Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1409921 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #3060 on: May 09, 2011, 07:55:23 AM »
Murray Head gets his kicks above his waistline, sunshine with One Night In Bangkok.  Does anyone remember the version by Robey?

OMG -- Yes!!  Hadn't thought of it in 25 years. But have you ever heard Otis Liggitt's version of "Every Breath You Take"?

Just gave it a listen via YouTube for the first time.  Sounds like a cross between Swing Out Sister and Stevie Wonder!

Glad to hear it's on YT -- I looked for it a couple years ago and it wasn't there. And the Stevie W observation is dead-on; at the time (it was released while the Police's version was still charting) there was a rumor it actually *was* Stevie under an assumed name. But no. It's really a fab cover, IMHO -- got tons of "urban" airplay in NYC. I still have the 12". And I'm startled to discover he was actually white!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYGam2kqihU

You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: May 09, 2011, 11:54:35 AM »
This week, that '70s Casey is from May 19th 1979 (presumably the last 3 hrs of a 4-hr show):

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/05-19-79.pdf

and Casey's '80s is from May 16th 1982:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/05-16-82.pdf

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: May 12, 2011, 04:53:27 PM »

Casey's '80s is from May 16th 1982:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/05-16-82.pdf

Not peeking...not peeking...Ooo, Crimson And Clover...and the Theme From Magnum P.I. (LOL)...

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: May 13, 2011, 09:14:27 PM »
This week, that '70s Casey is from May 19th 1979 (presumably the last 3 hrs of a 4-hr show):

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/05-19-79.pdf

and sadly, that missing first hour has the interesting rarities: Nigel Olsson's forgotten cover of "A Little Bit of Soap"; Thelma Houston's wonderful "Sat Nite/Sun Morning"; George's "Blow Away"; Alton McClain & Destiny doing "It Must Be Love"; Barbara Mandrell covering Luther Ingram (!); personal fave Frank Mills' "Music Box Dancer" and McGuinn/Clark/Hillman's "Don't Write Her Off", which I don't think I've ever heard.  (of these, I suspect Mr Mills' hit will be heard as an extra)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: May 14, 2011, 06:36:36 AM »
and sadly, that missing first hour has the interesting rarities: Nigel Olsson's forgotten cover of "A Little Bit of Soap"; Thelma Houston's wonderful "Sat Nite/Sun Morning"; George's "Blow Away"; Alton McClain & Destiny doing "It Must Be Love"; Barbara Mandrell covering Luther Ingram (!); personal fave Frank Mills' "Music Box Dancer" and McGuinn/Clark/Hillman's "Don't Write Her Off", which I don't think I've ever heard.  (of these, I suspect Mr Mills' hit will be heard as an extra)
Yep, would be nice to hear #40-33. Here's that semi-Byrds reunion w/'Don't You Write Her Off'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziaoLnh_1X8
and the show's chart: http://www.oldradioshows.com/at40/051979.html

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: May 14, 2011, 10:02:36 AM »
He's a Pepper! We're a Pepper! VHM the cheeze-for-breakfast of David Naughton's OHW "Makin' It". He never did, tho' -- talk about a botched career.

Say WHAAAAT? VHM Instant Funk's OHW, "Got Mah Mind Made Up".

Tom Cruise Bob Seger takes his old records off da shelf; Roger Voudouris (speaking of botched careeers) does his OHW "Get Used To It".

Rod the Bod says "Ain't Love a Bitch" -- he's been married to a few, I guess. And another OHW: Tycoon get a WOS for the abysmal "Such a Woman".

BOS BJ's lovely, forgotten "Honesty"; BOS2 Rex Smith with a guilty pleasure and one I bet Barry Manilow would've killed for (and it's another OHW, solo-wise, tho' Smith would hit with a Rachel Sweet duet 2 years later)

WOS2 Foxy's "Hot Number", the follow-up to the equally dreadful "Get Off".

Kenny Rogers gets sappy; Rickie Lee Jones abhors Chuck E's sappiness (and she'd've been our *sixth* OHW this hour but for a week in the Top 40 with "Young Blood")

I'll be listening in the car for the next hour or so, but this has been quite a chartful of obscurities so far.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 10:44:21 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: May 14, 2011, 12:07:51 PM »
I'll be listening in the car for the next hour or so, but this has been quite a chartful of obscurities so far.

And Hour 2 was not nearly so much fun, but BOS3 Orleans' unjustly forgotten "Love Takes Time", a fine little pop single.

Holy shit! ED&JFC beat Men At Work to the title Dr Heckle & Mr Jive by 3 years!!  BOS4 their very nice (and quite unexpected at the time) Todd/Utopia cover.

the Sistahs Sledge have 2 hits in the Top 15: VHM "He's the Greatest Dansah" -- there's gotta be a My 3 Songs of tunes that rhyme "disco" and "Frisco". (Hold the Crisco!)  But seriously: "he looks like a still"?? who talks like that??

BOS5 Cher's fab Donna Summer ripoff, "Take Me Home"

BOS6 the BeeGees' last #1, "Love You Inside Out" -- this and the Cher are tunes I'm determined to get AL to play. And BOS7 Macca at his most goofily enjoyable with "Goodnight Tonight".

VHM the Village peeps, looking for new semen.

Oddity of the day: this "extra" by Livingston "listen to me! I sound just like my brother!" Taylor. I don't remember "I Will Be In Love With You" at all, but apparently it was a #30 hit in '78.

BOS8 Peaches & Herb's creamy-dreamy "Reunited". I still remember being gobsmacked when this was voted Best Single in the 1979 Village Voice Pazz'N'Jop Poll.

OK, I know Canadian stations have to play x% of homegrown acts, but I've been listening to this station for 3-1/2 hours and I'm hearing the Guess Who for, like the FIFTH time today.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 01:05:55 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: May 14, 2011, 01:17:51 PM »
Make me wanna grab mah guitar!  '82 BOS goes to Ray Parker Jr.'s "The Other Woman."

WOS to the Beatles Movie Medley.  It was NTM and I was appalled.  One of the clumsiest things ever.  I'm sure it was a post-Stars on 45 cash-in, but whose idea was it?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: May 14, 2011, 01:21:43 PM »
Yep, would be nice to hear #40-33. Here's that semi-Byrds reunion w/'Don't You Write Her Off'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziaoLnh_1X8
and the show's chart: http://www.oldradioshows.com/at40/051979.html

Wow - Roger McGuinn was rather fetching during this period!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: May 14, 2011, 01:24:17 PM »
Tweedle-eedle-eet: Is there an '82 countdown that DOESN'T have "Centerfold" and/or "Freeze-Frame"?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: May 14, 2011, 01:32:41 PM »
Charlene's been undressed by kings.  Plural.  Think about that for a sec.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: May 14, 2011, 05:43:37 PM »

WOS to the Beatles Movie Medley.  It was NTM and I was appalled.  One of the clumsiest things ever.  I'm sure it was a post-Stars on 45 cash-in, but whose idea was it?

Some suit at Capitol, presumably -- probably the same guy who put together the "Beach Boys Medley" the year before. And I completely agree: horrendous.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: May 15, 2011, 09:54:07 AM »
Charlene's been undressed by kings.  Plural.  Think about that for a sec.

Bitch is just a straight-up 'ho, yo.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: May 15, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
Usually Casey's recap of the prev week bores me, but glad to get to hear "Chariots of Fire". I remember seeing the movie at a theater in Queens and loving the music, and walking around the corner to a record store and being amazed to find the single. (this was before it started to get any airplay)  I said "this is going to be HUGE" and my friends all laughed -- a cheezy instrumental? No way!

WOS Genesis; VHM Atlantic Starr's "Circles"; WOS2 Loverboy -- comes to you as no surprise, indeed.

I'll always love Huey's "Do You Believe in Love", Diet Dr Pepper commercials notwithstanding. BOS1.

I'll take "forgotten follow-ups to big hits" for $400, Alex: Sheena's "When He Shines" doesn't ("sometimes a tramp, sometimes a duuude"??); coulda done without Frankie & the Knockouts' "Without You". And talk about forgotten! Queen's "Body Language" got to #11 -- 18 points higher than "Under Pressure" managed to do -- yet which one is a classic rock mainstay?  And here's John Denver's last Top40 appearance: "Shanghai Breezes", which is quite sweet. VHM.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 10:48:54 AM by RGMike »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: May 15, 2011, 10:23:40 AM »
Atlantic Starr reminds me of high school slow dances.  "Circles" is NTM & VHM.

Loverboy.  Oh, the humanity!  

BOS1 The Dazz Band - Let It Whip.  Whatever tickles your pickle!

BOS2 Huey Lewis & The News - Do You Believe In Love.  Just reminds me of being a kid in the Bay Area.  Woolworth's on Powell, the arcade at Pier 39, Emporium's, KFRC, etc....

This Frankie and the Knockoffs (oh, KnockOUTS...oops...who???) is the quintessential sucky 80s ballad.  WOS2

I swear I could listen to Joanie Jett's cover of Crimson and Clover ovah and ovah.  BOS3
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 11:07:10 AM by sundaygal »