Author Topic: KBCO, 10/29/07: 1989  (Read 3456 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
KBCO, 10/29/07: 1989
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 09:35:20 AM »
Wow, this Fixx song is new to me; instant BOS.  Did this chart at all?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 09:35:57 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Wow, the Fixx -- I don't recall this getting much play at the time.

I was listening to the kinds of stations that played it, but haven't heard it since.  BOS #3 from me.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 09:39:58 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

I was listening to the kinds of stations that played it, but haven't heard it since.  BOS #3 from me.

I was listening to the kinds of stations that *should* have played it, but for whatever reason ignored it.  I don't remember hearing this Shawn Colvin in '89 either.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 09:44:48 AM »

I was listening to the kinds of stations that *should* have played it, but for whatever reason ignored it.  I don't remember hearing this Shawn Colvin in '89 either.

I don't think I had ever even heard of Shawn Colvin before "Sunny Came Home" - the stations I was listening to at the time had no use for the genre.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 09:50:35 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

I don't think I had ever even heard of Shawn Colvin before "Sunny Came Home" - the stations I was listening to at the time had no use for the genre.

Triple-A as a format didn't really come into its own until the early '90s -- and so KFOG was my first exposure to it. NYC still doesn't have a Triple-A station (unless you've got a really good antenna and can pull in The Peak). I still believe that if WNEW-FM had morphed into Triple-A from heritage prog (as KFOG did), instead of doing that awful talk format in the '90s, that the radio landscape in NY would be different today.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2007, 09:52:03 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

I heard this song back in the day, along with the original of that new Eddie Vedder track "Hard Sun"*, on KTYD in Sta. Barbara & on XTRA (out of TJ) in SanDiego.

Not sure I paid any attention to who Shawn Colvin was then, nor could I have ID'd this song today without peaking.

*it got played on KFOG about 7:45 this morning & Dave deftly ID'd it as "Eddie Vedder's cover of a song by Indio", which pleased me.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2007, 12:03:37 PM »

I heard this song back in the day, along with the original of that new Eddie Vedder track "Hard Sun"*, on KTYD in Sta. Barbara & on XTRA (out of TJ) in SanDiego.

*it got played on KFOG about 7:45 this morning & Dave deftly ID'd it as "Eddie Vedder's cover of a song by Indio", which pleased me.

Heard him do likewise once or twice last week, so someone obviously hipped him to that faux pas. Maybe even us?
Let's get right to it.