Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1409861 times)

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #3000 on: April 17, 2011, 12:29:57 PM »
Whoa.  This long distance dedication is both sad and creepy at once.  Did she say she was 16?  Well, it is Nebraska!  The Theme to Romeo and Juliet to boot!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: April 17, 2011, 12:41:59 PM »
VHM Jimmy Ruffin's comeback "Hold On to My Love."  He seems ill at ease with that Gibb-penned melody on the first verse, but he comes alive in the refrain.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: April 17, 2011, 12:43:26 PM »
Felix Cavaliere comeback attempt is a tad underwhelming -- way too Cristopher Crossy.

It was NTM and musically seemed akin to Steely Dan's "Gaucho" in the verses.  ("Gaucho"'s subject matter would be taken up later in the countdown by Rupert, with what could have been an answer record to "Torn Between Two Lovers.")

A second helping of Linda shouting!

Glad you arrived in time for Charlie Dore!

I've been listening all along, while cleaning, doing dishes, etc.  We had company well into the night, college-party style.  Watched Are You Being Served: The Movie.
I've got to put that movie on my list!  Watched Ladies and Gentlemen: The Fabulous Stains last night featuring a young and punky Diane Lane (also co-stars Laura Dern, Fee Waybill, Paul Simonon, Paul Cook, Steve Jones and E.G. (If You Want My Love, Say It, Say It) Daily.)  Highly recommend it!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 12:48:49 PM by sundaygal »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: April 17, 2011, 12:44:14 PM »
Dr. John Hook alert!  This story is a WTF, btw.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: April 17, 2011, 12:44:59 PM »
VHM Jimmy Ruffin's comeback "Hold On to My Love."  He seems ill at ease with that Gibb-penned melody on the first verse, but he comes alive in the refrain.

BOS7 from me; love the production.  And WOS Dr Hook's painfully transparent Bee-Gees ripoff, "She's More Than a Woman With Sexy Eyes"

As I head out, there's nothing in Hour4 I really feel bad about missing.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 12:47:47 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: April 17, 2011, 12:49:53 PM »

BOS7 from me; love the production.  And WOS Dr Hook's painfully transparent Bee-Gees ripoff, "She's More Than a Woman With Sexy Eyes"

Just don't leave the cake out in the rain...

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: April 17, 2011, 12:56:47 PM »

I hope you stuck around for this AT40 extra: a Pat Benatar obscurity, "We Live for Love."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: April 17, 2011, 12:58:27 PM »

I hope you stuck around for this AT40 extra: a Pat Benatar obscurity, "We Live for Love."
Enjoyed that one.  Who didn't want to be Pat Benetar in the early 80s?

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: April 17, 2011, 01:03:09 PM »
  Who didn't want to be Pat Benetar in the early 80s?

all the black gay guys who wanted to be Donna Summer.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: April 17, 2011, 01:07:20 PM »
  Who didn't want to be Pat Benetar in the early 80s?

all the black gay guys who wanted to be Donna Summer.
Well, toot toot, ahhh, beep beep to that!  ;)

SFGuy

« Reply #3010 on: April 17, 2011, 06:09:03 PM »
Felix Cavaliere comeback attempt is a tad underwhelming -- way too Cristopher Crossy.

It was NTM and musically seemed akin to Steely Dan's "Gaucho" in the verses.  ("Gaucho"'s subject matter would be taken up later in the countdown by Rupert, with what could have been an answer record to "Torn Between Two Lovers.")

I've been listening all along, while cleaning, doing dishes, etc.  We had company well into the night, college-party style.  Watched Are You Being Served: The Movie.

Speaking of Are You Being Served, the actor who played Mr. Lucas, Trevor Bannister, passed away on Thursday at the age of 76.

SFGuy

« Reply #3011 on: April 17, 2011, 06:13:25 PM »
Next week's shows (4/23-24):

The 70's

April 23, 1977 - http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/04-23-77.pdf

The 80's

April 23, 1983 - http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/04-24-83.pdf

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: April 17, 2011, 06:41:58 PM »

It was NTM and musically seemed akin to Steely Dan's "Gaucho" in the verses.  ("Gaucho"'s subject matter would be taken up later in the countdown by Rupert, with what could have been an answer record to "Torn Between Two Lovers.")

I've been listening all along, while cleaning, doing dishes, etc.  We had company well into the night, college-party style.  Watched Are You Being Served: The Movie.

Speaking of Are You Being Served, the actor who played Mr. Lucas, Trevor Bannister, passed away on Thursday at the age of 76.

Oh no!  Mollie Sugden just died last year - I hope some of the cast is left!

SFGuy

« Reply #3013 on: April 17, 2011, 06:46:52 PM »

Oh no!  Mollie Sugden just died last year - I hope some of the cast is left!

Frank Thornton (interviewed for the obit for the bbc website) and Nicolas Smith are still alive.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: April 18, 2011, 08:37:40 AM »
Next week's shows (4/23-24):

The 70's

April 23, 1977 - http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/04-23-77.pdf

yay: Joe Tex, Tavares, Hot, "Disco Lucy", McCoo & Davis' *other* hit... looking forward to this one.