Author Topic: KBCO, 12/8/06: 1982  (Read 2362 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KBCO, 12/8/06: 1982
« on: December 08, 2006, 09:03:14 AM »
BOS The Monroes, "What Do All the People Know?" one of the truly great New Wave singles.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 09:17:42 AM »
BOS #2 Rickie Lee.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 09:27:18 AM »
yes, we're gonna have a wing-ding!  BOS2 Fagen, with a touch of Tuesday Weld.

Was she on your name-check list?  I still can't get over that Roger Daltrey/Dom DeLuise thing; I'd never noticed that before this week.

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 09:34:45 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
yes, we're gonna have a wing-ding!  BOS2 Fagen, with a touch of Tuesday Weld.

Was she on your name-check list?  I still can't get over that Roger Daltrey/Dom DeLuise thing; I'd never noticed that before this week.

Nope, though I can't say why not.  Just overlooked it.

BOS #4 Black Uhuru "Chill Out"

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 09:37:40 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

I've been in a real reggae mood the last 24 hrs, ever since my most recent visit to Tower (where they're down to 60% off all CD's).  I picked up a Toots & The Maytals import best of compilation, Steel Pulse ultimate collection & a disc called the UB40 Jukebox, which contains the originals of all the songs they covered in Labor of Love I & II.

We be jamming!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 09:39:09 AM »
a disc called the UB40 Jukebox, which contains the originals of all the songs they covered in Labor of Love I & II.

Wow -- THAT sounds uber-cool.

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 09:43:34 AM »
Between the Fagen, the Rickie Lee, the JJ and now this Dave Edmunds, today has been a real piano driven set.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 09:45:29 AM »
Between the Fagen, the Rickie Lee, the JJ and now this, today has been a real piano driven set.

BOS3 JJ; BOS4 Edmunds, just because it's an Xmas tune.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 09:47:23 AM »
a disc called the UB40 Jukebox, which contains the originals of all the songs they covered in Labor of Love I & II.

Wow -- THAT sounds uber-cool.

I just found it on Amazon for $2.99.  I also bought a CD comprising Tim Moore's first 2 LPs (including both "2nd Ave" and "Rock'n'Roll Love Letter").

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 09:47:48 AM »

I've been in a real reggae mood the last 24 hrs, ever since my most recent visit to Tower (where they're down to 60% off all CD's).  I picked up a Toots & The Maytals import best of compilation, Steel Pulse ultimate collection & a disc called the UB40 Jukebox, which contains the originals of all the songs they covered in Labor of Love I & II.

We be jamming!

I went into the Stonestown store and managed to drop about $60 in half an hour of browsing--probably could have done more damage but I've got more CDs at home that I haven't listened to than Carter's has pills. Noticed that in recent releases they had lots; among catalog stuff not so much. Picked up the Springsteen Seeger Sessions disc (with the bonus dual-disc DVD) for about $8--regularly $22; the Costello/Toussaint River In Reverse CD, a Marian McPartland Piano Jazz disc with Costello, an Al Green's I'm Still In Love With You (they didn't have Gets Next to You), the last Minus 5 album, and a couple of other things I'm spacing right now. Not a bad haul--may go back, but it was kind of depressing. I've always had a soft spot for Tower as I grew up with them as my local record store up in Sacto (probably mentioned this far too many times) so I've spent a major portion of my lifetime record-shopping dollars in their establishments. Now the place just looks like a big cut-out bin.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 09:52:10 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

We be jamming!

I went into the Stonestown store and managed to drop about $60 in half an hour of browsing--probably could have done more damage but I've got more CDs at home that I haven't listened to than Carter's has pills. Noticed that in recent releases they had lots; among catalog stuff not so much. Picked up the Springsteen Seeger Sessions disc (with the bonus dual-disc DVD) for about $8--regularly $22; the Costello/Toussaint River In Reverse CD, a Marian McPartland Piano Jazz disc with Costello, an Al Green's I'm Still In Love With You (they didn't have Gets Next to You), the last Minus 5 album, and a couple of other things I'm spacing right now. Not a bad haul--may go back, but it was kind of depressing. I've always had a soft spot for Tower as I grew up with them as my local record store up in Sacto (probably mentioned this far too many times) so I've spent a major portion of my lifetime record-shopping dollars in their establishments. Now the place just looks like a big cut-out bin.

Urth I was thinking of you yesterday, I came across an NRBQ concert DVD which said it featured the classic lineup (but I don't know much about them except that you like them a lot, so I have no idea who their classic lineup should include).  Would you have wanted it?  I'm sure it will still be there today.

P.S.  I have made three visits, picked up close to 150 discs, a dozen or so DVD's and another dozen books, & dropped nearly $1200!  That's what getting a big raise does to your spending habits (just don't tell my wife!)

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 10:00:17 AM »
I have made three visits, picked up close to 150 discs, a dozen or so DVD's and another dozen books, & dropped nearly $1200!  That's what getting a big raise does to your spending habits (just don't tell my wife!)

Hey mark, Do you have the entire Rhino "New Wave Hits" series? I just discovered that vol 6 contains the A's "Woman's Got the Power" which I've been looking for for years. (they were a Philly band, very R&B-influenced, it's a GREAT song that was later covered by both Clarence Clemons and Jennifer Holiday.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 12:34:14 PM »

Urth I was thinking of you yesterday, I came across an NRBQ concert DVD which said it featured the classic lineup (but I don't know much about them except that you like them a lot, so I have no idea who their classic lineup should include).  Would you have wanted it?  I'm sure it will still be there today.

P.S.  I have made three visits, picked up close to 150 discs, a dozen or so DVD's and another dozen books, & dropped nearly $1200!  That's what getting a big raise does to your spending habits (just don't tell my wife!)

Yikes!!! Better hope she doesn't find any receipts or get a look at your credit card bill. But after the year you've had, I'd say you earned it. Go nuts.

Re the NRBQ DVDs: If it's the One in a Million DVD I have it. It's not bad--allegedly recorded back east, but in reality I think it's from Shoreline, when they opened a tour for REM. But if it's called Derbytown, then yeah, I'd definitely be interested.  

FYI, their "classic" lineup would be Terry Adams (keys), Joey Spampinato (bass), Tom Ardolino (drums), and the incredible Big Al Anderson (guitar). Al left the band in late '93, so since then they've had Joey's brother Johnny on guitar--he's good but he's no Big Al.  (There were some other members in the band early in their existence, but once Al joined in '72 or so, they were pretty much steady until he left 20+ years later.)
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2006, 08:49:09 AM »
Hey mark, Do you have the entire Rhino "New Wave Hits" series? I just discovered that vol 6 contains the A's "Woman's Got the Power" which I've been looking for for years. (they were a Philly band, very R&B-influenced, it's a GREAT song that was later covered by both Clarence Clemons and Jennifer Holiday.

Of course I have all 15!  I even have the coda disc Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Women.

--Carlos Santana, 2010