Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1409782 times)

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #3480 on: November 12, 2011, 11:04:25 AM »
OMFG! BOS6 this delightful J-5 extra. "Corner of the Sky", from the B'way musical Pippin, in which Motown was a major investor.And a Canuck extra from Neil Young, whose 66th B-day is today.

Hour2 of what's been quite amazing so far. VHMs Alice, the Stylistics, and America.
Can't listen anymore, but tons of BOSes to come.  I've been trying to get AL to play "Garden Party" forevah!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: November 12, 2011, 11:29:11 AM »
OMFG! BOS6 this delightful J-5 extra. "Corner of the Sky", from the B'way musical Pippin, in which Motown was a major investor.And a Canuck extra from Neil Young, whose 66th B-day is today.

Hour2 of what's been quite amazing so far. VHMs Alice, the Stylistics, and America.

BOS7 Nilsson's goofy "Spaceman", one you never hear. VHM Gallery covering Mac Davis; BOSes 8 & 9, the Rev. Al and Teddy P.

BOS10 Mel & Tim, saving themselves from being OHWs. H&O did a nice cover of this one.

BOS11 and proxy of Gaz: Chi Coltrane, singing about a really big one.

I don't know how to handle it
It's more than I would dare
I wouldn't try to run from it
It reaches everywhere

« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:32:32 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: November 12, 2011, 11:34:32 AM »

BOS7 Nilsson's goofy "Spaceman", one you never hear. VHM Gallery covering Mac Davis; BOSes 8 & 9, the Rev. Al and Teddy P.

BOS10 Mel & Tim, saving themselves from being OHWs. H&O did a nice cover of this one.

BOS11 and proxy of Gaz: Chi Coltrane, singing about a really big one.

I don't know how to handle it
It's more than I would dare
I wouldn't try to run from it
It reaches everywhere

I'm listening, was too distracted with other stuff to post.  Enjoying this!  But I missed that trivia question about highest entry into the Top 40 - what was that?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: November 12, 2011, 11:38:38 AM »
Oh no! Something's wrong with Austin Roberts!  VHM -- it's far better than his *other* hit, "Rocky". If only he'd remained a one-hit-wonder.

You took the words right out of my mouth.  (I wish you'd taken them out of his.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: November 12, 2011, 11:38:57 AM »
I'm listening, was too distracted with other stuff to post.  Enjoying this!  But I missed that trivia question about highest entry into the Top 40 - what was that?

Elvis, "Love Me Tender".

awwww: VHM MJ and his rat. Ditto S&C and their jasmine.

Speaking of OHWs: BOS12 Danny O'keeffe

it's AY-ul-vis! BOS13 "Burnin' Lurve". I used to think Elaine was now licking his body.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:46:12 AM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: November 12, 2011, 11:39:59 AM »
OMFG! BOS6 this delightful J-5 extra. "Corner of the Sky"

My BOS so far.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: November 12, 2011, 11:44:16 AM »
BOS 2 "Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues."  I was just listening to Charlie Rich's version this week - all the more poignant given his name and drinking problem at the height of his commercial success.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: November 12, 2011, 11:46:48 AM »
I'm listening, was too distracted with other stuff to post.  Enjoying this!  But I missed that trivia question about highest entry into the Top 40 - what was that?

Elvis, "Love Me Tender".

Oh, did they specify *solo* artist?  I was surprised the answer wasn't the Beatles' "Let It Be."
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:57:50 AM by Gazoo »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: November 12, 2011, 11:50:09 AM »
Among bands with multiple vocalists on lead, I was surprised Casey didn't mention the Beach Boys (Al, Mike, Brian and Carl).

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: November 12, 2011, 11:51:48 AM »
BOS3 the Temps, dealin' in debt and stealin' in the name of the Lord.   Prosperity ministry, anyone?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: November 12, 2011, 12:03:48 PM »
BOS4 to the gorgeous "If I Could Reach You," very nearly a Marilyn solo.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: November 12, 2011, 12:04:40 PM »
uber-BOS14 (!) the fab 5-D. I don't care if you're a call girl, Miss McCoo. Really a terrific lyric; apparently it's been coverd by Johnny Mathis (!) among others.

BOS15 "Convention '72" -- ooohhh, shades of excitement!

BOS16 Ms Reddy, hear her roar!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 12:21:30 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: November 12, 2011, 12:16:09 PM »
Wow, "Convention '72" is a trip!  One of the interviewers sounded like either a Family Guy lisper or Dave Chappelle's "Fabulous New York Boobs" guy!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 12:17:46 PM by Gazoo »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: November 12, 2011, 12:20:52 PM »
Here's an AT40 bonus track of my own: a Holland-Dozier release that was nearing its #57 peak this week: "Why Can't We Be Lovers?"  Very Four Tops-esque; maybe Levi would have had more success with it.

Full Hot 100 chart for this week: http://umdmusic.com/default.asp?Lang=English&Chart=D&ChDay=11&ChMonth=11&ChYear=1972&ChBand=&ChSong=

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: November 12, 2011, 12:24:54 PM »
Here's an AT40 bonus track of my own: a Holland-Dozier release that was nearing its #57 peak this week: "Why Can't We Be Lovers?"  Very Four Tops-esque; maybe Levi would have had more success with it.

I love that one -- JJ plays it often. And agreed on the Levi-shoulda-done-it. (Ditto R Dean Taylor's "Ghost i My House", which I heard the other day).

WOS2 "My Ding-a-Ling". Ugh.  Chuck sounds like Cleveland Brown, doesn't he? Turrible.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 12:26:32 PM by RGMike »