Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1409849 times)

SFGuy

Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #2940 on: March 27, 2011, 07:05:23 PM »
You lie, Mr O'Dowd: you can sell a contradiction better than anyone I know. VHM.

He wasn't out of the closet yet. What is he suppose to say "The song was about my relationship with Jon Moss"?

SFGuy

« Reply #2941 on: March 27, 2011, 08:03:57 PM »
The beginning of the last hour (right before Christine McVie's "Got a Hold on Me") Casey said "I would like to welcome one new radio station to the American Top 40 family. It's KITS in San Francisco." I didn't listen to AT40 after KCBS-FM turned to "The Rocker" KRQR (1982ish). I didn't know it moved to K101 and then to KITS.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: March 30, 2011, 12:32:38 PM »
No April Fool --This week That 70's Casey is from April 1st 1972:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/04-01-72.pdf

Gaz fave "King Heroin" and so much more.

and Casey's '80s is from April 5th 1986:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/04-05-86.pdf

Gaz might also be interested to know the AT40-geek board has a new thread called "Songs You Discovered Because of AT40"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: March 30, 2011, 01:27:34 PM »

I just snuck a peek and saw Beat's So Lonely at #17.  What a dreamboat Charlie Sexton was/is.   ;)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: March 30, 2011, 10:31:35 PM »
No April Fool --This week That 70's Casey is from April 1st 1972:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/04-01-72.pdf

Gaz fave "King Heroin" and so much more.

Gaz might also be interested to know the AT40-geek board has a new thread called "Songs You Discovered Because of AT40"

Hm, that '72 set is about my time of conception.

As for Songs I Discovered Because of AT40 - um, like, a third of them!

PS: I agree on young Sexton's dreaminess.

He hasn't aged so prettily, though.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: April 02, 2011, 10:09:32 AM »
Memo to James Brown: if you're having conversations with packets of heroin... you're probably smokin' too much weed.

"Be you Italian, Jewish
Black or Mex
I can make the most virile of men
Fo'get they sex"

Latino twin-spin: War slips into Santana.

VHM David Cassidy's forgotten "Could it Be Forever?" Any one of a half-dozen current country hunks could have a hit with this. And another VHM 3DN's "Family of Man" -- doo-doot-doo, doo-doot-doo

Casey just called Van Gogh a "French impressionist" -- er, he was Dutch, no?  BOS Don McLean's "Vincent", one of the ballsier follow-ups to a #1 single I can recall.

VHM the GrassRoots' "Glory Bound", which would make a nice three-fer with the Rascals' "Glory Glory" and The Byrds' "Glory Glory" (diff tunes, same title). BOS2 Richard & Karen, "Hurting Each Other" (hopefully not literally).

"Never. No. No. Yeah!"  Make up yer mind, Jorge. VHM "Suavecito". BOS3 Isaac Hayes' "Do Your Thing". Groove ON!

Can it really be a year since we had that stretch of hearing Bobby Vinton on 4 diff AT40s in a row? His "Every Day of My Life" sounds like it was recorded in '62 and locked in a vault for 10 years.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 10:45:26 AM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: April 02, 2011, 10:35:15 AM »
Memo to James Brown: if you're having conversations with packets of heroin... you're probably smokin' too much weed.

"Be you Italian, Jewish
Black or Mex
I can make the most virile of men
Fo'get they sex"

Latino twin-spin: War slips into Santana.

VHM David Cassidy's forgotten "Could it Be Forever?" Any one of a half-dozen current country hunks could have a hit with this. And another VHM 3DN's "Family of Man" -- doo-doot-doo, doo-doot-doo!

Casey just called Van Gogh a "French impressionist" -- er, he was Dutch, no?  BOS Don McLean's "Vincent", one of the ballsier follow-ups to a #1 single I can recall.

VHM the GrassRoots' "Glory Bound", which would make a nicer three-fer with the Rascals' "Glory Glory" and The Byrds' "Glory Glory" (diff tunes, same title).

Maybe it's my crappy stream, but  the Grass Roots sounded a lot like The Guess Who.

I watched Lust for Life a couple weeks ago, where Kirk Douglass portrays Vincent Van Gogh.  It's fantastic if you've never seen it.  Some ham-boney acting by Kirk when he must convey "madness" but may think he deserved the Oscar over Yul Brynner's crowd-pleasing and safe King And I. 

I recall the DVD extra commentary said that post-WWII United States was really ripe for this treatment and  the subject of such a renegade like Van Gogh b/c the overall mood of the country was rather conformist.  We also got the Beat movement (...and eventually those dirty hippies showed up, took their sandals off and put their feet on the furniture, but I think something happened in Vietnam to help that along).

« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 10:41:17 AM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: April 02, 2011, 10:45:12 AM »
BOS to the Temptations' Take A Look Around.    I don't really know this one, it's great!

Bobby Vinton, such a nice boy.  I imagine Polish grandmas from Pennsylvania just swooning over this, and giving thanks that the music they loved 18 years before was still popular.  Not like this new stuff with guitars!

another BOS to Sly & His Family Stones! Runnin' Away. Sounds like Chuck Mangione on flugelhorn.

ha HA, ha ha.... hee HEE, hee hee!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 10:49:16 AM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: April 02, 2011, 10:55:04 AM »

Bobby Vinton, such a nice boy.  I imagine Polish grandmas from Pennsylvania just swooning over this, and giving thanks that the music they loved 18 years before was still popular.  Not like this new stuff with guitars!

Ha! I'll give this a semi-jinx.  Those grandmas must've freaked over the lyrics to "We've Got to Get It On Again". And "Jungle Fever" is coming up later! VHM the Addrisis.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: April 02, 2011, 11:03:41 AM »
This Canuck extra, "Tonite is a Wonderful Time (To Fall in Love)" by April Wine is NTM -- damn, they must've been huge in their native land.

ooo! VHM Dennis Coffey's *other* zodiac-themed instrumental hit, "Taurus". Too bad this LP is long out-of-print.

"y'know, men are full o' schemes..."  BOS4 Honey Cone's last Top40 appearance, despite some fine subsequent singles. VHM The Ice Man and the Eager young Brenda.

uber-BOS5 Macca's banned-by-the-BBC "Give Ireland Back to the Irish". Another ballsy choice for a 45. And though it leaped from 38 to 23 on this chart, it would peak at 21 and plummet like a rock.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 11:22:37 AM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: April 02, 2011, 11:09:55 AM »
This Canuck extra, "Tonite is a Wonderful Time (To Fall in Love)" by April Wine is NTM -- damn, they must've been huge in their native land.

I always liked is voice.  Just another in a long series of excellent Canadian vocalists.  (Today's Tom Sawyer, he gets high on YOU, eh?)

VHM to JJ Cale and his Crazee Momma.  Of course, based on how he's singing here, anyone with a pulse above 60 seems OUT OF CONTROL!
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: April 02, 2011, 11:36:45 AM »
Someone on the AT40 geek board (heh -- like we're not geeks!) pointed out this is the 3rd time this year that Casey's told the Aretha roller-skates story in different shows.

WOS Merrill Osmond screaming his Mormon lungs out on "Down By the Lazy River".

DUUUUDE! it's a prog 45 edit of "Roundabout"! Jon, if you wanna get in and out my valley, you gotta buy me dinner first. I always forget that this got as high as #13. 

Sonny rides Cher. I'll *bet* his work was never done, har har.

BOS6 BJ Thomas' gorgeous "R'n'R Lullabye".
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 11:45:26 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: April 02, 2011, 12:02:06 PM »
Hour 3 begins with BOS7: Cher's fantabulous "Way of Love", followed by BOS8, David Gates ode to his dad, "Everything I Own", later covered in a reggae stylee by both Ken Boothe and Boy George.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: April 02, 2011, 12:10:05 PM »

DUUUUDE! it's a prog 45 edit of "Roundabout"! Jon, if you wanna get in and out my valley, you gotta buy me dinner first. I always forget that this got as high as #13. 

heh, I think the Wondermints have a song called In And Around Greg Lake...

another BOS to Roberta Flack.

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face ... was right after I checked out your package.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 12:23:00 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: April 02, 2011, 12:25:03 PM »

another BOS to Roberta Flack.

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face.. was right after I checked out your package.

Like, my eyes are up HERE! Don't get all "Jungle Fever"y on me. Ay-yi-yi!

WOS2 Robert John with one of the least-necessary cover versions EVAH. VHM Mr Simon, ordering one from Column A, two from Column B. Hope there's no "Puppy" on the menu, sez Donny Osmond. VHM a remake I prefer -- Anka's histrionics on the orig are unbearable.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 12:45:02 PM by RGMike »