Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 408888 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Fly Jefferson Airways ...
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2005, 10:13:45 PM »

“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2005, 10:35:25 PM »
Tom Constantin (sp?), the original keyboardist for the Dead (i.e., the one who ducked the curse), opened with a lovely set that included an instrumental of "People Get Ready" and harpsichord renditions of "Mountains of the Moon" and "Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum."  Other stuff too, though I wasn't familiar.  Some Yankee Doodle-ish thing called "Brighton Camp" and something with a refrain of "where the chilly winds don't blow" and something with a refrain of "walk me to the morning."

The Jefferson Starship was Paul Kantner, Marty Balin, David Freiberg, Diana Magnano and Darby Gould both doing the Grace/backup parts, Prairie Prince on drums, Slick Aguilar on guitar, someone I didn't know on keyboard and synth-bass (there was no real bass, oddly).  Their set will take me very long to summarize, so I'll just offer up the incredibly long set list (they played for almost four hours!):

She Has Funny Cars
Get Together
St. Charles (!)
Wooden Ships
Triad
Won't You Try / Saturday Afternoon
-----Marty takes over for a while-----
Today
Count On Me
Hearts
Viva la Vida (I didn't know this one)
-----Marty leaves for a while; Paul, David, Diana and Darby return-----
War Movie (!!)
JaneyJaneyJane! (with Freiberg on lead vox!!!)
Fast Buck Freddie (with Diana as Grace)
We Can Be Together
Lawman (with Darby and Diana trading off as Grace)
Better Lying Down (with Darby as Grace)
Hyperdrive (I think Diana was Grace on this one)
When the Earth Moves Again (!!!)
Pride of Man
-----Marty finally returns-----
Caroline
Plastic Fantastic Lover
Shadowlands (arranged for four voices, "like ABBA," Paul joked)
White Rabbit (Darby)
Miracles
-----Paul brazenly lights another cigarette, and Marty incomprehensibly jokes, "in honor of Peter Jennings"-----
Somebody to Love (Diana)
The Ballad of You & Me & Pooneil (with extended solos and a lot of fuckups on the lyrics)
Volunteers
-----encore-----
Who Do You Love (Freiberg on vox)
It's No Secret

Marty was obviously the focal point this time around; Paul only took one lead vocal and seemed generally grumpy as he smoked his cigarettes and took generous swigs from a bottle of Stoli throughout the set.  It was astonishing.  More details another time.  I'm about to crszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz .........
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
holy crap!
« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2005, 10:54:50 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Tom Constantin (sp?), the original keyboardist for the Dead (i.e., the one who ducked the curse), opened with a lovely set that included an instrumental of "People Get Ready" and harpsichord renditions of "Mountains of the Moon" and "Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum."  Other stuff too, though I wasn't familiar.  Some Yankee Doodle-ish thing called "Brighton Camp" and something with a refrain of "where the chilly winds don't blow" and something with a refrain of "walk me to the morning."
as far as "where the chilly winds don't blow" is concerned, do you remember any other words, such as "I know you rider gonna miss me when I'm gone"? It's Constanten.  I would imagine you'd recognize "Morning Dew" so that's all I can think of ("Walk me out in the morning dew, my honey") I would just love to have been there for these:
Quote from: "Gazoo"
She Has Funny Cars
Get Together
St. Charles (!)
Wooden Ships
Triad
Won't You Try / Saturday Afternoon
-----Marty takes over for a while-----
Today
Count On Me

We Can Be Together
Lawman (with Darby and Diana trading off as Grace)
Better Lying Down (with Darby as Grace)
Hyperdrive (I think Diana was Grace on this one)
Pride of Man
-----Marty finally returns-----
Caroline
Plastic Fantastic Lover
Shadowlands (arranged for four voices, "like ABBA," Paul joked)
White Rabbit (Darby)
Miracles
-----Paul brazenly lights another cigarette, and Marty incomprehensibly jokes, "in honor of Peter Jennings"-----
Somebody to Love (Diana)
The Ballad of You & Me & Pooneil (with extended solos and a lot of fuckups on the lyrics)
Volunteers
-----encore-----
Who Do You Love (Freiberg on vox)
It's No Secret

Jeez, if they needed a bass player, they should have called me!  Boy, looking at Marty and David makes me feel so damn old!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2005, 07:11:44 AM »
At first I saw the 2nd pic and said "who's that old lady?"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: holy crap!
« Reply #109 on: August 12, 2005, 07:35:18 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Jeez, if they needed a bass player, they should have called me!

Why wasn't David Frieberg playing bass?

Gaz at da Voice

Re: holy crap!
« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2005, 08:42:58 AM »
Jeez, if they needed a bass player, they should have called me!

Why wasn't David Frieberg playing bass?

Good question, and I was wondering the same thing.  I suppose either (a) he never learned the material that preceded his joining the band in '72, or (b) owing to age or whatever other factors, he no longer has the dexterity or energy.  (Although his voice was in fine form, he was horribly out of shape, and mostly just flailed his percussion-laden arms.

More deets to follow later if it's a slow day here at da Voice.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2005, 10:46:50 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

why, it's randy newman!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2005, 10:52:22 AM »
so after the rich price (snooze) and tea leaf green (yay!) concert yesterdya, i headed to the great american. what happened next can only be described as awesome. first, my buddy maia sharp played an amazing set with an upright bassist. no drums, just sweet-sounding songs.

then.

then!

he showed up. i had never heard of him, but the man outside selling street sheets told me he saw him on leno. raul is amazing! amazing! i can't remember the last time i cried at a concert (ok, i can. it was when i saw charlie hunter in new orleans in april). go! listen! but see him in concert! it's amazing! i haven't yet thought of a suitable adjective, so amazing and awesome will have to do for now. his fingers move so quickly while he is playing. and that voice! all jarreau and hathaway and stevie.

i have seen the face of god. and it's not a face, at all. it's a pair of hands and a voice.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #113 on: August 12, 2005, 10:53:35 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

why, it's randy newman!

My god, she's right!

Gaz, hope it was everything you'd hoped it would be. From the tone of your note, I have a feeling it was. And cool that you got pix of (and with) Marty and Freiberg. Any interaction with Kantner?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #114 on: August 12, 2005, 10:54:41 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

why, it's randy newman!

YES! that was my second thought.

"Old people got ... no reason..."

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #115 on: August 12, 2005, 11:41:25 AM »
ok, just click and listen. and then try to imagine his hand playing all of that, as quickly as you can imagine it. wicked:

http://www.raulmidon.com/Raul_Midon_Sunshine_LowQuality.mp3

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
DMB at SBC
« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2005, 07:05:14 AM »
got a call from my sister that she and her housemate were not feeling well, and would I like their two tickets to the show, and that my brother from Fresno would be there, so we went.

Got there during Black-eyed Peas, who were pretty loud, they did their big hit at the end.  DMB was good I guess, but I don't know their songs that well.  The audience was rapt however, and sang along with much of it.  Lots of women there, he's really got some sort of attraction for them.  For me, the drummer was awesome, everyone else is a distant second.  Does anyone else like DMB?

Quote from: "setlist"
Friday  Aug 12 2005
SBC Park

Don’t Drink the Water
Dream Girl
Say Goodbye
Hunger For The Great Light
Time Of The Season
Rhyme & Reason *
Bartender
One Sweet World
Where Are You Going
American Baby Intro *+
Jimi Thing *+
You Might Die Trying *+
Smooth Rider *+
Louisiana Bayou *+
Too Much *+

Everyday
Ants Marching

Show Notes:
* Rashawn Ross
+ Eric Krasno
both from SoulLive

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: DMB at SBC
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2005, 11:35:41 AM »
For me, the drummer was awesome, everyone else is a distant second.  

carter beauford, one of the world's greatest drummers. the only reason i'd ever pay to see dmb. i first heard of dave matthews on the very first kfog new song sampler. it included dave's "recently." that was such an interesting song. lots of new sounds mixed together. sort of like david byrne meets tower of power. then the under the table and dreaming album was released. quite good. since then i haven't been compelled to buy any dmb albums. there are some good songs now and then ("sleep to dream her," "mother father," "too much"), but i can't imagine being hyped about a complete album.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Wake the Dead, Rancho Nicasio, 8/19 Beej alert!
« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2005, 12:36:26 AM »
I'm too tired to post much, but it was an awsome show in a beautiful spot.  Maybe more later, but the main reason I'm staying awake to post is that tonight I saw the most awesome, and probably the only tambourine solo I have ever seen!  The guy had the thing speaking like a conga, talking drum, and he manipulated the little metal things around the edge like nothing I have ever heard before.  Yeah, you probably don't believe me!  Never again should the tambourine be used as a symbol of low musical talent!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Wake the Dead, Rancho Nicasio, 8/19 Beej alert!
« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2005, 12:10:58 PM »
I'm too tired to post much, but it was an awsome show in a beautiful spot.  Maybe more later, but the main reason I'm staying awake to post is that tonight I saw the most awesome, and probably the only tambourine solo I have ever seen!  The guy had the thing speaking like a conga, talking drum, and he manipulated the little metal things around the edge like nothing I have ever heard before.  Yeah, you probably don't believe me!  Never again should the tambourine be used as a symbol of low musical talent!

There's hope for Beej!