Author Topic: Thursday 3-31-2005-it's 1987  (Read 20070 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Thursday 3-31-2005-it's 1987
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2005, 11:06:41 AM »
glad y'all had fun (loved the Kirk/Spock/McCoy-O-Rama!), but it sounds like it was the usual by-the-numbers '87 set to me.  Glad I'm not working THIS Sat -- I may bypass the marathon entirely unless tomorrow is super fab.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: Thursday 3-31
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2005, 01:38:07 PM »
Quote from: "Rod"
Fine.  I'm happy for you.  Me, I'm a friggin' cube slave.

Go low.
No such luck.  Besides being a shitty golfer, we couldn't drive the carts on the fairway from all the rain, and I was hitting the balls way far away from the cart path, losing balls left and right, marshall hurried us along, my knee sucks, so we packed it in after 9 holes.  Beautiful day, ugly golf.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
what song?
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2005, 01:56:02 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
now a bos for gaz!!! jefferson airplane! i mean, uh...

I'm not sure Dave has ever played this outside the Hits From Hell context.  Thing is, it's only a HFH because of the Airplane's long history.  Otherwise this would be a fine if ephemeral soundtrack entry.

Minor trivia: only Mickey and Grace appaear on this track, along with studio musicians -- Narada Michael Walden didn't want to wait for the rest of the band's availability, so he used studio hacks.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
list
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2005, 01:58:03 PM »
3/31/05 - Thursday!  Great stuff from...1987!!!

Cure - Why Can't I Be You?

Crowded House - Don't Dream It's Over

Robbie Robertson - Showdown at Big Sky

Bruce Hornsby & the Range - Every Little Kiss

Smiths - Ask

Greg Allman - I'm No Angel

World Party - All Come True (BEST OF SET!!)

Pet Shop Boys - It's a Sin

Love & Rockets - No New Tale to Tell

Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: Thursday 3-31
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2005, 02:12:44 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "Rod"
Fine.  I'm happy for you.  Me, I'm a friggin' cube slave.

Go low.
No such luck.  Besides being a shitty golfer, we couldn't drive the carts on the fairway from all the rain, and I was hitting the balls way far away from the cart path, losing balls left and right, marshall hurried us along, my knee sucks, so we packed it in after 9 holes.  Beautiful day, ugly golf.

Still, you were on a golf course.  I'm jealous anyway.

Got to learn to play cart path golf.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2005, 03:15:57 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
is that an ian anderson sample in "no new tale to tell?" or the real mccoy?

Allmusic Song Review by Dave Thompson:

Whereas Love and Rockets' past albums had reveled in thick production and psychedelic density, Earth-Sun-Moon, its third, reversed the process completely, plumping for bright acoustic guitars, sharp melodies, and a minimum of overdubs and trickery. "No New Tale To Tell" nevertheless reveled in retro-pastiche — the flute solo amidships (played on the accompanying video by a monkey!) is lifted straight out of the prog rock handbook, conjuring visions of Jethro Tull, Comus, and so many more. That said, the song itself is as bright and breezy as you could wish, swinging on the catchiest of choruses, and American radio responded to its release by slamming it into the Top Five "Most Added."

In fact the DJ's on 91X had a clip of the band saying that it started out as a parody of Jethro Tull (whom they actually liked), and it sorta took on a life of its own in the studio.  Flutist credited as Mel Thorpe on my disc, no idea who he is.

That being cleared up, I have awakened from my post surgical nap, still have gauze wedged into my jaw so I can't really talk, the effects of the general anaesthesia seem to be all gone & feeling is returning to my lips, cheeks and gums as the local is gradually wearing off.  But what Bill Cosby always said is definitely true: Novacaine doens't kill pain.  It just postpones it.  Just took my second dose of vitamin V to compensate.

thanks for the many kind thoughts & a big CONGRATS to Gaz for his VV news!!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2005, 03:50:57 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
[That being cleared up, I have awakened from my post surgical nap, still have gauze wedged into my jaw so I can't really talk, the effects of the general anaesthesia seem to be all gone & feeling is returning to my lips, cheeks and gums as the local is gradually wearing off.  But what Bill Cosby always said is definitely true: Novacaine doens't kill pain.  It just postpones it.  Just took my second dose of vitamin V to compensate.

thanks for the many kind thoughts & a big CONGRATS to Gaz for his VV news!!

Just curious: when you say "vitamin V," do you mean vicodin or vodka? In the days when Herb Caen was the first thing I read in the Chron every morning, it was the latter. Either way, hope you're feeling better. And may I make one suggestion: popsicles. Taste good, nice and cold, and no chewing necessary.

Oh, and may I echo everyone's good wishes to Gaz for the vote of confidence from the folks at Da Voice. They're finally waking up to what they got there.
Let's get right to it.