Author Topic: 8 Aug 2008: a "classic" from 1986  (Read 7490 times)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Aug 2008: a "classic" from 1986
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 10:24:38 AM »
I just can't hang for 86.
ah feel yer pain!  I may bail soon. So much for "not at all katrina-laden" ;)
Are you 'holding back the tears'??

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 10:25:45 AM »
VHM to "Holding Back the Years," which I sincerely thought was sung by an old black woman when it first hit the radio.  And hell if my then-13-year-old brain knew what the hell "strangled by the wishes of pater" meant.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 10:26:49 AM »

"I cry not for myself
But for those who've never known the joy we felt"

You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 10:29:07 AM »
VHM to "Holding Back the Years," which I sincerely thought was sung by an old black woman when it first hit the radio. 

Huffnal's major influence was Moms Mabley, y'know

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 10:29:33 AM »
BOS #2 Icehouse (Gene Loves Jezebel was the 1st)
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 10:31:57 AM »

"I cry not for myself
But for those who've never known the joy we felt"

I don't know where that sprung out of, but TANC: I just played that as part of my someday-wedding mix yesterday!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 10:32:34 AM »
VHM to "Holding Back the Years," which I sincerely thought was sung by an old black woman when it first hit the radio. 

Huffnal's major influence was Moms Mabley, y'know

Literally LOL!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 10:33:16 AM »
21st Amendment pt 2

I was mostly standing over near the door, which was where I got the promotions guy's ear for a bit.  Didn't talk to any of the Morning Quartet: It didn't seem like the right time or place to ask those question we all want to know: Does Benson force you to play crappy songs during those 80s and 90s sets?  Why are the KFGO deejays awesome when most of the current playlist bites ferociously?  did Annalisa teach kindergarten and/or elementary school?

Didn't get on the air, was just satisfied seeing them do their thing in person for a while.  I work a few blocks away, so it wasn't a huge deal to stop by.  I don't think I would've gone too much further out of my way to see it, however. 
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 10:35:40 AM »
BOS2 Stones at their most playful.  Earl (of "Bob & Earl", who did the orig "HS") died recently. But I still wonder about whether referring to "monkey shines" in a song about Harlem is racially questionable.

BOS3 VH.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 10:44:41 AM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 10:36:22 AM »
VHM to "Harlem Shuffle," for my money the last time the Stones mattered.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 10:37:15 AM »
BOS2 Stones at their most playful.  Earl (of "Bob & Earl", who did the orig "HS") died recently.
I didn't know that - thanks.  Vaguely recall that Barry White either played on or produced that record at a ridiculously young age.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 10:42:43 AM »
21st Amendment pt 2
I was mostly standing over near the door, which was where I got the promotions guy's ear for a bit.  Didn't talk to any of the Morning Quartet: It didn't seem like the right time or place to ask those question we all want to know: Does Benson force you to play crappy songs during those 80s and 90s sets?  Why are the KFGO deejays awesome when most of the current playlist bites ferociously?  did Annalisa teach kindergarten and/or elementary school?

Didn't get on the air, was just satisfied seeing them do their thing in person for a while.  I work a few blocks away, so it wasn't a huge deal to stop by.  I don't think I would've gone too much further out of my way to see it, however. 
Thanks for the report.  Was it crowded?  I assume the atmosphere there would be different than last week's in Walnut Creek, where it was full in that outdoor courtyard, but a mellow crowd.  I was able to get on-air to ask 'Romo' a couple questions; mshray and I got pics with Morey (see avatar) while he was trying to have a cig out back.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 10:43:16 AM »
BOS2 Stones at their most playful.  Earl (of "Bob & Earl", who did the orig "HS") died recently.
I didn't know that - thanks.  Vaguely recall that Barry White either played on or produced that record at a ridiculously young age.

The KPOO oldies guy did a tribute Monday nite -- Earl Nelson had quite a career, actually:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/earl-nelson-half-of-bob--earl-880270.html

VHM "the excitement of David Bowie" -- I can't hear a Labyrinth clip without thinking of Flight of the Conchords

BOS4 Geena Davis "be afraid... be VERY afraid!"
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 10:44:50 AM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 10:54:43 AM »
21st Amendment pt 2

Thanks for the report.  Was it crowded?  I assume the atmosphere there would be different than last week's in Walnut Creek, where it was full in that outdoor courtyard, but a mellow crowd.  I was able to get on-air to ask 'Romo' a couple questions; mshray and I got pics with Morey (see avatar) while he was trying to have a cig out back.
from your pics and report, I think the setting and venue in WC was better suited.  Looks like you had some fun: not too many personalized photo opps at 21st, I'd say. The bar takes up a lot of space right near the front door, and the morning crew setup was  around the bar and then against the side wall, so getting close to them meant trying to get past the doorway area (where aa lot of folks were standing, including me most of the time) and then trying to find a table (hard to do) or a place to stand that wasn't in the way of the staff trying to serve paying patrons. 

During the Air Guitar bit, the bar tender (owner?) was telling his co-workers "I'm better than that,"  -- and he was serious.  The air guitar guy flopped onto the bar and played the solo to Journey's "Anyway You Want It" while on his back, then scooted his mouth under one of the beer taps and gave himself a taste.  The barkeep seemed this close to going after him.  that was one of the highlights for me... heh heh.  Crowd was nice, having fun.  did I mention the free coffee and bagels?  bonus.
~CPL593H~