Author Topic: CG/KPOO/LNG/VIP etc Week of 3/13/06  (Read 11624 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
CG/KPOO/LNG/VIP etc Week of 3/13/06
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2006, 02:44:24 PM »
Mr Bragg was just wonderful -- he did "Greetings to the New Brunette" and some new tunes. As well as the reissues, he has a new CD coming out and a book.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2006, 04:54:31 PM »
Damn, of all the days to not have time to follow the board, today was a lousy one to pick (like I had a choice). Would have LOVED to have heard either World Party or Billy Bragg, or in a perfect world, both. Wasn't I just wondering what Wallinger was up to? A quick google search reveals that he's finally releasing the last World Party record, Dumbing Up (which I bought in London two years ago, and it was a couple of years old then), in the states on May 2. I'll have to go home & check to see if they've added any tracks. And supposedly they'll be back on a proper tour in May or June. Can't wait.

ETA: Did a quick compare of the new WP site vs. the AMG entry, and they've reordered the tracks, dropped two tracks and added two new ones. And early copies come with a free DVD with 3 hours+ of vids, live footage etc., so looks like I might have to spring for it. Damn, I hate when they do that.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2006, 08:55:39 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Damn, of all the days to not have time to follow the board, today was a lousy one to pick (like I had a choice). Would have LOVED to have heard either World Party or Billy Bragg, or in a perfect world, both. Wasn't I just wondering what Wallinger was up to? A quick google search reveals that he's finally releasing the last World Party record, Dumbing Up (which I bought in London two years ago, and it was a couple of years old then), in the states on May 2. I'll have to go home & check to see if they've added any tracks. And supposedly they'll be back on a proper tour in May or June. Can't wait.

ETA: Did a quick compare of the new WP site vs. the AMG entry, and they've reordered the tracks, dropped two tracks and added two new ones. And early copies come with a free DVD with 3 hours+ of vids, live footage etc., so looks like I might have to spring for it. Damn, I hate when they do that.

KGSR is playing a track from the WP album called "What Can It Mean Now".  They're a very impressive station.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2006, 12:50:30 PM »
CGSS is fab as always, but special mention for Shalamar's "Dancing in the Sheets", which I haven't heard in yonks.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2006, 12:59:32 PM »
Jimmy "Bo" Horne, doing "Dance Across the Floor", one of KC's Sunshine castoffs.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2006, 10:36:06 PM »
Sat nite w/JJ on KPOO, and he unearths Consumer Rapport's "Ease on Down the Road" from The Wiz.  Tho' it peaked at 42 nationally, it was a top 3 single in NYC due to the ubiquitous TV commercials for that B'way show featuring the song -- it was the first musical to use TV spots as the cornerstone of its marketing campaign and sold LOTS of tix as a result.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2006, 05:57:07 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Sat nite w/JJ on KPOO, and he unearths Consumer Rapport's "Ease on Down the Road" from The Wiz.  Tho' it peaked at 42 nationally

I think MJ and La Ross's version also peaked at 42.  Did they effectively cancel each other out?  I've never heard CR's version.  (Great name, though.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2006, 07:31:15 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "RGMike"
Sat nite w/JJ on KPOO, and he unearths Consumer Rapport's "Ease on Down the Road" from The Wiz.  Tho' it peaked at 42 nationally

I think MJ and La Ross's version also peaked at 42.  Did they effectively cancel each other out?  I've never heard CR's version.  (Great name, though.)

Different years -- CR's version was in '75 (when the show was on B'way); MJ&DR was from the movie sndtkin '78.