Author Topic: 1 November 2011: it's...1988  (Read 7169 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 1 November 2011: it's...1988
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 10:32:51 AM »
finally, something worth BOSing (I got here late at end of Smithereens, otherwise Siouxsie might've gotten a vote)

Morrissey: Every Day Is Like Sunday  

« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 11:21:42 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 10:45:30 AM »
Gawd I hate that promo with "Don't ask some guy in Cambodia...". Intolerable. But at least Talking Heads is the first group out of the box after 10at10.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 11:41:13 AM »
Late BOSes to Morrissey and Siouxsie.  Never was a fan of DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince...it's like bubblegum rap to me.  Kudos to AL for bringing some hip hop into the mix, though.  But, if I hear that Proclaimers song ONE MORE TIME, I swear!

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 12:38:02 PM »
Late 80's can be bad on 10@10, even though I think the era produced a lot of good music (which probably has to do with me being at an age (19/20) when people become really attached to their music). Today's set was just godawful, I thought. Uninspired, obvious song choices in very narrow, unchallenging genres. Parents Just Don't Understand as the change of pace? Ugh. Are my pants just too cranky, or did that set stink?
Slipping into something
And out of something else

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 01:11:11 PM »
Late 80's can be bad on 10@10, even though I think the era produced a lot of good music (which probably has to do with me being at an age (19/20) when people become really attached to their music). Today's set was just godawful, I thought. Uninspired, obvious song choices in very narrow, unchallenging genres. Parents Just Don't Understand as the change of pace? Ugh. Are my pants just too cranky, or did that set stink?

yeah, I wasn't too excited about it, I was all whatevs.  I missed the Proclaimers, but I don't dislike that one. Scottish nerds are ok.  Missed Siouxsie, too, and that might've made the set more pleasing.  I agree with you and SG about the Fresh Prince and Jazzy Jeff cut.  I suppose it was a hit, but it's really bad and dated.  maybe it was targeted to tween hip-hop fans?  Parents ( and 10at10 Fans) Just Don't Understand that one.  And I'm not a Tracy Chapman fan in general.

I understand the response to Steve Winwood, although I generally enjoy his stuff -- even his lamer stuff like today's Roll With It.  Might have something to do w seeing him in concert back around 88 and coming away w fond memories.  His voice is pretty unique.  it's got the same buzzy tone and quality that you can hear in the singer from Kings of Leon.  (I don't like KoL, though)

I read that AL didn't solicit suggestions via FB, and it might be tempting to read into that as The Man coming down on her and telling her to play these songs, or maybe she did it all by herself. ~~giggle~~
~CPL593H~

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 01:25:59 PM »
I don't know about this set being an all-time stinker, but yeah, the late 1980's sets can definitely be a drag. For whatever reason, uptempo pop seems to be avoided at almost all costs during this timeframe.

The Proclaimers are definitely in Katrina territory, as is Winwood (although like Tinka, I don't mind him so much). Peek-A-Boo would've been my BOS.

That said, we've had decent 1986 and 1989 sets over the last few weeks, so maybe today was just an outlier. We can hope.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 05:42:21 PM »
11/01/11 - Tuesday! 500 Miles & 23 years back to...1988!

1. The Proclaimers - I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)
 2. Siouxsie & The Banshees - Peek-A-Boo
(Movie: Working Girl)
 3. The Smithereens - Only a Memory
(Movie: Hairspray - "I feel like dancing!")
 4. David Lindley & El Rayo-X - Do Ya' Wanna Dance?
(Movie: Hairspray - Can't stop dancing)
 5. Steve Winwood - Roll With It
(Movie: Hairspray - Debbie Harry as Mom-dance drill master)
 6. DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - Parents Just Don't Understand
(News:Wall St insider trading, Jimmy Swaggert sex scandal, PTL Club, Olympics)
 7. R.E.M. - Pop Song '89
 8. Morrissey - Every Day Is Like Sunday
(Movie: Beetlejuice - "My whole life is a dark room. One. Big. Dark. Room.")
 9. Tracy Chapman - Baby Can I Hold You
(Movie: Heathers)
10. Big Audio Dynamite - Just Play Music (B.O.S!)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 06:21:57 PM »
Gawd I hate that promo with "Don't ask some guy in Cambodia...". Intolerable. But at least Talking Heads is the first group out of the box after 10at10.

Lemme guess: "Wild Wild Life" or "Road to Nowhere"? 

The set itself: If I didn't know better I'd say it was a rerun.  I'd've BOSed Morrissey and Tracy Chapman -- "Baby Can I Hold You" is a lovely tune that shoulda been a big hit -- someone will do a cover version for a soundtrack someday and it will finally get it's due.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, 07:49:14 PM »

Burning Down The House.  I lost interest in the THeads after Speaking In Tongues.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 11:19:34 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2011, 10:30:53 PM »

Burning Down The House.  I lost interest in the THeads after Speaking In Toungues.

I could see that. I liked Little Creatures but none of the albums after SiT quite hit the marks they'd set prior to that. Personally Remain in Light is my favorite of theirs, but all of their first five records are great (six if you count The Name of This Band...).
Let's get right to it.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2011, 10:49:28 PM »
Radical's Ratings  ;D

Good Ratings:

A:
Morrissey
Big Audio Dynamite

B:
Siouxsie & the Banshees
The Smithereens
DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince

C:
David Lindley & El-Rayo X
Steve Winwood
Tracy Chapman
R.E.M.
The Proclaimers

Necessary Ratings:

B
Morrissey
Siouxsie & the Banshees
DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince (This was better the first time she played it, but it honestly wasn't that bad today)
Big Audio Dynamite
David Lindley & El-Rayo X
Tracy Chapman (not too thrilling, but at least this one was NTM)

D
The Smithereens
Steve Winwood

F
The Proclaimers
R.E.M.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, 11:42:02 PM »
David Lindley!  Do You Wanna Dance?

TANC: I thought of this version of the song this afternoon as I was hearing Bette Midler's early '70s take on it on the local oldies station. Hard to believe they are the same song.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 07:37:36 AM »

Burning Down The House.  I lost interest in the THeads after Speaking In Tongues.

Not to worry: they played "Wild Wild Life" this morning at 6:25  ::)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round