Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 231358 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #225 on: February 25, 2007, 12:21:22 PM »
Just stumbled across the Independent Spirit Awards. Instead of clips from the 5 "Best Film" nominees, they've been doing song parodies about each movie.  In honor of Half Nelson: "Son of a Preacher Man" rewritten as ... "Crack-Headed Teacher Man".  LOL!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #226 on: February 25, 2007, 08:29:11 PM »
Dueling Divas on the Oscars! Beyonce and Jennifer Hudson are duetting on "Listen", and here's the third Dreamgirl Anika Noni Rose, to do "Patience", my fave of the 3 nommed songs from that film.

Earlier we had Celine Dion singing as part of the Ennio Morricone tribute, and of course Randy Newman w/JT and Melissa Etheridge.

OMG! Queen Latifah looks Fab. Yoo. Luss, honey.

Triple OMG! Melissa E takes the Oscar for her Inconvenient Truth song!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #227 on: February 26, 2007, 03:28:52 PM »
The Boss at next year's Super Bowl Halftime?

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117960074.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

Funny, with all the fuss over the Police reunion, I was already betting it'd be them at the SB next year -- just in time for the release of a live CD from their tour.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #228 on: March 11, 2007, 08:44:23 PM »
Any one else catch this latest PBS Pledge Month music extravaganza? "The British Beat" -- lots of '60s Brit acts (Searchers, Zombies, Peter & Gordon, Tremeloes, Paul Jones of Manfred Mann) reunited to milk some money from aging boomers who watch KQED.  Hosted by Petula Clark, who's supposed to sing "Downtown" at some point.

ETA: they just did a cute bit where they juxtaposed Eric Burdon today with clips of the Animals on Ed Sullivan doing "We Gotta Get Outta This Place".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #229 on: March 11, 2007, 08:57:56 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Any one else catch this latest PBS Pledge Month music extravaganza? "The British Beat" -- lots of '60s Brit acts (Searchers, Zombies, Peter & Gordon, Tremeloes, Paul Jones of Manfred Mann) reunited to milk some money from aging boomers who watch KQED.  Hosted by Petula Clark, who's supposed to sing "Downtown" at some point.

ETA: they just did a cute bit where they juxtaposed Eric Burdon today with clips of the Animals on Ed Sullivan doing "We Gotta Get Outta This Place".

Petula Clark just mispronounced "Colin Blunstone" as "Colin Bloodstone". Maybe she's on a Natural High.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #230 on: March 11, 2007, 09:06:22 PM »
The Zombies just gave the most impressive perf of the night. "Time Of the Season" and "She's Not There".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #231 on: March 11, 2007, 09:34:42 PM »
OMG, Lulu singing "To Sir With Love". She's had some serious work done, methinks.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #232 on: March 11, 2007, 10:13:12 PM »
OMG, Lulu singing "To Sir With Love". She's had some serious work done, methinks.

I watched a bit of this yesterday (on the other pbs channel).  Made me sad -- growing old sucks.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #233 on: March 24, 2007, 09:13:55 PM »
Another Saturday, another round of PBS rock'n'roll fundraising. Tonite KCSM trotted out the famous "Rolling Stones R'n'R Circus" with the Stones, John Lennon, the Who, Marianne Faithfull et al.  Great stuff, they're repeating it at 10:30.  Meanwhile "Soundstage" on KTEH has Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris as I type this.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #234 on: March 24, 2007, 11:03:20 PM »
Another Saturday, another round of PBS rock'n'roll fundraising. Tonite KCSM trotted out the famous "Rolling Stones R'n'R Circus" with the Stones, John Lennon, the Who, Marianne Faithfull et al.  Great stuff, they're repeating it at 10:30.

And here I am watching it. Marianne Faithfull: OMG was she beautiful back then.  And now here's Lennon doing "Yer Blues" with The Dirty Mac (Clapton, Keith Richards etc). Amazing stuff.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #235 on: April 15, 2007, 05:43:11 PM »
Oscar-winning Diva DeLuxe Jennifer Hudson just sang an over-the-top Nat'l Anthem at the Jackie Robinson Day ceremonies on Sun Nite Baseball.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #236 on: May 05, 2007, 08:09:31 PM »
One of KQED's digital channels is showing Atlantic Records: the House that Ahmet Built, a 2-hr docu about Ahmet Ehrtegun. Narrated by Bette Midler.  Ehrtegun is being interviewed by director Taylor Hackford (aka Mr Helen Mirren).

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #237 on: May 05, 2007, 10:15:52 PM »
One of KQED's digital channels is showing Atlantic Records: the House that Ahmet Built, a 2-hr docu about Ahmet Ehrtegun. Narrated by Bette Midler.  Ehrtegun is being interviewed by director Taylor Hackford (aka Mr Helen Mirren).

Wish I had seen this earlier. Missed it. He was an incredible man.

Busy day listening and watching Sharks, Giants, NJ/Ottawa hockey and then basketball. Checking out Dr. Detroit now.
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Ahmet
« Reply #238 on: May 06, 2007, 07:05:03 PM »
I saw most, but not all of it.  I had no idea Ahmet wrote so many songs!  It made me almost buy the 60th anniversary Atlantic Records CD at Starbucks.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Ahmet
« Reply #239 on: May 06, 2007, 07:22:31 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
I saw most, but not all of it.  I had no idea Ahmet wrote so many songs!  It made me almost buy the 60th anniversary Atlantic Records CD at Starbucks.

Indeed -- I never realized "Don't Play That Song" was one of his, and there was a great juxtaposition of clips: Johnny Hallyday singing it in French, followed by Aretha in 1970 at a piano, looking fab, doing her version.   And the show ended with a bunch of folks (Robert Plant, Steve Winwood among them) also singing it.  It will undoubtedly be re-run a million times, PBS being PBS.