Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1409778 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #2880 on: February 22, 2011, 10:51:59 PM »
This week That '70s Casey is from Feb 27th 1971:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/02-27-71.pdf

And Casey's '80s is from Feb 27th 1988:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/02-27-88.pdf

Mike, technically the show date is Feb 20th, 1971.

And Gaz will be happy to know this is one of those 3-versions-of-"Love Story" charts, and we also get "Jody Got Yo' Girl and Gone", which more than offsets the appearance of the execrable "D.O.A" by Bloodrock.

Happy I am indeed.  Early BOS to that Johnnie Taylor song.  And I'm perversely curious to hear if Casey has anything to say about that morbid piece of hell "D.O.A."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: February 26, 2011, 09:48:31 AM »
wow, before Casey, our Canadian friends are playing a song by Strange Advance that *isn't* "Worlds Away" -- "We Run", presumably a hit north of the border.

Just 7 numbers can straighten out Levi's life. Mega-Millions is a bitch. VHM the 4 Tops.

Ms. McCoo fries just one egg, and makes Mick LaSalle's head explode.

WOS, naturally, to Bloodrock's horrid plane-crash saga.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:12:24 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: February 26, 2011, 10:06:41 AM »
HM Four Tops.  Seven numbers could straighten out my life too - if there were a dollar sign in front of them.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: February 26, 2011, 10:15:28 AM »
HM Four Tops.  Seven numbers could straighten out my life too - if there were a dollar sign in front of them.

semi-jinx!

BOS "Miss" Jackie Moore -- why, did someone think she was a dude? "you been dealin' in dirt -- just WALLOWIN' in dirt, yes yah have!"

Mr Williams croons our first of 3 "Love Story"s, which means I never have to say I'm sorry. Or something. 

More movie music: "Burning Bridges", from Kelly's Heroes. Too bad Mike Curb was such an asswipe.

Hey, how 'bout a lay, er, a Lai? Frances arrives with "Love Story" #2. And Bobby Sherman has nobody to hold his tremblin' hand -- here's a VHM, bub.

Back-to-back divas with back-to-back BOSes: Miss Ross' fab "Remember Me" and Babs' career-changing "Stoney End"

BOS4 Mr C, doin' it old-school MOR and doin' it right, and that's not "Impossible". Unless Jody's got your girl. VHM Johnny Taylor, the natch'l wailer.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:47:08 AM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: February 26, 2011, 10:36:39 AM »
DHM to Bobby Sherman, one of his weaker hits.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: February 26, 2011, 10:38:37 AM »
BOS to Diana's big balloon of a farewell.  If only this had been a full-on Supremes single.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: February 26, 2011, 10:43:34 AM »
BOS2 to Babs, goin' down to Stoney End.  Love how she holds those long notes.

And the head-turning delivery of "I can still remember him."

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: February 26, 2011, 11:11:30 AM »
WOS, naturally, to Bloodrock's horrid plane-crash saga.

I agree with you on its putritude, but there's something enjoyable about hearing it alongside "It's Impossible" and "Do the Push and Pull."

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: February 26, 2011, 11:12:38 AM »
Hour 2 begins with Sammi Smith giving Mr Kristofferson his first charted version of "Help Me Make It..." -- I prefer Gladys' version the following year. Of course, it's easier to make it thru the nite when you have 6 sister-wives.

EJ kicks off the moss. And probably smokes some too.  Sombody musta gave Rufus Thomas the new swimsuit issue -- he's doin' the old "Push'n'Pull". Er, eww.

VHM the GrassRoots, struggling with "Temptation".  and speak Gladys' name and she will appear: BOS5 "If I Were One of Your Women".

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: February 26, 2011, 11:14:53 AM »
VHM the GrassRoots, struggling with "Temptation".

Ha, I thought you were going to diss this as a repetition of their template.  This one stands out for the piano's clank-clank-clank.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: February 26, 2011, 11:18:06 AM »
VHM the GrassRoots, struggling with "Temptation".

Ha, I thought you were going to diss this as a repetition of their template.  This one stands out for the piano's clank-clank-clank.

I was thisclose to a "just when the formula was starting to get stale" remark. But it does hold up as well-produced pop.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: February 26, 2011, 11:20:21 AM »
Hour 2 begins with Sammi Smith giving Mr Kristofferson his first charted version of "Help Me Make It..." -- I prefer Gladys' version the following year. Of course, it's easier to make it thru the nite when you have 6 sister-wives.

EJ kicks off the moss. And probably smokes some too.  Sombody musta gave Rufus Thomas the new swimsuit issue -- he's doin' the old "Push'n'Pull". Er, eww.

VHM the GrassRoots, struggling with "Temptation".  and speak Gladys' name and she will appear: BOS5 "If I Were One of Your Women".

Elton must've grown up in Middle Earth, where mossy roofs are plentiful.    TANC: We have a cat with one blue eye AND one green eye!  true!

WOS PushNPull
BOS Grass Roots.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: February 26, 2011, 11:30:33 AM »
BOS6 BeeGees, Mr Sunshine. I didn't know music could be "nonchalant".  Tina likes it nice'n'easy; Ike prefers it nice'n'ruff. "Where mah coke, bitch?"

They seem to have edited out the orig commercials for MGM LPs by Eydie Gorme (!) and Paul Frees (!!). I remember hearing them in previous late-1970 and early-1971 shows.

VHMs the wicked Pickett and the perky Partridges.  "where is love? and who is love? I gotta KNOW!"

VHM TJ, teaming up with Paul Anka for a double-header of misogyny. But misogyny you can dance to!

lawd, I hated "Watching Scotty Grow" in '71. Now it seems rather sweet.

BOS7 Jerry Reed. Left arm gone clean up to the elbow!  And that's Thibideaux, Louisiana -- not "tippy-toe".

Wadsworth Mansion arrive to insult Italians everywhere. "Wop, Wop, Wop!". Guess they're dick-wads(worth).

uber-BOS8 Lynn Anderson. Always a VHM to TO&D, knockin'.

BOS9, J-5, sendin' those chills up-n-down mah spine. And Donny & Bros are sockin' it to ya at #1, climaxing a helluva week for Mike Curb.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 12:51:45 PM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: February 27, 2011, 09:34:39 AM »
This week That '70s Casey is from Feb 27th 1971:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/02-27-71.pdf

And Casey's '80s is from Feb 27th 1988:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/02-27-88.pdf

Mike, technically the show date is Feb 20th, 1971.

And Gaz will be happy to know this is one of those 3-versions-of-"Love Story" charts, and we also get "Jody Got Yo' Girl and Gone", which more than offsets the appearance of the execrable "D.O.A" by Bloodrock.

Happy I am indeed.  Early BOS to that Johnnie Taylor song.  And I'm perversely curious to hear if Casey has anything to say about that morbid piece of hell "D.O.A."

I missed the first hour yesterday, but I just heard Bloodrock's D.O.A..  Wow, there's some gruesome imagery in there.  One wikipedia entry says the song was about the Wichita State Football team's plane crash, another says it's a band member's homage to a pilot friend who crashed shortly after a take-off.  The band member says he witness the crash. 

Either way, it's too much.  Can the Vietnam War as a background be to blame?  Yikes.  As Andy Williams sings a few songs later "Where do I begin?"

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: February 27, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
Damn, our Canuck friends start Casey 10 minutes early today.  And the chart begins with a future All-Time Moreytrina, "Wishing Well". I'm crying, and they ain't Crocodile tears.

early WOS: Aerosmith's "Angel". The power ballad is the most evil invention of the 20th century.

Not alot of obscurities in this first hour. VHM JCM, checkin' it out; ditto George when he was fab. BOS1 Pebbles' delightful "Girlfriend" with backing vox from the Deele. "that is the ques-tee-own!"

VHM Natalie Cole's lovely forgotten ballad "I Live For Your Love"; OMGWTF and BOS2 Swingout Sister's "Twilight World", which I barely remember as the follow-up to "Breakout". Shame they didn't have a bigger career.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 10:40:37 AM by RGMike »