Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1409725 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #3075 on: May 15, 2011, 11:18:11 AM »
Hour 2: I love S&G but their live Everlys cover did not need to be a single.  Surprising VHM to Donnie Iris' "My Girl"; I barely remember it but it's a nice little pop ditty.

"Stars on 45" Three?? THREE?!? uber-WOS, er, 3. Stevie Wonder shoulda sued.

All I wanna do when I wake up in the morning is watch your films, "Rosanna"!

Theme from "Magnum PI" is pleasant Post noodling, but it's no "Hill Street Blues".

BOS2 Ms Rubina Flake, "Making Love" -- good song from an underrated film.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 11:38:30 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: May 15, 2011, 11:23:13 AM »

"Stars on 45" Three?? THREE?!? uber-WOS, er, 3. Stevie Wonder shoulda sued.

Three???  WTF.  

BOS4 Rosanna.  Guilty, as charged!

BOS5 Theme From Magnum P.I., just 'cuz.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 11:36:46 AM by sundaygal »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: May 15, 2011, 11:39:33 AM »
BOS5 Theme From Magnum P.I., just 'cuz.

Duck, Magnum, duck!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: May 15, 2011, 11:45:46 AM »
CDB beat Brooce, Huey Lewis and Paul Hardcastle in the songs-about-'Nam sweepstakes by several years. And I'll actually VHM "Still in Saigon", fairly restrained for Mr Daniels. (I'm guessing someone else wrote it)  ETA: indeed, a guy named Dan Daley.

BOS3 Niecy with her lovely cover of "Gonna Take a Miracle" -- the orig was one of those peaked-at-#41 heartbreakers.

Dan Fogleberg and horsies -- awww.  I'd forgotten the Stones' "Hang Fire" was a Top40 hit. BOS4.  Hey LRB: I had a man on my mind before you guys even had a record deal.

"It's funny how one insect can damage so much grain" -- take THAT John Hinckley! VHM EJ.

A big weekend for OHWs: the late Greg Guidry (no relation to Ron) has his only hit with "Goin' Down", yet another bit of Michael McDonald clonery.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:34:18 PM by RGMike »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: May 15, 2011, 12:22:52 PM »
BOS3 Niecy with her lovely cover of "Gonna Take a Miracle" -- the orig was one of those peaked-at-#41 heartbreakers.

Dan Fogleberg and horsies -- awww.  

Dang, I missed Deniece Williams!  BOS6 anyhoos.  

OK, seriously...no mas Dan Fogelberg.  

BOS7 Don't You Want Me - Human League.  The quintessential non-sucky 80s song.

BOS8 We Got The Beat and Belinda's got coke bloat!

BOS9 Ray Parker Jr.'s in love with The Other Woman - This was before Cheaters, mind you.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 01:14:08 PM by sundaygal »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: May 15, 2011, 12:34:05 PM »
BOS7 Don't You Want Me - Human League.  The quintessential non-sucky 80s song.

Indeed -- BOS5 from me. I'll never forget that it was an "urban" station (WBLS) that broke "DYWM" in NYC.

The disco hotspots hold no charm for you -- and neither does Asia. WOS4.

BOS6 Willie. As much as I complain about the AdultContempo-ization of Top40 radio during this period, "Always on My Mind" probably wouldn't've been a huge hit without that phenomenon.

VHM Go-Gos -- nice tribute to Richard Gotterher; WOS5 that awful Beatles-on-45 thing Gaz mentioned. And Magical Mystery Tour wasn't a movie, it was a TV show. So there.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:53:57 PM by RGMike »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: May 15, 2011, 12:56:23 PM »
BOS7 Don't You Want Me - Human League.  The quintessential non-sucky 80s song.

WOS5 that awful Beatles-on-45 thing Gaz mentioned. And Magical Mystery Tour wasn't a movie, it was a TV show. So there.

Horrors of all horrors. 

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: May 15, 2011, 01:11:13 PM »
Getcha BACK up off da wall! BOS7 Kool & the Gang.  Love won't let H&O wait: they did it in a minute. How embarrassing! VHM anyway. Guess they shoulda grabbed their GIT-tar. BOS8 Ray Parker.

Getting ready to head out -- WOSes-in-absentia to that stank 'ho, Charlene and to Paul Davis' cheezy, not-even-clever nostalgia cash-in "'65 Love Affair". Doo-wop-diddy-wop-diddy-wop-doop? Seriously?

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: May 15, 2011, 01:24:53 PM »
Paul Davis' cheezy, not-even-clever nostalgia cash-in "'65 Love Affair". Doo-wop-diddy-wop-diddy-wop-doop? Seriously?

I remember liking this song when it came out.  I was 10.

WOS(lost count) I've Never Been To Me.  Projectile vomit-inducing lyrics right there!

BOS10 I Love Rock 'N' Roll.  I was obsessed with this song in '82.  Great riffs, too.

BOS11 Ebony & Ivory.  Always reminds me of Diff'rent Strokes.  Whachutalkingabout, Macca?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 01:56:27 PM by sundaygal »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: May 15, 2011, 02:35:29 PM »
This Frankie and the Knockoffs (oh, KnockOUTS...oops...who???) is the quintessential sucky 80s ballad.  WOS2

I'm acquaintance-friends with Franke's current rep.  He had recommended to me a Latin rock band called de Sol that I thought would hit big.  He introduced me to Franke at a Mercury Lounge show - turned out to be a pleasant mincing queen.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: May 15, 2011, 02:40:15 PM »
Roger Voudouris (speaking of botched careeers)

He had more to offer than this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AhkpOf6nSo
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: May 15, 2011, 02:53:15 PM »
This Frankie and the Knockoffs (oh, KnockOUTS...oops...who???) is the quintessential sucky 80s ballad.  WOS2

I'm acquaintance-friends with Franke's current rep.  He had recommended to me a Latin rock band called de Sol that I thought would hit big.  He introduced me to Franke at a Mercury Lounge show - turned out to be a pleasant mincing queen.

PS: IIRC, Franke was managing de Sol.  And he and the rep have been flouting "I've Had the Time of My Life" (which he wrote) ever since Swayze looked at the Reaper from a distance.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: May 15, 2011, 03:10:48 PM »

PS: IIRC, Franke was managing de Sol.  And he and the rep have been flouting "I've Had the Time of My Life" (which he wrote) ever since Swayze looked at the Reaper from a distance.
(Gawd. I botched the whole dang name!)  Franke also wrote Eric Carmen's "Hungry Eyes".  Well, at least he's consistent!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: May 15, 2011, 03:42:45 PM »
"I'm Kamel Kasem": Nice to hear Casey out himself, so to speak, in a rundown of artists who perform under noms des disques.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: May 15, 2011, 04:33:33 PM »
Listening to "Lost 45s" on WODS (Boston) and wondering how sophisticated the commercials on radio station streams are -- like, do they know *where* you're listening and play a commercial targeted to you?  Just heard a commercial for Kaiser -- even tho' Kaiser doesn't operate in the Northeast. Odd.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 04:35:04 PM by RGMike »