Author Topic: RIP Dolemite!  (Read 2572 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
RIP Dolemite!
« on: October 22, 2008, 01:33:30 AM »
Rudy Ray Moore, 81, of diabetes complications:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/21/obit.moore.ap/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

My first SF roommate had a friend, Dee Dee Russell, with a public-access TV show.  She devoted part of an episode to a celebration of Rudy Ray as Dolemite; I believe Mark saw it at some gathering at my place in '96 or '97.  Classic.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Dolemite!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 10:53:33 AM »

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/21/obit.moore.ap/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

My first SF roommate had a friend, Dee Dee Russell, with a public-access TV show.  She devoted part of an episode to a celebration of Rudy Ray as Dolemite; I believe Mark saw it at some gathering at my place in '96 or '97.  Classic.

I have friends who can quote long bits from Dolemite routines.  We used to play Rudy Ray on camping trips, sitting around the camp fire.  Good time.  RIP.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 11:37:50 AM »

I have friends who can quote long bits from Dolemite routines.  We used to play Rudy Ray on camping trips, sitting around the camp fire.  Good time.  RIP.

I've never seen Dolemite, but I'm fascinated by its influence -- this is a movie that truly existed on the fringe of "blaxploitation"; most white people in the '70s had heard of Sweet Sweetback, for example (despite its limited release), but Dolemite barely played in *any* theaters, yet black people of a certain age have all seen it. I did not become aware of Dolemite until many years later -- and I was a film junkie. It became a white-hipster fave on video.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 01:08:44 PM »

I've never seen Dolemite, but I'm fascinated by its influence -- this is a movie that truly existed on the fringe of "blaxploitation"; most white people in the '70s had heard of Sweet Sweetback, for example (despite its limited release), but Dolemite barely played in *any* theaters, yet black people of a certain age have all seen it. I did not become aware of Dolemite until many years later -- and I was a film junkie. It became a white-hipster fave on video.

I don't think I've seen the movie either, just listened to his albums -- material to make Red Foxx blush.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 08:48:22 AM »

I don't think I've seen the movie either, just listened to his albums -- material to make Red Foxx blush.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 09:12:37 AM »
Happy Friday to you too, Mike   :o
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 09:14:19 AM »
Happy Friday to you too, Mike   :o

That belongs on that "worst LP covers" list, no?