Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1409671 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #3165 on: June 04, 2011, 06:49:24 AM »
The Supes' "Automatically Sunshine" was NTM: great riff, but one of their least memorable refrains.  They needed to modulate or ad lib to spice that up a bit; little wonder it'd peak at just #37.

Lovely to hear "Vincent" again; I like it more with each listen.

Thankfully, Casey spares me all but a minute of the Royal Dragoon Guard's Amazing Bagpipes.  WOS nevertheless, just cuz I hate the sound of the instrument.

Joe Tex's "I Gotcha" was sounding uncomfortably date-rapey this morning, a feeling made worse by its being followed with "Troglodyte."

BOS to Todd, his every production/instrumentation choice a perfect one on "I Saw the Light."

HM to Billy Preston's "Outa-Space," but Casey, in answering his own trivia question about the Beatles' sharing credit on a single, appears to have forgotten about Tony Sheridan.

And VHM to the Carpenters with their most forgotten early hit, the Carole King-penned "It's Gonna Take Some Time."  It doesn't appear on any Carpenters comp I've seen.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: June 04, 2011, 09:12:33 AM »
And VHM to the Carpenters with their most forgotten early hit, the Carole King-penned "It's Gonna Take Some Time."  It doesn't appear on any Carpenters comp I've seen.

And the single that broke their streak of 6 consecutive TOP 3 hits. Wonder if Ms King felt bad about that. But funny: I have a 2-disc Capenters anthol that has it, but excludes "Solitaire".

Looking forward to this chart; meanwhile CKRU is piling on the Canuck obscurities: Guess Who, "Runnin Back to Saskatoon" (!) and April Wine, "Lady Run, Lady Hide" -- guess she knows Joe Tex.

Yo, "Billy": Susan Jacks just called you a hole, babe.  Gord Lightfoot's "Summer Side of Life" is sounding lovely on this unseasonably rainy June SF morn.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 09:35:56 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: June 04, 2011, 09:58:34 AM »
Hour1 begins: I'll HM the Supes tune for nostalgia's sake and because it's a Smokey comp.  But instant WOS Jimmy Osmond. Good lord, this was horrible then and still is.

BOS1 Cher's sadly forgotten "Living in a House Divided", a nice bit of '70s MOR/pop songwriting.  Gotta get AL to play the Jackson 5 version of "Doctor My Eyes" one of these days.  VHM Andy Williams, making us an offer we can't refuse.

Why is everybody throwing rocks in Frederick Knight's bed?  WTF?

VHM Moodies. Isn't life strange, old rocket man?

BOS2 the fantabulous Miss Millie Jackson, "Ass Me Watchoo Want". Bay-buh Bay-buh PLEEEEZE!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 10:37:10 AM by RGMike »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: June 04, 2011, 10:39:16 AM »
Hour1 begins: I'll HM the Supes tune for nostalgia's sake and because it's a Smokey comp.  But instant WOS Jimmy Osmond. Good lord, this was horrible then and still is.

BOS1 Cher's sadly forgotten "Living in a House Divided", a nice bit of '70s MOR/pop songwriting.  Gotta get AL to play the Jackson 5 version of "Doctor My Eyes" one of these days.  VHM Andy Williams, making us an offer we can't refuse.

Why is everybody throwing rocks in Frederick Knight's bed?  WTF?

VHM Moodies. Isn't life strange, old rocket man?

Weird story:  When I was a kid, I used to fantasize Andy Williams was my father.  My mom had a photo of them together at some party in the late 60s.  His murderess wife was also in the pic...I forget her name.  Anyway, I used to play my mom's Born Free record over and over!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: June 04, 2011, 10:42:57 AM »

Weird story:  When I was a kid, I used to fantasize Andy Williams was my father.  My mom had a photo of them together at some party in the late 60s.  His murderess wife was also in the pic...I forget her name.  Anyway, I used to play my mom's Born Free record over and over!

Hahahaha!  Claudine Longet was the bitch's name.  Why doesn't this Canadian station play more Andy Williams?

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: June 04, 2011, 10:52:56 AM »
Lawdy child! our Canuck friends dust off a copy of Neil D's "Stones" for the most welcome extra of the morning so far.

Hour2: America needs you to lean on Bill Withers.

TANC: Harry Chapin says it's rainin' hard in 'Frisco -- and it is!  And CKRU and KFRC's AT40s are almost perfectly in sync.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 11:14:23 AM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: June 04, 2011, 11:16:49 AM »
there were quite a bit of extras b/w hours one and two,  the aforementioned Neil Diamond's 'Stones' and 'Layla.'   I thought they had dropped the show!

good to hear War, keeping it real.  those guys came from the streets.  Too bad the group touring as 'War' right now is just the one dude who owns the name.  There's another band out there called The Low Rider band that contains more members, but they cannot mention their previous careers in 'War' while onstage.   So county fair band fans beware!

Harry Chapin's 'Taxi,' that falsetto voice always cracks me up
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: June 04, 2011, 11:19:24 AM »
there were quite a bit of extras b/w hours one and two,  the aforementioned Neil Diamond's 'Stones' and 'Layla.'   I thought they had dropped the show!

they started a bit early (around 9:53 or so) and I think they were just trying to get back in sync with a top-of-the-hour start.

ah, bagpipes...  geez, gaz wasn't kidding about the truncated version.  BOS3 da mama pajama and the Lemon Ice King of Corona.

betcha, by golly, I gotcha, you troglodyte!

BOS4 Todd is Godd; VHM Bread's sweet "Diary" and BOS5 the Carpenters-do-Carole.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 11:42:33 AM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: June 04, 2011, 11:22:00 AM »

thery started a bit early (around 9:53 or so) and I think they were just trying to get back in sync with a top-of-the-hour start.

ah, bagpipes...

no wonder I missed the Supes, Don McLean and Jimmy Osmond.  drat

I like bagpipes. Must be those St Pat's Parades I saw when I lived in NYC.  Makes me want to go to war and not spend money.

Agree w Gaz, today Joe Tex sounds extra creepy.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 11:36:12 AM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: June 04, 2011, 11:54:24 AM »
Hour3 begins with another appropriate lyric: Glodean & the girls walking in the rain with the little bitty pretty one they love. VHMs to Love Unltd and the J-5.

Even a "Song Sung Blue" couldn't help Ms McCoo get to sleep.

another trivia question whose answer changed after it was answered: Casey sez "only once" have 2 diff songs with the same title BOTH reached #1 (the Frankie Avalon and Shocking Blue "Venus"es).  A year later, Macca would take the 2nd "My Love" to #1 (the first was Pet Clark's).

Look what Al Green done to me!

Hearing "Hot Rod Lincoln" reminds me of when "Big 98.1" in SF signed on as an All-'70s format back in '94. They were very rock-oriented (a forerunner of "Classic Hits" in a lot of ways) and avoided soul, cheezy pop and novelty records. (They ghetto-ized disco by only featuring it during a Sat nite "Dance Party".)  They were asking people to call and fax requests and then refusing to play anything in the categories I just mentioned -- an odd way to run a radio station, IMHO.  A man called up and asked for the Commander Cody hit  -- exactly the sort of "oh wow!" record they should've been sprinkling throughout their playlist -- and the DJ spent 5 minutes ridiculing the guy for making such a stupid request.

VHM the pure-pop of Gallery; BOS6 Shel Silverstein's superb, economical story-songwriting on "Sylvia's Mother".

I've said it before, but if Sammy's "Candy man" had hit 8 or 9 months sooner, the tune would have easily won the Oscar for Best Song. But it wasn't even nominated. Timing is everything.

BOS7 Miss Rubina Flake. One of the most complex and intricate editing jobs ever done on an LP cut to make it a radio-friendly single.

Post-show question: does "Conquistador" count as a Canadian record because it features the Edmondton Symphony Orch?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 01:05:23 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: June 04, 2011, 12:04:40 PM »
VHM Belinda's "Circle in the Sand"; I'd forgotten how good this sounds.  Her later cover of "Summer Rain" was a logical follow-up; I wish it'd done better.

TANC: Swellegant Tim just posted the "Summer Rain" vid on FB and when Gaz called it a "cover" I assumed he was referring to the Johnny Rivers tune. But it's a diff song/same title thing. NTM and it doesn't do much for me.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: June 05, 2011, 09:59:17 AM »
pre-Casey: an upbeat Canadian cover of "Into the Mystic" by Jackson Hawke (who?) that's kinda fun.  (Per Wiki, they're a duo and this tune is from 1976! It's in the vein of the Bellamys' "Let Your Love Flow")

'84 begins: instant WOS Styx's thankfully forgotten "Music Time" at its peak position of #40. BOS1 Dan Hartman's fabulous "I Can Dream About You".

VHM HoJo; ZZT arrive with a future panty hose commercial.  'Fatuate me! VHM Rod the Bod even if he went from "Infatuation" to fatuous.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 10:32:20 AM by RGMike »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: June 05, 2011, 10:11:23 AM »
Wow.  This Styx song is a hot mess.  WOS1

BOS1 "I Can Dream About You".  I can't believe I haven't seen this movie yet.  BOS2 Icicle Works "Whisper To A Scream".  I had no idea this made the Top 40 here.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 10:16:45 AM by sundaygal »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: June 05, 2011, 10:30:05 AM »

Wow.  This Styx song is a hot mess.  WOS1

BOS1 "I Can Dream About You".  I can't believe I haven't seen this movie yet.

It's one of those "Soundtrack: A+ ; Movie: WTF??" situations. Talk about a hot mess.

Wow -- BOS2 Christine McVie's forgotten "Love Will Show Us How". The fact that the Goat had a gazillion solo hits and Ms Perfect only a handful really gets my, er, goat.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 10:36:44 AM by RGMike »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: June 05, 2011, 10:48:35 AM »

Wow.  This Styx song is a hot mess.  WOS1

BOS1 "I Can Dream About You".  I can't believe I haven't seen this movie yet.

It's one of those "Soundtrack: A+ ; Movie: WTF??" situations. Talk about a hot mess.

Wow -- BOS2 Christine McVie's forgotten "Love Will Show Us How". The fact that the Goat had a gazillion solo hits and Ms Perfect only a handful really gets my, er, goat.
I'll give her a VHM.  Lay off Stevie!   ;)