Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1409789 times)

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #3015 on: April 19, 2011, 02:07:02 PM »
Next week's shows (4/23-24):

The 70's

April 23, 1977 - http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/04-23-77.pdf

The 80's

April 23, 1983 - http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/04-24-83.pdf
DeBarge, Duran Duran AND Frida?  Can I get a hell yeah?

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: April 19, 2011, 02:16:34 PM »
Next week's shows (4/23-24):

The 70's

April 23, 1977 - http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/04-23-77.pdf

The 80's

April 23, 1983 - http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/04-24-83.pdf
DeBarge, Duran Duran AND Frida?  Can I get a hell yeah?

ooo... ooo.. and I like it!  Plus Stephen Bishop's Tootsie tune and Al Jarreau singing to his Cheerios!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: April 19, 2011, 02:27:04 PM »
...and then there's Journey.  You can run, but you can't hide, RG!   ;)

I had no idea I Know There's Something Going On made it to the top 20.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: April 19, 2011, 02:31:14 PM »
...and then there's Journey.  You can run, but you can't hide, RG!   ;)

it really does seem like they've been in EVERY '80s chart we've heard this year so far.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: April 23, 2011, 09:52:12 AM »
The Canuck stream ain't connecting today. Looks like it'll be 1550 AM in glorious mono...

Joe Tex gets an instant BOS1; Stallion get a VHM for their forgotten "Old-Fashioned Boy".

Kenny Nowwan keeps on dweamin'

TANC: Tavares name-checks Ellery Queen. If he's so keen, maybe he can figure out why this fab 45 wasn't a bigger hit. BOS2.

Another mystery: Casey appears to be playing the instrumental B-side of "Got To Give it Up". And OMG it's Shalamar's Motown medley, "Uptown Festival". Still a weird oddity (4 years before Stars on 45) but the guy imitating Smokey is pretty good.  From disco to country: proxy of shray to MTB's "Heard it in a Love Song".

VHM Whinyface's Barbara Lewis cover. If Facts of Life's "Sometimes" has a country feel to it... it's because it was a #1 C&W hit the previous year by Bill Anderson and some woman or other.  BOS3 Morey fave "Dancin' Man" by Q. Always thought this was great southern-fried white soul, until I found out Q were from Pennsylvania. Gotta git up, git da git-down feelin'!

Always a lonely BOS for "Lonely Boy" -- I'm one of the minority who doesn't consider it a HFH, apparently.  And Foreigner are in the Top 40 for... you guessed it... "...the First Time".  BOS5 "Lucille", a small masterpiece of economical country story-songwriting.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 10:47:19 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: April 23, 2011, 10:59:50 AM »
Disco heaven in Hour2: VHM Andrea True's *other* hit, "NY NY You Got Me Dancin'", appropriately enuf.  Followed by the sheer infectious goofiness of "Disco Lucy". VHM because I still have the 45.

BOS6 Hot's wonderful "Angel In Your Arms"; it would become a country hit later for Barbara Mandrell. WOS Macca's unnecessary live version of "Maybe I'm Amazed" -- had the orig studio version been a single in 1970, it would've been a surefire #1. 7 years later... meh.

VHM Kiss -- I'm guessing they spent a lot of time at the doctor for love-related ailments. ;)  BOS7 Rod the Mod's lovely version of "First Cut..."

WOS2 Kansas -- nothing equals suspenders!  BOS8 Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis too at their Marvin'n'Tammi-est with the unfairly forgotten "Your Love".

The rest of this hour combines the overplayed (Stevie W, KC, ABBA) with the never-needs-to-be-played (Capt & Tenille's "Can't Stop Dancin").

Hour3: BOS9 RoseRoyce/Norman Whitfield's lovely hommage to "Just My Imagination", "I Wanna Get Next To You".  VHM William Bell "Tryin to love 2" -- good luck with that.  VHM Jennifer Warnes doing the best Linda Ronstadt imitation evah -- but with less screaming than Ms. R. Props to Peter McCann for writing the tune.

Ms. Cole's got love on her mind. And coke up her nose.

Final BOS: Birthday boy (yesterday) Glen Campbell, doin' right by Allen Toussaint on "Southern Nights". "just as good even when closed your eyes"
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 12:52:38 PM by RGMike »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: April 23, 2011, 12:45:52 PM »

Ms. Cole's got love on her mind. And coke up her nose.

Er...who didn't in '77?

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: April 23, 2011, 08:20:55 PM »
Hey '80s kids -- I was unaware that Nina Blackwood hosts a syndicated '80s show called New Wave Nation. Like, OMIGAWD!:

http://usrn.com/shows/?mode=All&Program=7&fmt=FmtRock

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: April 23, 2011, 11:38:02 PM »
If Facts of Life's "Sometimes" has a country feel to it... it's because it was a #1 C&W hit the previous year by Bill Anderson and some woman or other. 

TANC: JJ just played this on his Sat nite '70s party... turns out Facts of Life were a Millie Jackson creation! Not really surprising, considering Ms. J's penchant for doing soulful covers of country and rock hits.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: April 24, 2011, 09:29:07 AM »
Canadian stream still not working -- this station (Sioux Falls, SD) starts the show at 11am our time -- they're all '80s all the time, apparently:

http://radio.securenetsystems.net/radio_player_large.cfm?stationCallSign=KZOY

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: April 24, 2011, 09:38:33 AM »
Canadian stream still not working -- this station (Sioux Falls, SD) starts the show at 11am our time -- they're all '80s all the time, apparently:

Is it on KFRC by chance?

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: April 24, 2011, 09:47:14 AM »

Is it on KFRC by chance?

Sadly, no. they only do the '70s version. I'm hoping the "new" Oldies 103.7 will snatch Casey away from KFRC and run both versions.  The Dakota station is playing "Major Tom" at the moment, tho'.

What's your reputaion?
(Ectasy!)
What's your destinaton?
(Next to me!)

ABC's "Be Near Me" was a nice treat just now. As is the neglected '80s soul of Levert's "Casanova". Generally speaking, tho', this "Amazing '80s" show with the obnoxious MG Kelly is a pretty lame, Kantrina-laden affair.  And he's about to do a salute to 1983 -- bet we hear at least 3 songs that Casey will play on his show.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 11:06:11 AM by RGMike »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: April 24, 2011, 11:09:38 AM »

Is it on KFRC by chance?

Levert's "Casanova"

I love this song.  I watched The Pick-Up Artist with Robert Downey, Jr. and Molly Ringwald not too long ago and this song was featured prominently throughout the movie, along with The Beastie Boys "She's Crafty". 

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: April 24, 2011, 11:12:08 AM »
Casey Hour1: yay Naked Eyes, one of the most ingenious covers ever. BOS1.

Hey, ladies! Rick Springfield is looking to have an "Affair"!  Maybe the stranger in Ronnie Milsap's house can help.  Wait... they have New York Pizza in South Dakota??

Morning, little Cheerios! Al Jarreau's an Oreo!  VHM "Mornin' "

San Jose in da house! Original Doobie Patrick Simmons goes solo with the not-very-interesting "So Wrong".

Swoon! uber-BOS2 DeBarge's "I Like It" -- this was just before they appeared on the "Motown 25" special.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 11:36:18 AM by RGMike »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: April 24, 2011, 11:36:40 AM »
Oooh...I like this DeBarge tune.  BOS.  I'll also BOS Naked Eyes doin' Burt and pre-Moonlighting Al Jarreau.  

BOS4 Bryan Adam's Straight From The Heart.  Well, we all have our guilty pleasures, don't we?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 11:47:11 AM by sundaygal »