Author Topic: The "Best of the Decade" Thread  (Read 6801 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The "Best of the Decade" Thread
« on: December 09, 2009, 09:29:44 AM »
As we're about to be inundated with "Best of the '00s" lists, I thought I'd start this thread.  This morning KFOG did a Request-O-Rama and the questions were "What was the #1 album of the decade?" and "...of the year?"  Turned out the #1 album of the '00s was Beatles #1s, a bit of a surprise to me. (They didn't say if this was based on sales or chart performance.) 

Oh, and the #1 album of 2009 -- Kings of Leon, Only By the Night.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The "Best of the Decade" Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 10:48:09 AM »
As we're about to be inundated with "Best of the '00s" lists, I thought I'd start this thread.  This morning KFOG did a Request-O-Rama and the questions were "What was the #1 album of the decade?" and "...of the year?"  Turned out the #1 album of the '00s was Beatles #1s, a bit of a surprise to me. (They didn't say if this was based on sales or chart performance.) 

The Beatles #1 won the best of the decade?   Was this just an informal KFOG vote?  'Cause I would completely believe that KFOG listeners would do that.  (Come to think of it, compared to many new releases KFOG features, I might do that, too.)
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 10:56:13 AM »

The Beatles #1 won the best of the decade?   Was this just an informal KFOG vote?  'Cause I would completely believe that KFOG listeners would do that.  (Come to think of it, compared to many new releases KFOG features, I might do that, too.)

no no no, not a Foghead poll, it's based on either sales or chart performance.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 07:40:29 AM »
Rolling Stone "Best of the '00s" Reader Poll: a Green Day sweep! Best Artist, Album (American Idiot) and Single ("Boulevard of Broken Dreams").

So KFOG used the above as a Request-O-Rama question, and the winner requested...  "21 Guns". I kid U not. Sheesh.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 09:06:25 AM »
Rolling Stone "Best of the '00s" Reader Poll: a Green Day sweep! Best Artist, Album (American Idiot) and Single ("Boulevard of Broken Dreams").

So KFOG used the above as a Request-O-Rama question, and the winner requested...  "21 Guns". I kid U not. Sheesh.

Which is why I have little hope for the Foghead demographic.

On the other hand, the station obviously knows its audience.... :-|
Let's get right to it.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 07:24:33 AM »
Nielsen SoundScan list of Top 10 Bestselling CDs of this decade and coming in at number one, selling 11,499,000 copies, is The Beatles - 1, 40 years after their breakup!  The only way a CD can sell such huge numbers is if young listeners are buying it, and they most certainly are.  Great to know Beatles music transcends generations and this achievement is proof their music is timeless.  The top 10 lists:
Bestselling Albums of the Decade
1.The Beatles - 1 - 11,499,000
2.NSYNC - No Strings Attached - 11,112,000
3.Norah Jones - Come Away With Me - 10,546,000
4.Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP - 10,204,000
5.Eminem - The Eminem Show - 9,799,000
6.Usher - Confessions - 9,712,000
7.Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory - 9,663,000
8.Creed - Human Clay - 9,491,000
9.Britney Spears, Oops! I Did It Again - 9,185,000
10.Nelly - Country Grammar - 8,461,000
Bestselling Digital Singles of the Decade
1.Flo Rida feat. T-Pain - "Low" - 5,214,000
2.Lady Gaga feat. Colby O'Donis - "Just Dance" - 4,690,000
3.Jason Mraz - "I'm Yours" - 4,619,000
4.Timbaland feat. OneRepublic - "Apologize" - 4,439,000
5.The Black Eyed Peas - "Boom Boom Pow" - 4,349,000
6.Soulja Boy Tell'em - "Crank That" - 4,315,000
7.Lady Gaga - "Poker Face" - 4,200,000
8.Coldplay - "Viva la Vida" - 4,140,000
9.Taylor Swift - "Love Story" - 4,005,000
10.Katy Perry - "Hot N Cold" - 3,945,000
http://top40.about.com/b/2009/12/09/nielsen-soundscan-lists-top-selling-albums-and-digital-songs-of-the-decade.htm

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 08:36:50 AM »
The top 10 lists:
Bestselling Albums of the Decade
1.The Beatles - 1 - 11,499,000
2.NSYNC - No Strings Attached - 11,112,000
3.Norah Jones - Come Away With Me - 10,546,000
4.Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP - 10,204,000
5.Eminem - The Eminem Show - 9,799,000
6.Usher - Confessions - 9,712,000
7.Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory - 9,663,000
8.Creed - Human Clay - 9,491,000
9.Britney Spears, Oops! I Did It Again - 9,185,000
10.Nelly - Country Grammar - 8,461,000
1.Flo Rida feat. T-Pain - "Low" - 5,214,000
2.Lady Gaga feat. Colby O'Donis - "Just Dance" - 4,690,000
4.Timbaland feat. OneRepublic - "Apologize" - 4,439,000
5.The Black Eyed Peas - "Boom Boom Pow" - 4,349,000
6.Soulja Boy Tell'em - "Crank That" - 4,315,000
7.Lady Gaga - "Poker Face" - 4,200,000
8.Coldplay - "Viva la Vida" - 4,140,000
9.Taylor Swift - "Love Story" - 4,005,000
10.Katy Perry - "Hot N Cold" - 3,945,000
http://top40.about.com/b/2009/12/09/nielsen-soundscan-lists-top-selling-albums-and-digital-songs-of-the-decade.htm

holy frijoles, do I feel old...
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 09:04:11 AM »

Just kill me now.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea that a rapper who calls himself "Flo Rida" because he's from, y'know... Florida... is considered the height of cleverness.

And while we're at it, EW's "Entertainers of the Decade" issue made me very depressed. I mean, I'm certainly down with Jon Stewart and Tina Fey, but the idea that people think Justin Timberlake is one of the great entertainers of our age is just batshit crazy IMHO.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 09:14:23 AM »

Just kill me now.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea that a rapper who calls himself "Flo Rida" because he's from, y'know... Florida... is considered the height of cleverness.

And while we're at it, EW's "Entertainers of the Decade" issue made me very depressed. I mean, I'm certainly down with Jon Stewart and Tina Fey, but the idea that people think Justin Timberlake is one of the great entertainers of our age is just batshit crazy IMHO.

I don't know Flo Rida's stuff, nor do I consider myself a up on hip hop culture, etc., but I think "Flo Rida" is pretty clever when you see the name's other intention as "Flow Reader."  Achieving good "flow" is what a rapper shoots for, getting into a zone where the words and rhymes come easy.  So he's "Reading" the words his "Flow" muse sends him.  I like it and I'm the un-hip hoppiest dude around.  (Of course, I'm assuming he's a rapper from Florida, maybe he's a new age harpist from Jersey.)
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 09:40:06 AM »
[I don't know Flo Rida's stuff, nor do I consider myself a up on hip hop culture, etc., but I think "Flo Rida" is pretty clever when you see the name's other intention as "Flow Reader."  Achieving good "flow" is what a rapper shoots for, getting into a zone where the words and rhymes come easy.  So he's "Reading" the words his "Flow" muse sends him.  I like it and I'm the un-hip hoppiest dude around.  (Of course, I'm assuming he's a rapper from Florida, maybe he's a new age harpist from Jersey.)

Actually it's supposed to mean "flow rider", I think. And I *get* that; I just think it's kinda facile and obvious.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 10:00:25 AM »
Yup, "flow rider."  And his songs - even more than his name - trade in the facile and obvious, so no wonder he's a top seller.

Would like to see the biggest *airplay* singles of the decade - I bet Outkast's "Hey Ya" would take that one.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 10:04:25 AM »
Yup, "flow rider."  And his songs - even more than his name - trade in the facile and obvious, so no wonder he's a top seller.

Would like to see the biggest *airplay* singles of the decade - I bet Outkast's "Hey Ya" would take that one.

and that's a mass-appeal hit even *I* can get behind.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 07:50:46 PM »
Just read that Daniel "Bad Day" Powter was named Biggest One-Hit Wonder of the Decade.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 08:21:11 AM »
EW's "Entertainers of the Decade" issue made me very depressed. I mean, I'm certainly down with Jon Stewart and Tina Fey, but the idea that people think Justin Timberlake is one of the great entertainers of our age is just batshit crazy IMHO.

Someone on another message board agrees with me about Mr Timberlake. He's performimg at the Golden Globes:

Why do they have to invite Justin Timberlake to these things like he's some kind of Hollywood royalty?

Isn't it bad enough when he shows up at the Vibe, Source, and NAACP Awards year in and out and somehow WINS SHIT while the entirely black audience stares on, just kind of shrugging at this boy-band douche stealing their moment?

Now he's gotta emcee Hollywood events and rub elbows with real movie stars?

I think the most annoying thing about it is, he's actually pretty good at everything he tries -- acting, comedy, emceeing, hosting, of course music. He's just good enough to kind of pull it off, but still... man, ALL OF AMERICA should SUE THEIR PARENTS for not putting them on the Mickey Mouse Club, because this dude's never known a boring, solitary, lonesome, unhappy or stressful day in his life.

ROTFLMFAOWPMP!!!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 01:53:28 PM by RGMike »

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 09:18:23 AM »

ROTFLMFAOWPMP!!!

If you are laughing your ass off while peeing your pants, wouldn't your pants at least be temporarily holding your ass on?

I'm just asking.

;)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 02:13:41 PM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010