Author Topic: I didn't know that!  (Read 65700 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: I didn't know that!
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2008, 09:33:39 AM »
Turns out that White Plains of "My Baby Loves Lovin'" fame, had the UK hit with Bobby Sherman's "Julie Do ya Love Me". I've gotta track that down.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2008, 09:37:30 AM »
Turns out that White Plains of "My Baby Loves Lovin'" fame, had the UK hit with Bobby Sherman's "Julie Do ya Love Me". I've gotta track that down.

and heeeeeeeere it is:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vvACHeD0wAA

almost identical -- not sure who was covering who; both versions charted in the UK at the same time.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2008, 10:59:58 PM »
From the ILM message board, on Dionne Warwick's rendition of "I Say a Little Prayer":

Dionne once said that she imagined it was about a girl thinking about her guy who's stationed in Vietnam.

Wow, that really kicks the song up several notches for me, and I already loved it (and Aretha's even more).  Can't believe I never thought of that.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2008, 07:45:21 AM »
From the ILM message board, on Dionne Warwick's rendition of "I Say a Little Prayer":

Dionne once said that she imagined it was about a girl thinking about her guy who's stationed in Vietnam.

Wow, that really kicks the song up several notches for me, and I already loved it (and Aretha's even more).  Can't believe I never thought of that.

Damn, that never occurred t me either, but it totally makes sense. Add it to "Galveston", "Last Train to Clarkesville", "Merry Xmas Darling" etc -- the Vietnam-as-subtext Set.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2008, 03:49:08 PM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2008, 04:06:26 PM »
Carol Douglas' 1975 "Doctors Orders" was a cover of a British hit from the year before:

http://broyes.imeem.com/music/nRc3rnu8/sunny_doctors_orders/

The artist, Sunny, is a backup singer who worked with Joe Cocker (that's her on "With a Little Help...") and T.Rex...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2008, 09:33:44 PM »
per a conversation on the KFOG Morning show, Sharks play-by-play guy Randy Hahn is married to Channel 5's Roberta Gonzalez!  Live'n'Learn!   

SFGuy

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2008, 11:49:45 PM »
per a conversation on the KFOG Morning show, Sharks play-by-play guy Randy Hahn is married to Channel 5's Roberta Gonzalez!  Live'n'Learn!   

I don't follow hockey and I knew this a couple years ago. That is why if you watched KPIX sports during the NHL lockout Randy Hahn do some fill in for sports, Gonzalez got him the job.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2008, 04:19:34 PM »

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2008, 11:49:08 AM »
Bob Shannon's "Behind the Hits" on WLNG reveals that Spanky & Our Gang's "Sunday Will Never Be the Same" was arranged by the same guy who did the Cowsills' "The Rain, the Park, etc". Makes perfect sense.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2009, 08:43:20 PM »
So I'm watching this fascinating show on SF Public Access, a photographer named Daniel Nicoletta sharing his photos of the Castro in the '70s in general and Harvey Milk in particular. Some amazing stuff. And then he gets into Harvey's pre-SF life and it turns out one of Harvey's early boyfriends in NYC, a guy named Andy who he lived with from 1956 to the early '60s, later moved to the Village and became part of the Warhol crowd and his nickname was "Sugar Plum Fairy" -- yes, Andy was *the* "Sugar Plum Fairy" from "Walk on the Wild Side"!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2009, 09:56:45 AM »
Yesterday was reading a waiting room magazine profile on Billy Crudup, whom you'd know as the lead singer of fictional band Stillwater in Almost Famous, and who will be in the much anticipated Watchmen.  Didn't know that he's won 2 Tony Awards, but I REALLY would never have guessed that he is guy behind the voice on the "Priceless" Master Card commercials.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 01:49:14 PM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2009, 10:54:16 AM »
'LNG is doing a Buddy Holly tribute -- I never knew that's King Curtis playing sax on "True Love Ways".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2009, 01:54:23 PM »
I'd always heard that a number of actresses had turned down the part of Nurse Ratched in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but per Wiki it was turned down by (hold onto your hat, princess!) Anne Bancroft, Colleen Dewhurst, Geraldine Page, Ellen Burstyn, Jane Fonda, and Angela Lansbury!