Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1409490 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #3375 on: September 11, 2011, 12:06:32 PM »
Hour 3: Genesis throw it away. My sentiments exactly.

VHMs Timex Social, Janet J and Stacey Q with her dead-on Madonna ripoff.

OMGWTFLOL: BOS7 just because, to Double's cheezeball Eurotrash lounge ballad "Captain of Her Heart".

Ah LURVES me a man-sized love! BOS8 Klymaxx

More crappy '80s balladry: Billy Ocean, "Love Zone". But BOS9 Daryl Hall -- I need a substutute phrase for "unfairly forgotten" because I'm using it way too much lately, but "Dreamtime" is one of the great lost 45s of the '80s.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:37:34 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: September 12, 2011, 06:12:54 PM »
This week, That '70s Casey hits Sept 21st 1974:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/09-21-74.pdf

And Casey's '80s is from Sept 19th 1981

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/09-19-81.pdf

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: September 17, 2011, 09:54:28 AM »
It's Pride Day in Peterborough, Ontario Canada.  Too bad "My Girl Bill" isn't in this 1974 chart. Well at least there's some Elton. And, er, "Alice Bowie".

Soapsud-green, like bubbles: America heads for the Tropic of Sir Galahad, whereverthefuck that is.

TANC: Souther Hillman Furay's "Fallin in Love", which Rob played in a Peak '74 set this week. Yeah, sounds just like Poco. VHMFRA.

BOS1 JB, takin NO mess, y'all.  BOS2 Donny & his brothas with their all-time peak performance, "Love Me For a Reason". *swoon*!

VHM Mr Stafford, smokin some "Weed"

eek: Fancy's deservedly forgotten cover of "Wild Thing". The woman singer quit the band to be with her chauvinistic hubby? Not so "Wild" then.

I said this when we heard it a month ago, but BOS3 Billy "Crash" Craddock's "Rub it In", one of the great summer songs that you never hear.

Miss Rubina Flake takes a stroll in the park.

Bitchy EJ is in high (Gus) dudgeon. BOS4. Carole King sings to her bra! And the Gaz-man's testifyin'!

VHM Charlie Rich -- another forgotten gem. Kenny Rogers shoulda revived this one in the '80s.

Funny: EJ was allowed to say "bitch" but the Ohio Players had to change "bad bad bitches" to "bad bad misses". Ahm 'bout to bust mah stitches!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 09:24:00 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: September 17, 2011, 11:06:18 AM »
Hour 2: I'd forgotten Mac Davis' "Stop & Smell the Roses" was co-written by Doc Severinsen!

VHM TO & Dawn's "Steppin' Out", one of the more agreeable tunes in their "old-timey" period.

BOS5 Joni, unfettered and alive. VHM the Tymes' "Trustmaker" -- yessir! -- and another VHM Blue Swede; I've always preferred their "Never My Love" to "Hooked on an Oogah-Chugga"

BOS6 Cheech, Chong, and Alice Bowie. My basketball coach, he done kicked me off the team/For wearin' high-heel sneakers and actin' like a queen

Mick spills his heart all over the stage. Er, eww.

BOS7 and proxy of Gaz: Bo Donaldson.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! WOS "Sweet Home Ala-Bummer"

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 12:05:01 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: September 17, 2011, 12:06:49 PM »
Hour 3: Donny returns with Marie at his side.  And First Class drive to San Jose for a Saturday Night with the Cat Man.

uber-BOS8 Johnny Bristol's still-fantabulous "Hang on in There Baby", you sweet virgin of the world.

Casey's answer about highest-debuting LPs comes a year before the first #1 debuting album, EJ's Capt Fantastic.

WOS2 "Sexually-Transmitted Disease For The Werewolf Guy"

Crapton shoots! (the sherriff) Dionne scores! (some coke)

Oh, 'livia: "you shouldn't blow the chance, when you've got the chance to blow". And speaking of, Andy Kim bends over. BOS9 the best Neil Diamond imitation EVAH.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 12:51:30 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: September 18, 2011, 10:05:07 AM »
I swear it seems like every other week the show starts with Casey thanking whoever sat in for him the previous week. This week he thanked Gary Owens -- I'd've loved to have heard *that* show. Recorded in Beautiful Downtown Burbank, no doubt.

VHM Evelyn (no Champagne) King -- she in LOVE, girl!

Jeezus, even the Allmans were into that imitation-Doobies thing in '81. I don't remember this one at all, thankfully.

VHM James Ingram, singing for Q; BOS the Four Tops singing about the big-legged girl -- guess she was hotter than the one-eyed Gott.

VHM John Denver's next-to-last Top 40 appearance.

oh the horror: white girls rapping about a soap opera. WOS "General Hospi-Tale". TANC: we'll hear Dr. Noah Drake in the next hour.

I thought that ABB song was obscure, but even moreso is this EJ song I surely haven't heard in 30 years: "Chloe"

OMG! VHM Jarreau-hands!

They played "Hill St Blues" as an extra and it was TOTALLY not the original hit version -- Larry Carlton's guitar solo was MIA. WTFF?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 11:58:31 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: September 18, 2011, 11:04:12 AM »
Hour 2 : Silver Condor (WHO?) doing "You Could Take My Heart Away" is NTM.  Per Whitburn, band features Earl Slick, later of Phantom Rocker & Slick. Pretty generic midtempo ballad. Feh.  But BOS2 Rick Springfield -- he's done everything for you.

VHM Ms Benatar's "Fire & Ice". Damn, we're really in forgotten-hit-land today: Fogelberg's "Hard to Say" and Kim Carnes' "Draw of the Cards" -- forgotten for good reason, sez me.

From forgotten hits to overexposed classics: H&O followed by Rick James.

uber-BOS3 Kenny Rogers' lovely cover of "Share Your Love" -- easily one of his 2 or 3 best singles, with stellar backing vox from Gladys Knight.

More forgotten 45s: Gary Wright's "Really Wanna Know You" and Balance with "Breaking Away" -- the latter is something of a "Steal Away" clone.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 11:51:11 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: September 18, 2011, 12:05:26 PM »
Hour 3: BOS4 and proxy of cairo, Lulu's fab '81 comeback "I Could Never Miss You (More Than I Do)"

unexpected VHM to REO's jaunty "In Your Letter"; BOS5 Sheena's Bond theme.

Pablo Cruise's cool kinda love is a boring kinda comeback.

BOS6 Joey Scarbury.  Another for my "someday I'll Karaoke this one" list.

I must be in a good mood: it's Hour 3 and it's only my 2nd WOS: the utterly unnecessary "Beach Boys Medley" --what a crappy editing job, if nothing else. Well at least they didn't add a clap-track.

Dr Noah Drake reappears, but the point is prob'ly moot. Accroches-toi, ELO.

BOS7 The Stones' last truly great 45
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 12:42:56 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: September 20, 2011, 08:58:42 PM »
This weekend That '70s Casey visits Sept 27th 1975:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/09-27-75.pdf

And Casey's '80s is from Sept 26th 1987:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/09-26-87.pdf

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: September 24, 2011, 07:28:40 AM »
Mike, great commentaries that I'm just now catching up on.

I tuned in to this '75 set too late to hear "Miracles," but two things I want to point out:

Casey's trivia note that Elvis's 52 consecutive weeks in the Top 10 was a safe record - ironically, Katy Perry broke that record just this week, her five #1s from Teenage Dream now having spanned 53 consecutive weeks.

And his interview with Janis Ian: she says all sorts of people are" unhappy with the way they look, or the way they are."  A distant foreshadow of her coming out, I suspect.

Lotsa great tunes in this set, and only a couple wincers.  I'll listen to the first half tomorrow, I hope.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: September 24, 2011, 07:33:23 AM »
I love hearing this Barry song on Saturday mornings - sledgehammery that way.  "Come, come into my arms - and then fetch me a towel."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: September 24, 2011, 08:55:30 AM »
Mike, great commentaries that I'm just now catching up on.

Yes, Mike's comments, snarky or not, are great reads.  :)

Welcome back, Gazoo!
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: September 24, 2011, 09:34:52 AM »
pre-Casey, it's the CKRU OMGWTFLOL-of-the-Week, Nazareth's hard-rock interp of Joni's "This Flight Tonight", which I haven't heard in many a moon.

Followed by -- *swoon* -- Gino Vanelli's underrated "Black Cars"
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 09:47:35 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: September 24, 2011, 10:06:20 AM »
Hour 1: you can't hide -- you're lionized!

BOS1 AWB's fantabulous "If I Ever Lose This Heaven" which deserved much better, chart-wise.  VHM Mr Garfunkel's cover of "I Only Have Eyes..."

VHM Jim Stafford -- wonder if he does all these songs about weed for the Jeebus-loving yahoos in Branson?

Oh, Karen!  BOS2 the Carpenters, giving Wacky Sedacky's "Solitaire" some real heft.  Lawdy! BOS3 Esther Phillips' discofied "What a Diff a Day Makes".

TO & Dawn's Marvin & Tammi cover hasn't been heard since '75. There's a reason for that. Not their finest hour.

John Williams' Jaws theme gets an HM for being a "pure" novelty -- people bought it because they saw the movie, but how many played it over and over?

uber-BOS4 Michael Murphy's lovely "Carolina in the Pines" -- I can't express how much I loved this one in '75.

VHM Frankie and da Joizey Boyz. Eat yer heart out, Situation. Always a VHM for Leon's "Lady Blue" (from the LP Past Tense, har har)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 10:46:40 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: September 24, 2011, 11:10:44 AM »
Hour 2: the short version of "Miracles" to start. Paul & Phoebe get a VHM but boy would I love to hear the version with Bette.

Wacky Sedaky knows all about man-eating bitches, being one himself. WOS "Bad (baaad) Blood (blooood)". WOS2 the horrid "Rocky".

VHM the cheezy disco goodness of "Brazil".

BOS5 the Osmonds' fine cover of "The Proud One", an obscure Frankie Valli mid-charter. They really found their calling (a tad too late) doing forgotten ballads.

The Pointers ask "how long?" -- that's rather a personal question, ladies. BOS6 anyway.

America keep the oven warm; H,JF & R are fawwin' in wuv.

VHM Tavares, gettin' a flu attack -- for 30 days they on they back!

The cheezeball classic "Feelings" isn't nearly as hellish as people would have you believe. That doesn't mean it's good, either.

BOS7 Paul & Odia at their Marvin'n'Tammiest -- easily their best collab.  "Mr Jaws" was Dickie Goodman's biggest hit since his first, back in the '50s.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 11:47:22 AM by RGMike »