Author Topic: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 2/11/08  (Read 12423 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 2/11/08
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2008, 11:48:33 AM »
Woohoo! The CG player is working for me today! A bit o' Sweeney's Mancunian goodness!

Playing Mink DeVille's Spanish Stroll right now--diggin' it.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2008, 11:50:19 AM »
Woohoo! The CG player is working for me today! A bit o' Sweeney's Mancunian goodness!

Playing Mink DeVille's Spanish Stroll right now--diggin' it.

Sweeney: "I Loov this track! Loov it loov it loov it loov it!"  And so do we, Mr S.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2008, 12:08:38 PM »
Kid Creole rocks da house. "'cause if i was in yo' blood, then you wouldn't be so UGLY!"

onna onna onna-motta-pee-ah!

ETA: and now Disc-O-Texx wanna dance witchoo, his shameless "Get dancin'" retread. Well, whaddya expect from a Puerto Rican hairdresser?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 12:11:46 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2008, 12:41:31 PM »
Kid Creole rocks da house. "'cause if i was in yo' blood, then you wouldn't be so UGLY!"

ETA: and now Disc-O-Texx wanna dance witchoo, his shameless "Get dancin'" retread. Well, whaddya expect from a Puerto Rican hairdresser?

And Casey Kasem's favorite interview, it seems from what he said about Monti Rock on last week's kountdown.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2008, 01:00:33 PM »

And Casey Kasem's favorite interview, it seems from what he said about Monti Rock on last week's kountdown.

For all his lack of musical talent, Miss Monti Rock III had quite the gift of gab. I mean. how else does a hairdresser end up a semi-regular guest on the Merv Griffin Show? (I always suspected that he and Merv met in a back-room bar, but of course Merv couldn't say THAT on TV, so he introduced him as "my mother's hairdresser" or something.)  I will never forget seeing him on Merv in 1970 or thereabouts, doing The. Worst. Version. EVAH. of Leonard Cohen's "Suzanne". OMFG it was horrendous.  When Disc-O-Texx turned out to be him, it made perfect sense. I'll bet his chiffon is still wet.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2008, 01:09:30 PM »

For all his lack of musical talent, Miss Monti Rock III had quite the gift of gab. I mean. how else does a hairdresser end up a semi-regular guest on the Merv Griffin Show? (I always suspected that he and Merv met in a back-room bar, but of course Merv couldn't say THAT on TV, so he introduced him as "my mother's hairdresser" or something.)  I will never forget seeing him on Merv in 1970 or thereabouts, doing The. Worst. Version. EVAH. of Leonard Cohen's "Suzanne". OMFG it was horrendous.  When Disc-O-Texx turned out to be him, it made perfect sense. I'll bet his chiffon is still wet.

And BTW, he's still alive and well and would like to sing at your wedding (or anybody's):

http://www.parsec-santa.com/montirock/Monti_Frame.html

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2008, 01:50:07 PM »
Joe Tex (no relation to Disco Texx) discovers that it takes two hands to handle a whopper. Joe, you weren't exactly svelte yerself.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2008, 01:58:17 PM »
Greg gives us a Snap attack. But ah don't WANT dat!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2008, 01:59:47 PM »
Greg gives us a Snap attack. But ah don't WANT dat!

Gitt'n, gitt'n, gitt'n kinda heavy!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2008, 06:10:08 AM »
Whew!  KFRC takes a break from "History of Rock" to flash back to Feb. 13, 1971's Kasey Kountdown.

Falling off the chart this week:
"Games" (shoot, I would've enjoyed hearing this)
"Pay to the Piper"
"For the Good Times"
"Stoned Love"
"Black Magic Woman"

In Holding at 40 and new to me: Joe Simon, "Your Time to Cry."  Tasteful strings-soaked sappy sadness.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 06:29:37 AM by Gazoo »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2008, 06:32:48 AM »
At 36 and also new to my ears: Johnnie Taylor's "Jody's Got Your Girl and Gone."  The reissue of Millie Jackson's Caught Up album had in its liner notes an interesting digression on the history of the "Jody" character in cheating songs of the period (indeed, in her album, she addresses her rival as "Mrs. Jody").

And where else on radio will you EVER hear Wilson Pickett ("Don't Let the Green Grass Fool Ya") followed by Led Zeppelin ("Immigrant Song")?

And now - TANC, I just listened to this yesterday while compiling a "Years of Our Lives" mix - Liz Damon's Orient Express, "1900 Yesterday."  Gorgeous song, dippy lyrics.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 06:48:22 AM by Gazoo »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2008, 06:52:19 AM »
Hey everybody!  Mistah Rufus in town!  Doin' the Push 'n' Pull at #27.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2008, 07:11:41 AM »
Juuuudge!  Heah comes AAAAmos!  Jerry Reed up to 23 with "Amos Moses," in what so far has been a soul/funk-heavy set.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2008, 07:22:31 AM »
Biggest OMGWTF of the set: At 21, Henry Mancini, "Theme From Love Story," which I have indeed heard before though I never knew what it was.  His last Top 40 hit would eventually peak at 13.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 08:29:33 AM by Gazoo »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2008, 07:42:35 AM »
in what so far has been a soul/funk-heavy set.

Heh, within 15 minutes of posting this, I heard Mancini, Perry Como, and Judy Collins' "Amazing Grace."

And now the fabulous "Stoney End," Barbra doing Nyro better than Nyro did Nyro (then again, I think just about anyone did Nyro better than Nyro).