Author Topic: Marvin Gaye and Hennesy Cognac  (Read 8369 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Marvin Gaye and Hennesy Cognac
« on: July 22, 2005, 12:11:43 PM »
I was giving my daughter a ride downtown this morning, and when crossing Market at 6th, I see a huge add on the side of a building on 6th with a classic pose of Marvin with the raincoat collar, next to a cognac ad.  I did a little Googling:

Marvin Gaye Joins The Impressive Ranks Of Famed Icons Featured In Hennessy Advertising Campaign (7/19/2005 4:09:50 PM)
kirshenbaum bond + partners

NEW YORK — (7/19/05) — kirshenbaum bond new york today announced the launch of the latest creative in the long-standing Hennessy campaign. This new creative features R&B icon Marvin Gaye and includes out-of-home and print. The campaign positions Hennessy as the cognac brand for urban independent thinkers. The ads liken Gaye to Hennessy, demonstrating that both always rise above the competition and neither blends in with the crowd.

Drawing upon Gaye’s wide appeal, the ads accentuate the mindset of the forward-thinking Hennessy drinker. The campaign is themed around the fact that Hennessy is a bold and independent spirit that has become part of American culture over the years. Therefore, it is fitting that they highlight those individuals who consistently take bold risks, such as Gaye.

The out-of-home advertisements will launch nationwide in July and the print ads are launching in August books such as Complex, Ebony, GQ, VIBE, Fader, KING, The Source and Urb.

The Hennessy campaign first launched in 2003 featuring Isaac Hayes, famed Motown singer of the 1970’s, and went on to feature other iconic American figures such as Miles Davis, Rakim, Tego Calderon and Pam Grier.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Marvin Gaye and Hennesy Cognac
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 12:33:19 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
The Hennessy campaign first launched in 2003 featuring Isaac Hayes, famed Motown singer of the 1970’s, and went on to feature other iconic American figures such as Miles Davis, Rakim, Tego Calderon and Pam Grier.

Rakim is an "iconic American figure"? Hrm.

so... do black people drink more cognac than white folks? I know Courvoisier gets name-dropped by a lot of rappers.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 03:00:11 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "ggould"

Rakim is an "iconic American figure"? Hrm.

so... do black people drink more cognac than white folks? I know Courvoisier gets name-dropped by a lot of rappers.

It's just the demographic the ad agency wants to market to.

Why do malt liquor ads get put on big billboards in poorer neighborhoods?
Sharks bleed teal.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 03:14:38 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"

exactly. and there's nothing in between. no scotch, no martinis. either you drink 40s or bad cognac. when's the last time you heard a rapper spout the wonders of basil hayden?

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 03:22:43 PM »
I'm in a drinking mood now. Is it 5:30 yet!?

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 03:23:19 PM »
That was me. :D
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 03:28:48 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
Quote from: "Alicat"

exactly. and there's nothing in between. no scotch, no martinis. either you drink 40s or bad cognac. when's the last time you heard a rapper spout the wonders of basil hayden?

Have you seen the Tanqueray campaign witn the black british guy? It's like, We wanna be "urban"... but not too urban.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 03:59:00 PM »

Have you seen the Tanqueray campaign witn the black british guy? It's like, We wanna be "urban"... but not too urban.

ha! i didn't know he was british.

yes, a drinking mood is a good thing. i'm *enjoying* a corona at present. but off to saratoga for a gig soon.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 09:25:02 PM »
> it is fitting that they highlight those individuals who consistently take bold risks, such as Gaye.

If I were a graffiti artist, I'd paint a big coke-booger coming out of Marvin's nose.  Not to be all thought-police-like, but I find it (in the words of Harold's mother) highly distasteful when the images of celebrities who battled addictions are used to sell addictive substances.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”