDGE BENEFIT
« Reply #511 on: October 15, 2007, 09:53:44 PM »
If any of you want to go to the Bridge Bene at the end of this month, Ticketmaster just released tickets in sect 101. Rows U-W are selling now as I type this.
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
David Freiberg Alert!
« Reply #512 on: October 25, 2007, 05:52:54 PM »
  • November 24 (one show only: 7:00 pm): David Freiberg $40         
                   David Freiberg
                   Dave Freiberg the co-founder of Quicksilver Messenger Service and Jefferson Starship will    perform a rare 'solo' concert with family, friends and special guests. David has recorded with 'everyone,' such as Paul Kantner, Grace Slick, David Crosby, Jerry Garcia, Phil Lesh, Mickey Hart, and Tower of Power and has composed songs with Grateful Dead lyricist Robert Hunter, Quick Silver Messenger Service, and Jefferson Starship, including their chart topping "Jane." He is the musical embodiment of "Summer of Love" spirit and this unique performance will feature music from Quicksilver, Airplane/Starship and Grateful Dead and other assorted compositions from that halcyon era.  He will be accompanied by legendary Bay Area and Quicksilver singer Linda Imperial, Jefferson Starship keyboardist Chris Smith and others.

• this is all at
    http://www.ledsonhotel.com/jazz.html
    Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
    • Transcendent Typist
      • View Profile
    Re: David Freiberg Alert!
    « Reply #513 on: October 25, 2007, 09:50:42 PM »
    Quote from: "ggould"
  • November 24 (one show only: 7:00 pm): David Freiberg $40         
                   David Freiberg
                   Dave Freiberg the co-founder of Quicksilver Messenger Service and Jefferson Starship will    perform a rare 'solo' concert with family, friends and special guests. David has recorded with 'everyone,' such as Paul Kantner, Grace Slick, David Crosby, Jerry Garcia, Phil Lesh, Mickey Hart, and Tower of Power and has composed songs with Grateful Dead lyricist Robert Hunter, Quick Silver Messenger Service, and Jefferson Starship, including their chart topping "Jane." He is the musical embodiment of "Summer of Love" spirit and this unique performance will feature music from Quicksilver, Airplane/Starship and Grateful Dead and other assorted compositions from that halcyon era.  He will be accompanied by legendary Bay Area and Quicksilver singer Linda Imperial, Jefferson Starship keyboardist Chris Smith and others.

• this is all at
    http://www.ledsonhotel.com/jazz.html

I've been mightily impressed by Freiberg's vocal talents both times I've seen him live; that he only wags a tambourine and looks like an old German grandmother needn't take away.  Didn't know he had a Tower of Power connection.
    “The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
    • Transcendent Typist
      • View Profile
    The Concert Thread
    « Reply #514 on: October 26, 2007, 09:30:06 AM »
    Great Bruce show last night.  Got myself on air about 8:00 talking about it, and Ali heard it and called me.

Went with Davefish & we met Yessongs (Rich) there with a friend of his, hung out until they went down to the floor & we took our seats.  No opening act, but a 7:30 show started almost 45 minutes late, so it's just as if they had one.

Solid 2-hr show.  Bruce played a lot of harmonica, which was fine by me.  10 people on stage, including a lady who played strings half the time, and guitar the other half, which meant up to 5 guitars at the same time (Li'l Steven, Nils, Patty, Bruce & the violin lady).  I thought Clarence was under-used, he played way more tambourine than sax.  

Towards the end they turned on the house lights, then played Born To Run & and (ironically) Dancing In The Dark, keeping the lights on so that all us old farts could look around at each other.  Kinda funny.  Dimmed the lights again for the last couple songs.

Almost the whole new album got played & I think 5 tracks off of BTR, but not much else from his 'classic' 70's period.

Have fun tonight Rod & Ali!
    "Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
    • Eight Miles High
      • View Profile
    The Concert Thread
    « Reply #515 on: October 26, 2007, 09:32:35 AM »
    Quote from: "mshray"
    Great Bruce show last night.  Got myself on air about 8:00 talking about it, and Ali heard it and called me.

No opening act, but a 7:30 show started almost 45 minutes late, so it's just as if they had one.

Solid 2-hr show.  Bruce played a lot of harmonica, which was fine by me.  10 people on stage, including a lady who played strings half the time, and guitar the other half, which meant up to 5 guitars at the same time (Li'l Steven, Nils, Patty, Bruce & the violin lady).  I thought Clarence was under-used, he played way more tambourine than sax.  

Towards the end they turned on the house lights, then played Born To Run & and (ironically) Dancing In The Dark, keeping the lights on so that all us old farts could look around at each other.  Kinda funny.  Dimmed the lights again for the last couple songs.

Almost the whole new album got played & I think 5 tracks off of BTR, but not much else from his 'classic' 70's period.

Have fun tonight Rod & Ali!

2 hours is pretty short for a Bruce show :wink:

Heard a guy in thev 6:00 hour call in to say that when Patti sang her one solo number "everybody got up and went to the bathroom" LOL!

mshray

• The Core
    • Transcendent Typist
      • View Profile
    The Concert Thread
    « Reply #516 on: October 26, 2007, 09:48:58 AM »
    Heard a guy in thev 6:00 hour call in to say that when Patti sang her one solo number "everybody got up and went to the bathroom" LOL!

Her number come up in a run of several songs from the new album & people were going to the bathroom pretty continuously (I was on an aisle seat, so it was pretty obvious) before during & after her song (which I rather liked).  Another factor is that now that everyone is older, there was practically zero toking going on, but lots of beer drinking (even at $7.75! for a bottle of Bud).  The whole Arena smelled like beer, which meant lots of bathroom runs.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
    • Eight Miles High
      • View Profile
    The Concert Thread
    « Reply #517 on: October 26, 2007, 09:53:11 AM »

Her number come up in a run of several songs from the new album & people were going to the bathroom pretty continuously (I was on an aisle seat, so it was pretty obvious) before during & after her song (which I rather liked).  Another factor is that now that everyone is older, there was practically zero toking going on, but lots of beer drinking (even at $7.75! for a bottle of Bud).  The whole Arena smelled like beer, which meant lots of bathroom runs.

sounds like Springsteen fans have a "going problem"! Time for FloMax!

Jon Stewart talked last week about seeing Bruce in NY -- "people... a cel phone is NOT a cigarette lighter!"

mshray

• The Core
    • Transcendent Typist
      • View Profile
    The Concert Thread
    « Reply #518 on: October 26, 2007, 10:43:18 AM »
    Jon Stewart talked last week about seeing Bruce in NY -- "people... a cel phone is NOT a cigarette lighter!"

guilty as charged!  :oops:  :oops:

each urinal at the Arena has a mini billboard in front of it.  Twice, when I made the front of the line, the one I got had an ad for one of FloMax's competitors (Avo-something).  Not funny.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
    • Heavy Duty
      • View Profile
    The Concert Thread
    « Reply #519 on: October 26, 2007, 10:45:10 AM »

I saw the episode, pretty funny.  But so few people carry lighters anymore.

Anyway, sounds like it's gonna be good.  Even if my seats will mostly feature the Born In the Usa view of Bruce...  Section 228, row 5.
    and any fool knows
    a dog needs a home
    a shelter
    from pigs on the wing

urth

• The Core
    • Transcendent Typist
      • View Profile
    The Concert Thread
    « Reply #520 on: October 26, 2007, 12:40:52 PM »

No opening act, but a 7:30 show started almost 45 minutes late, so it's just as if they had one.

Solid 2-hr show.  

2 hours is pretty short for a Bruce show :wink:

Problem is, Bruce set everyone's expectations pretty high with his marathon 4-plus-hour shows of the 70s and 80s. I remember seeing him in '99 when he'd gotten back with the E Street Band, and was a little bummed he hadn't broken 3 hours. But he's getting older like all of us.

I was pretty sure it was you I heard as well, Mark, about five after 8. I've had that same revelation, seeing certain bands (like Jeff Beck a couple years ago) and thinking most of these guys in the audience are too old to be rocking out to this guy. Thing is, they're the same guys who were going to see him 20, 30 years ago, but they're showing their age a little more than Jeff seems to be. (Clairol, anyone?)
    Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
    • Transcendent Typist
      • View Profile
    The Concert Thread
    « Reply #521 on: October 27, 2007, 11:40:30 AM »
    Jealous of all the Bruce talk, since I didn't get to see him on this coast.  Someday ...

Meantime, in spite of the (Joel Selvin?) review I read a few months ago, I just plunked down too much cash to see Sly & the Family Stone Dec. 7 at B.B. King's in Times Square.  It's unlikely to be a great or even a good show, but I'm very curious to find out and to see Sly in the flesh.
    “The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
    • Eight Miles High
      • View Profile
    The Concert Thread
    « Reply #522 on: October 29, 2007, 08:55:03 AM »
    So Ali, we want a BSB review!  It's gotten raves from Fogheads and Joel Selvin.

Alicat

• The Core
    • Super Scribe
      • View Profile
    The Concert Thread
    « Reply #523 on: October 29, 2007, 09:15:29 AM »
    So Ali, we want a BSB review!  It's gotten raves from Fogheads and Joel Selvin.

SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm at work and feeling fine after a three-day roll.
    Sunday's BSB was the BEST. Don't know where to start. Neil played new material and dug deep for others. I feel lijke a got a full Neil concert and as well as full Jerry Lee Lewis and Metallica shows. Saturday's classic was Sugar Mountain. Sunday was Cinnamon Girl. He opened the shows and then Saturday played a set before Jerry Lee and on Sunday played a set after Jerry Lee and before Metallica. Saturday Neil did not join in with anyone, Sunday he rocked just about the entire set weith Jerry Lee who played every hit he has. Had all of Shoreline screaming Great Balls of Fire. Beyond fabulous.
    Metallica played a few different songs on Sunday and were GREAT. Covered Rare Earth and Nazareth and Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms both days. Turn the Page Saturday only. More Met hits on Sunday. For an accoustic show, they ROCKED. Saturday played till 12:30 and Sunday about 10:30 I think. Saturday John Mayer had lots of girls screaming their love for him and Sunday the love was for Metallica. They closed the show both days. Neil did not come back out to play, only to say thank you and good night.

Very interesting people all out and about in the audience. Some people dressed for Halloween which was cool.

I don't "get" Tom Waits. Sat in my seat and watched this set on Saturday. Sunday I watched a little from the big screen in the bar. Very weird. Lots of people were cheering however. I guess I need to know more about him.

The opener, Regina Spektor was energetic and entertaining. Nice voice. Seemed nervous Saturday and then comfortable Sunday. Seen Tegan and Sara 3 times now. It's enough.

At some point I was saying next year I should just go to one show. After experiencing Sunday which outshone Saturday for me, I must go to both days or I'd think I missed something.

I'm a happy cat. Now waiting for Van Halen to wrap up the 2007 concert series.
    Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
    • Transcendent Typist
      • View Profile
    The Concert Thread
    « Reply #524 on: October 29, 2007, 09:33:33 AM »
    Quote from: "Alicat"
    Seen Tegan and Sara 3 times now. It's enough.

Great review all around, but especially this line.  LOL!