Author Topic: KBCO, 11/1/07: 1994  (Read 2526 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
KBCO, 11/1/07: 1994
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007, 09:35:15 AM »
Bonnie working formula (but working it well) on "Love Sneakin' Up on You."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 09:35:57 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
I never really "got" Enigma -- or why alt-rock radio played them. It's Eurodisco dressed up in different clothes. I feel like I'm in an Amsterdam coffe bar.

I believe I mentioned this before, that yodeling was illegally sampled from an aboriginal Taiwanese guy from the Amis tribe, a singer named Difang.  In the late 1990s, he won by a suit against French pop artist Enigma for using a recording without permission of him and his wife singing a traditional drinking song as the chorus in the 1994 international megahit "Return to Innocence." Difang, an elderly man living in a remote village in Taitung county, was completely unaware of his song having been a major part of an international hit until the 1996 Olympics, when "Return to Innocence" was used as the theme song, and he heard it while watching the Olympics at home. He eventually sued Virgin and Sony and they settled out of court for enough money to allow Difang to set up a sizable endowment to benefit Taiwan aborigine culture.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 09:38:14 AM »
Storyville? Another one we'd only get from Ginger, I reckon.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2007, 09:40:54 AM »
More of the Difang story (I'm cutting and pasting from my friend Carl's blog where he told the story):

After winning the settlement over the Enigma song, he went on to cut three albums that went platinum in Asia. Not bad for a man in his 80s who had never recorded an album before. The first of these, Circle of Life, was done jointly with Deep Forrest, a Dutch outfit similar to Enigma. Difang hated the resulting album, saying the synth sounds destroyed the impact of his singing. His two subsequent albums (called "Amis" and "Across the Yellow Earth") were straight up Amis folk music. A big part of his success was due to successful marketing in Japan. He spoke fluent Japanese (and no Mandarin or Taiwanese) from growing up in the colonial period, and he toured Japan repeatedly up until his death in 2002.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2007, 09:42:16 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Storyville? Another one we'd only get from Ginger, I reckon.

too true.

Gotta fly to a 10 meeting offsite, have fun in the 80's with the classic (I'll be shocked if it's not 80's).

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2007, 09:43:29 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Bonnie working formula (but working it well) on "Love Sneakin' Up on You."

BTW, I did figure out yer sig. Cute. Betcha that song shows up in a Morey set whenever that year appears. Lou Bega will be the Haddaway of 1999.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round