Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1409857 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #2985 on: April 17, 2011, 10:52:26 AM »
Cliff Richards' "Carrie" is kind of interesting -- oops, another sax solo!

TANC: this Canuck station played "Roxy Roller" earlier, by Sweeney Todd, whose lead singer was Nick Gilder... and here he is as an extra, one of the #1s of the '70s with "Hot Child/City"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: April 17, 2011, 11:10:58 AM »
Wow, nothing in Hour1 struck me as either BOS- or WOS-worthy. But I'll VHM sweet Melissa's lovely "Fire in the Morning" -- all adult contempo should be this classy. Sax = Sex!

OK, Andy Gibb THREE TIMES in a hour is just overkill, even if his duet with ONJ is passably enjoyable.

Finally a BOS: early Shalamar, "Second Time Around". Followed by BOS2, Boz, breakin' it down.

Chrissie's Detroit-leanin', with a new skank. Er, wha?  Meanwhile the Brothers show us they Johnson. VHM.

uber-BOS3 Utopia with their only Top40 hit, "Set Me Free", really standing out here this morning.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 11:41:04 AM by RGMike »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: April 17, 2011, 11:17:18 AM »
Ah...finally!  BOS to The Second Time Around - Shalimar.  I've requested this a few times on AL's page.  I have a feeling KFOG doesn't have this in their library.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: April 17, 2011, 11:30:06 AM »
Even though I've heard Brass In Pocket a zillion times, it sounds amazingly refreshing in this sea of soft rock.  BOS2.

BOS3 The Brothers Johnson's Stomp.  I remember this getting tons of airplay back in the day.  An early ghetto blaster-on-the-shoulder-while-roller skating-type of jam.  Haaaaay.....

Oof.  I smell a WOS from RG with this Journey song.  He don't want it anyway, anyhow.

BOS4 Gary Numan feeling safe and cozy in his car.  Sounding so futuristic compared to Dan Fogelberg.

Gawd.  WOS to Anne Murray.  I'd rather listen to Anyway You Want It on a loop than You Needed Me again.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 11:56:03 AM by sundaygal »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: April 17, 2011, 11:36:33 AM »
Wow, nothing in Hour1 struck me as either BOS- or WOS-worthy. But I'll VHM sweet Melissa's lovely "Fire in the Morning" -- all adult contempo should be this classy. Sax = Sex!

Chrissie's Detroit-leanin', with a new skank. Er, wha?
No visa, either...wha???   ;)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: April 17, 2011, 11:48:29 AM »

Oof.  I smell a WOS from RG with this Journey song.  He don't want it anyway, anyhow.

indeed. and Crapton asked Schon to join Cream when he was 15? WTF?

proxy of cairo, Ambrosia, bragging about their biggest part. Showoff!

damn the '70s-retro "extras" are putting this 1980 chart to shame. Ms Murray's "You Needed Me" is sublime -- Randy Goodrum's lyric is just masterful. (Shockingly, he also wrote the dreaded "Oh Sherrie")
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 11:58:33 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: April 17, 2011, 12:04:23 PM »
Hour3 kicks off with Ms Ronstadt's fine Little Anthony cover, "Hurts So Bad" -- prepare for screaming, but really GOOD screaming. BOS4.  We get to hear Linda twice this hour!

And Rupert Holmes 2 days in a row. VH(i)M.  And another VHM Peaches & Herb's forgotten, pleasingly retro "I Pledge My Love".

BOS5 the Whispers; VHM Ronstadt2.

BOS6 and proxy of Gaz, Charlie Dore, "Pilot of the Airwaves"
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 12:23:56 PM by RGMike »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: April 17, 2011, 12:14:47 PM »
BOS5 Peaches and Herb.  Nice to hear something other than Reunited (which I also love).  Love the 50s vibe on this one.

That Rupert Holmes song sounded like it belonged on the Love Boat soundtrack.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: April 17, 2011, 12:18:11 PM »
BOS5 Peaches and Herb.  Nice to hear something other than Reunited (which I also love).  Love the 50s vibe on this one.

That Rupert Holmes song sounded like it belonged on the Love Boat soundtrack.

There have been a LOT of NTMs in this set, most of which I've really enjoyed, especially those Peaches & Herb harmonies.  In agreement with above assessments, as usual.  BOS to "Stomp" cuz it got my butt wiggling.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: April 17, 2011, 12:23:11 PM »
Felix Cavaliere comeback attempt is a tad underwhelming -- way too Cristopher Crossy.

It was NTM and musically seemed akin to Steely Dan's "Gaucho" in the verses.  ("Gaucho"'s subject matter would be taken up later in the countdown by Rupert, with what could have been an answer record to "Torn Between Two Lovers.")

A second helping of Linda shouting!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: April 17, 2011, 12:25:09 PM »
Cheesy sax solo alert!  Definitely not groovin' on this track.

more to come on this chart, I'm afraid.

This Paul Davis thing is another forgotten 45 -- and one of the more overtly Christian hits to ever hit the Top 40. Praise Jeebus!
Seriously.  Was anyone under 35 buying records in 1980??

I don't fathom how the Buzzcocks never hit the 40.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: April 17, 2011, 12:25:17 PM »
Felix Cavaliere comeback attempt is a tad underwhelming -- way too Cristopher Crossy.

It was NTM and musically seemed akin to Steely Dan's "Gaucho" in the verses.  ("Gaucho"'s subject matter would be taken up later in the countdown by Rupert, with what could have been an answer record to "Torn Between Two Lovers.")

Glad you arrived in time for Charlie Dore!

OMFG: Henry Mancini as a LDD!

AAACK: Kenny 'n' Kim!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 12:32:03 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: April 17, 2011, 12:25:31 PM »
BOS2 Charlie Dore, a DJ favorite and a Gaz favorite too.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: April 17, 2011, 12:26:28 PM »

Glad you arrived in time for Charlie Dore!

I've been listening all along, while cleaning, doing dishes, etc.  We had company well into the night, college-party style.  Watched Are You Being Served: The Movie.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: April 17, 2011, 12:29:13 PM »
20-year age difference?  Watch out, Johnnie!