Author Topic: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 2/11/08  (Read 12423 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 2/11/08
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2008, 07:45:18 AM »
"Remember me as a red balloon."  Well, sure:

“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2008, 07:47:21 AM »
What the HELL?!?  "Sweet Mary" was a DEBUT at #15?!?  How on earth did a first chart hit pull that off?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2008, 09:03:32 AM »
And 1971 ended just in time for "1969" from 1969.  We're off!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2008, 09:51:23 AM »
in what so far has been a soul/funk-heavy set.

Heh, within 15 minutes of posting this, I heard Mancini, Perry Como, and Judy Collins' "Amazing Grace."

And now the fabulous "Stoney End," Barbra doing Nyro better than Nyro did Nyro (then again, I think just about anyone did Nyro better than Nyro).

I believe Stoney End is just down the road from Apollo-By-the-Bay.

Woke up in time for Jerry Reed. Truly fabulous, only-in-the-early-'70s kinda chart.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2008, 09:56:55 AM »
What the HELL?!?  "Sweet Mary" was a DEBUT at #15?!?  How on earth did a first chart hit pull that off?

it had been #44 the week before, and this was actually its 8th week in the Hot 100.  I'll have to try and catch the first hour tomorrow after "lost 45s" -- Little Sister, Jackie Moore, Wilson P, Rufus T,JB, JT -- Hoo Lawd!

BTW there were no less than THREE "Love Story" versions on the chart that week: the Mancini, Frances Lai's version (from the sndtk LP) and Andy Williams' vocal version.  I'll mention Love Story again in mshray's Worst-Oscar-Nominations thread...

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2008, 10:28:05 PM »
At 36 and also new to my ears: Johnnie Taylor's "Jody's Got Your Girl and Gone"

TANC: JJ just played this on KPOO.  And followed it with the Impressions' fab post-Curtis "Check Out Your Mind" and the O'Jays' pre-"Backstabbers" (indeed, pre- Philly Int'l) hit, "Looky Looky".

ETA: and then it was Denise LaSalle, "Now Run and Tell That".
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 10:36:06 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2008, 10:49:26 PM »
WTF? A 1975 cover of "Take Me To The River" by an Al Green sound-alike named Syl Johnson.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2008, 09:30:26 AM »
WTF? A 1975 cover of "Take Me To The River" by an Al Green sound-alike named Syl Johnson.

Presumably not dedicated to lil' Junior Parker.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2008, 05:50:16 PM »
Tonight on Barry Scott, John Travolta, "Let Her In," which I believe is about the same subject as Andy Kim's "Rock Me Gently."

ETA: This is surely one of the most "pitchy" records ever to hit the Top 40, along with Rex Smith's "You Take My Breath Away" and the Intruders' "I'll Always Love My Mama."

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2008, 06:12:03 PM »
Tonight on Barry Scott, John Travolta, "Let Her In," which I believe is about the same subject as Andy Kim's "Rock Me Gently."

ETA: This is surely one of the most "pitchy" records ever to hit the Top 40, along with Rex Smith's "You Take My Breath Away" and the Intruders' "I'll Always Love My Mama."

And no more than 20 minutes later, what should play ... but "Rock Me Gently"!!!  TANC!!!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2008, 06:13:58 PM »
Hey Mike: We just heard Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods' "Who Do You Think You Are," and Barry's already replied to my e-mail of 10 minutes ago: He has indeed heard the Candlewick Green version.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2008, 08:45:58 PM »

And no more than 20 minutes later, what should play ... but "Rock Me Gently"!!!  TANC!!!

"gonna let 'er in my butt... let 'er in my buuuuuuutttttt!"

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2008, 09:58:34 PM »
The folk who own CG, GCap media, are closing down 2 of their UK digital stations in a bid to save some bucks. They're shuttering "TheJazz" and "Planet Rock" (which is the one Alicat was raving about recently, I think).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/broadcaster-axes-digital-radio-stations-780787.html