Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1419915 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #3090 on: May 15, 2011, 04:38:03 PM »
"I'm Kamel Kasem": Nice to hear Casey out himself, so to speak, in a rundown of artists who perform under noms des disques.

Yesterday in the 1979 show the LDD was from a young woman who had met her soon-to-be-husband in Iraq in 1970. She was Arab-American and he was Iraqi and I thought that was an unusual thing for Middle America to be hearing on the radio in '79... and then I remembered Casey's heritage.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: May 15, 2011, 04:54:32 PM »
Listening to "Lost 45s" on WODS (Boston) and wondering how sophisticated the commercials on radio station streams are -- like, do they know *where* you're listening and play a commercial targeted to you?  Just heard a commercial for Kaiser -- even tho' Kaiser doesn't operate in the Northeast. Odd.

Barry Scott unearths Wacky Sedaky's "That's When the Music Takes Me", which I surely haven't heard since it charted in '75. Deserved to be a much bigger hit.  And OMFG: the orig "Rhinestone Cowboy" by the guy who wrote it. Larry... somebody.

And I always say that France Joli's "Come to Me" is one of the great Donna Summer imitations, but I just realized it REALLY sounds like Ms Summer's "I Love You" which Barry just played.

And I just heard a commerecial for a foot doctor in SF so I guess that answers my question.

OMFG! I never knew that the Invisible Man's Band (of Morey fave "All Nite Thing") arose from the ashes of the Five Stairsteps! Amazing.

Listening to Mr Scott has been a treat today but the overexposed "Mr Blue Sky" doesn't exactly strike me as a "Lost 45".  Here's one, tho': TO & Dawn, "Look in My Eyes Pretty Woman".
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 07:26:13 PM by RGMike »

SFGuy

« Reply #3092 on: May 15, 2011, 07:53:27 PM »
BOS7 Don't You Want Me - Human League.  The quintessential non-sucky 80s song.

WOS5 that awful Beatles-on-45 thing Gaz mentioned. And Magical Mystery Tour wasn't a movie, it was a TV show. So there.

Horrors of all horrors. 

Sure beats the Stars on 45 version, though. At least, it's really the Beatles. If kids back then got into the Beatles because of the song, it's fine. Stars on 45...YEESH!

SFGuy

« Reply #3093 on: May 15, 2011, 10:02:42 PM »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: May 16, 2011, 10:02:55 AM »
Paul Davis' cheezy, not-even-clever nostalgia cash-in "'65 Love Affair". Doo-wop-diddy-wop-diddy-wop-doop? Seriously?

I remember liking this song when it came out.  I was 10.

Ditto and almost-ditto (I was 9).

And I thought Belinda was more attractive a little chunky, as in the "Head Over Heels" vid.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: May 21, 2011, 10:04:42 AM »
Rapture doesn't prevent Casey from letting it ride. VHM BTO. And always a BOS for Bobby W, lookin' here'n'there, searchin' evvah-where!

Forgettable Lobo followed by fantabulous Al: BOS2 "Let's Get Married on Rapture Day"

Did someone at Premiere choose this chart specifically for this weekend? "The Lord's Prayer" -- coincidence?  VHM Sis Jan.  But WOS1 Ms Reddy's sappy "Keep on Singin'", ripping off a melody from "RnR Lullabye".

BOS3 Diana and Mah-mah-Mahvin with "Mah mah mah Mistake was to make a duets LP with a pothead".

VHM ONJ -- if you love her, wouldya let her know already?  BOS4 Wm DeVaughn.

VHM EWF's first hit, "Mighty Mighty"; BOS5 JB wit da big payback -- dat's when ah LAUGH! HAH!

CKRU played, as a Canadian "extra", Burton Cummings' "Scared" -- "never been much on religion, but I sure 'nuff just fell down on my knees".

BOS6 Ree-Ree, she's in love yes she ram, yes she RAM! props to Bobby W for writing. VHM Bo Donaldson; I still say "BDBAH" was a ballsy choice in Vietman-era America. Also ballsy in '74: "My Girl Bill".

Todo da bien Chevrolet!

more religious imagery: Mike Oldfield. BOS7 "Tubular Bells".  "your mother cuts socks in hell!!"

BOS8 the Carpenters, once again doing very right by Paul Williams.

Don't. LOOOOOOOK! Etheeeeeeeellllll!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 01:00:55 PM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: May 22, 2011, 09:09:59 AM »
Chart Date: May 18, 1974
#40 Let It Ride – Bachman-Turner Overdrive
#39 Looking For A Love – Bobby Womack
#38 Seasons In The Sun – Terry Jacks
#37 Standing At The End Of The Line – Lobo
#36 Let's Get Married – Al Green
#35 The Lord's Prayer – Sister Janet Mead
#34 Keep On Singing – Helen Reddy
#33 My Mistake Was To Love You – Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye
#32 Hollywood Swinging – Kool & The Gang
#31 If You Love Me (Let Me Know) – Olivia Newton-John
#30 Be Thankful For What You Got – William Devaughn
#29 Mighty, Mighty – Earth, Wind, & Fire
#28 The Payback (Pt. 1) – James Brown
#27 I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song – Jim Croce
#26 Oh, My My – Ringo Starr
#25 Come And Get Your Love – Redbone
#24 I'm In Love – Aretha Franklin
#23 Billy, Don't Be A Hero – Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods
#22 My Girl Bill – Jim Stafford
#21 Hooked On A Feeling – Blue Swede
#20 Sundown – Gordon Lightfoot
#19 For The Love Of Money – The O'Jays
#18 Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me – Gladys Knight & The Pips
#17 Don't You Worry 'bout A Thing – Stevie Wonder
#16 Oh Very Young – Cat Stevens
#15 Just Don't Want To Be Lonely – The Main Ingredient
#14 Help Me – Joni Mitchell
#13 Tubular Bells – Mike Oldfield
#12 I Won't Last A Day Without You – The Carpenters
#11 T.S.O.P. – M.F.S.B.
#10 You Make Me Feel Brand New – The Stylistics
#9 (I've Been) Searching So Long – Chicago
#8 Midnight At The Oasis – Maria Maldaur
#7 Band On The Run – Paul McCartney & Wings
#6 Benny And The Jets – Elton John
#5 The Show Must Go On – Three Dog Night
#4 The Loco-Motion – Grand Funk
#3 The Entertainer – Marvin Hamlisch
#2 Dancing Machine – The Jackson 5
#1 The Streak – Ray Stevens
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: May 22, 2011, 09:22:21 AM »
I didn't know Terry Jacks was Canadian.  We had joy we had fun, we played hockey, eh?

that Lobo song was pretty forgettable, as Mike says, and I hear strains of one of his other songs in there -- Me 'n You And A Dog Named Boo

Oh lordy, The Lord's Prayer.  Casey calls Sister Janet Mead "the rocking nun" -- well...  Maybe "rock" as interpreted by a lounge act promoter who used to work on Lawrence Welk's show.

Marvin Gaye & Diana Ross is NTM.  I'll give it a BOS.

Wm DeVaughn and Kool and the Gang each get a BOS for two of my favorite soul/funk tunes from the chart.  Be thnkful for all that Hollwooooood Swanging. 

Oh, and what's this from Earth Wind and Fire?  I don't really recall  Mighty Mighty, but it's got some serious vocalizations.  Casey back announced it as by "a group called Earth Wind and Fire" as if they never broke into the top 40 before and a chk of Wikipedia indicates this is their first foray into the AT40 and Mighty Mighty peaks on this chart at 29.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 09:42:00 AM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: May 22, 2011, 10:10:38 AM »
10:00 already? I was just in the middle of Acoustic Sunrise! Just another Manic Sunday. Love the cover of this where the (male) lead singer changes the lyric to "I was kissin' Tarantino..."

WOS1 Moodies waaaay past their sell-by date. VHM forgotten Hooters. WOS2 .38 (not very) Special.

As I did acouple weeks ago, I'll VHM Seger's "American Storm" -- kudos on that Bittan-esque piano.

Stones shuffle off to Harlem; Falco gets a VHM for calling Vienna. 

I just HATED Short Circuit, but BOS the goofy cheesiness of El DeB's "Who's Johnny"
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 11:01:10 AM by RGMike »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: May 22, 2011, 10:37:42 AM »
Just tuned in...looks like I didn't miss much!

VHM Falco's Vienna Sausage is calling...ay yay yay!

Didn't care for Short Circuit and its song.  Hard to believe that's the same guy who soulfully sang, "Time Will Reveal".  Didn't dislike it enough to give it a WOS, though.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 10:49:50 AM by sundaygal »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: May 22, 2011, 11:00:51 AM »
Didn't care for Short Circuit and its song.  Hard to believe that's the same guy who soulfully sang, "Time Will Reveal".  Didn't dislike it enough to give it a WOS, though.

"...and I wonder who's holding Ally Sheedy now..."

Hour 2 starts with a kiss from the Purple One.  WOS3 "I Wanna Be a Plowed Boy". Oh yeah, his name is Ted , that's just SO hilarious. Sheesh.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 11:03:07 AM by RGMike »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: May 22, 2011, 11:10:57 AM »
BOS1 Prince - "Kiss".  Can't believe he was 25 when this came out (says Casey).  Genius.

VHM Simple Minds "All The Things She Said", mostly for the back-up singers.  

WOS to "I Wanna Be A Cowboy".  I can't tell you how much I loathe this song.  

BOS2 TFF's "Mother's Talk".  I appreciate this song more now than I did when it came out.

WOS2 Starship "Tomorrow Doesn't Matter Tonight".  What a soulless piece of shite this tune is.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 11:26:26 AM by sundaygal »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: May 22, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
WOS to the fake-horn keyboards on "Who's Johnny?"  Someone pointed out once that the song's more fun if you change the title to "Who Farted?"

BOS to "Mothers Talk," even though Casey's playing the restrained album version rather than the superior remix that I heard on Pittsburgh radio at the time.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: May 22, 2011, 11:24:42 AM »
WOS4 Starship -- again I ask, how is "We Built This City" the worst-song-ever when virtually ALL their '80s singles are worse than "WBTC"??

BOS2 Mater, Pater, and Simply Red. VHM ZZT's dead-on Eagles homage/parody.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 11:31:34 AM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: May 22, 2011, 11:25:35 AM »
I'm sure I'm alone in this, but I actually like "Tomorrow Doesn't Matter Tonight."  It wasn't a great choice for a single - they shoulda chanced it on the haunting ballad "Love Rusts" - but it works.