Author Topic: KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 6/27/11  (Read 3222 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 6/27/11
« on: June 27, 2011, 10:40:13 AM »
TANC and OMGWTF:  Listening to the Boardwalk and they're playing a Michael Bolton cover of TTD's "Sign Your Name" -- aaaack!!  Sundaygal complained about the original being snoozy but this is beyond the pale.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 6/27/11
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 01:33:07 PM »
So I'm listening to Marshall Crenshaw's WFUV show  -- his first one, from 6/18/11, which was just archived and made available, download-wise.  And it some wild-ass stuff. Like Little Steven's show on acid, or something.  It's an hour each week.

http://wfuv.streamguys.us/cgi-bin/colinker.cgi?colink=130825094932285

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 07:49:21 AM »
JJ gives Foster Sylvers a ticket for illegal parking. But it's just a MISS-de-mee-nurr.  Meanwhile JB's across da tracks, wit da long-haired hippies and da afro-blacks.

And James returns in the '60s hour to "Think". But oh, Etta James! "Fool That I Am" -- *swoon*.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 08:13:01 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 09:03:12 AM »
Atlantic2NG's UK retro-chart is from June 25th 1974!

#40: wacky Sedaky in the rain -- 6 months before it hit in the US. And Karen & Richard won't last a day without Paul Williams.

NTM: "Central Park Arrest" by Thunderthighs, a First Choice-sounding group, who it turns out were the female backing vocalists on Mott the Hoople's "Roll Away the Stone" (!)

Wow: Ronnie Lane, "The Poacher", also NTM.  Tons of tunes on this chart I've never heard; I may have to stick with it, esp given that AL's a rerun today.

Another Mott connection: Lynsey dePaul with one of those retro-Spector-sounding things that the Brits were swooning over in the early '70s: "Ooh I Do".

one of my all-time 10cc faves: "Wall St Shuffle"

No more Auggie Dogness! EJ's son goes down.

wow, Cockney Rebel's "Judy Teen" and Alan Price's brilliant "Jarrow Song".

I never knew the Drifters' mid-'70s UK comeback hits (like "Back Row of the Movies") were on Bell records -- their homage-to-the-Brill Building sound is very much like the early Dawn hits, also on Bell. Gotta be the same writers/producers, no? (ETA: no -- written by Roger Greenaway!)

Haven't heard Leo Sayer's "One Man Band" in ages. And R Dean Taylor's "Ghost in My House" will always be the "why didn't the 4 Tops record this one?" song.

boogity-boogity! "the Streak" was a UK hit too. Don't look, Lord & Lady Ethel!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 10:47:17 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 10:04:03 AM »
Listening to to Dan Ingram airchecks on Rewound Radio -- amazing stuff.  They're running one from late '72 or thereabouts: "I Am Woman" is the #1 record, and these are uncut recordings -- commericals included --  so we just got a Stiller & Meara spot for Blue Nun wine. Awesome.

ETA: classic Ingram, as he intros Billy Joel's first hit: "they called him 'piano man'... he was grossly obese... but he had a dazzling smile"

more great stuff: a summer-of-'72 aircheck. Gaz would've appreciated hearing Ingram make fun of Ray Sawyer singing "Sylvia's Mother" -- "stop sniveling, you wimp!"
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 08:02:31 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 02:38:42 PM »
Listening to to Dan Ingram airchecks on Rewound Radio -- amazing stuff.  They're running one from late '72 or thereabouts: "I Am Woman" is the #1 record, and these are uncut recordings -- commericals included --  so we just got a Stiller & Meara spot for Blue Nun wine. Awesome.

ETA: classic Ingram, as he intros Billy Joel's first hit: "they called him 'piano man'... he was grossly obese... but he had a dazzling smile"

more great stuff: a summer-of-'72 aircheck. Gaz would've appreciated hearing Ingram make fun of Ray Sawyer singing "Sylvia's Mother" -- "stop sniveling, you wimp!"

Worth noting in response to Gaz's FB question, that I didn't hear the Firefall "You are the Woman" line. Nor the "Carole King sings to her bra" either.

But here's one I didn't remember that was posted on the NYRMB... Dan played a commercial back in the day for Wetson's Hamburgers (a chain that was a main rival of McDonald's in the early '60s).

"The spot was all about how a young mother could save money by eating at Wetson's. How thrifty it was. At the end of the spot, the woman comes on and says, 'my husband hands me a dollar and says blow it.' Ingram comes on and says, 'here's another dollar, honey, blow it again.' " :o  :o  :o

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 08:50:08 AM »
Atlantic 2NG's retro-chart today is from July 1983 -- around the time of my first visit to London, so there should be many a flashback in this first hour.

Roman Holliday's "Don't Try to Stop It" is NTM and a catchy little ditty. Toto's "I Won't Hold You back" is a dreadful ballad.

The MaryJane Girls got a surprise on da roof! Lawd! "hurry up and come" indeed.

Highest debut of the week: Iron f--in' Maiden! DUUUUDE!

OMFG: Tom Robinson's extraordinary "War Baby" -- I bought this 45 in London that summer, it was all over the radio over there. Didn't do a damn thing over here but wow, what a great song.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 09:56:02 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 10:39:56 PM »
TANC: 10 minutes after seeing Steve Zahn do a HIGH-larious white-boy version of "Sex Machine" on the season finale of Treme, I turn on KPOO and JJ's playing the JB orig.