Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1409678 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #2835 on: January 16, 2011, 10:08:43 AM »
Believe in Mike Rutherford -- he's with the high command. It occurs to me that "Silent Running" could easily be retooled into a Tea Party/Militia anthem. *shudder*

And speaking of shudders: WOS1 Starship's painfully generic "Sara". Another of their this-is-actually-far-worse-than-"We Built This City" pieces of crap.

Cheeze for breakfast!  BOS1 "Tarzan Boy", boy.

VHM a-ha's "The Sun Always Shines..." which I like better now than I did then. Hearing this, it's obvious why they were chosen to do a Bond theme the following year. And another VHM Duran, er, Arcadia.

hey-oh-ma-ma-ma: we're living in a northern America having a love bizarre. BOS2 Sheila E.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 12:08:55 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: January 16, 2011, 10:31:35 AM »
Haha, there's nothing I can add to that commentary.  Mike, Casey offered the de rigueur Sir Monti Rock tale as intro: seems Sir Monti had declared himself the best and most expensive hairdresser in Hollywood.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: January 16, 2011, 11:09:32 AM »
Hey 'ho blistah -- Casey plays Mistah Mistah.

BOS3 Ms Benatar's criminally underappreciated "Sex as a Weapon". BOS4 Sade's "Sweetest Taboo". TANC: Scritti Politti is "Perfect"? way!

Kenny Rogers' sappiness continues "Through the Years" in a Long-Distance Dedication that doesn't involve a dog named Snuggles. VHM TaMara and the Seen, making the scene with "Everybody Dance".

and another VHM Jellybean's Madonna-like "Sidewalk Talk"

Hey 'ho blistah 2: Hour 3 brings Mistah Mistah's 2nd appearance with "Broken Wings".

WOS2 Night Ranger's "Goodbye" -- for a band basically remembered for one song, they sure pop up here often with other hits.  WOS3 Phil Collins/Marilyn Whats-her-name.

BOS5 Billy Ocean's "When the Going Gets Tuff" -- one of the best retro-'60s-sounding hits of the '80s.

WOS4 Macca's "Spies Like Us" -- I know some are fond of it, but jeez, it's one of his lamest, to my ears.  VHM Wham!

props to this Canadian "extra": Keith Hampshire's "Big Time Operator", one of his many David Clayton-Thomas soundalike hits north of the border.

You can talk to Stevie Nicks -- and she'll bleat right backatcha. WOS5.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 01:02:57 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: January 16, 2011, 11:28:57 AM »
seems Sir Monti had declared himself the best and most expensive hairdresser in Hollywood.

so, when they said he "did" Merv Griffin, they were talking about HAIR??

SFGuy

« Reply #2839 on: January 16, 2011, 06:30:32 PM »
Casey's shows for January 22-23, 2011:

The 70s:

January 22, 1977 - http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/01-22-77.pdf

The 80s:

January 26, 1980 - http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/01-26-80.pdf

SFGuy

« Reply #2840 on: January 16, 2011, 08:44:23 PM »
Hey 'ho blistah -- Casey plays Mistah Mistah.

BOS3 Ms Benatar's criminally underappreciated "Sex as a Weapon". BOS4 Sade's "Sweetest Taboo". TANC: Scritti Politti is "Perfect"? way!

Kenny Rogers' sappiness continues "Through the Years" in a Long-Distance Dedication that doesn't involve a dog named Snuggles. VHM TaMara and the Seen, making the scene with "Everybody Dance".

and another VHM Jellybean's Madonna-like "Sidewalk Talk"

Hey 'ho blistah 2: Hour 3 brings Mistah Mistah's 2nd appearance with "Broken Wings".

WOS2 Night Ranger's "Goodbye" -- for a band basically remembered for one song, they sure pop up here often with other hits.  WOS3 Phil Collins/Marilyn Whats-her-name.

BOS5 Billy Ocean's "When the Going Gets Tuff" -- one of the best retro-'60s-sounding hits of the '80s.

WOS4 Macca's "Spies Like Us" -- I know some are fond of it, but jeez, it's one of his lamest, to my ears.  VHM Wham!

props to this Canadian "extra": Keith Hampshire's "Big Time Operator", one of his many David Clayton-Thomas soundalike hits north of the border.

You can talk to Stevie Nicks -- and she'll bleat right backatcha. WOS5.

The 4th hour you miss has a lot of songs that make me go UGH! The #1 (Dionne and Friends), #2, #3 (Partying Eddie), #5 (I don't miss this song), #8 (Survivor) and #10 (The Cars) songs are that way. Somehow I don't remember #4 by Simple Minds.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 08:48:25 PM by SFGuy »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: January 17, 2011, 07:52:26 AM »

The 4th hour you miss has a lot of songs that make me go UGH! The #1 (Dionne and Friends), #2, #3 (Partying Eddie), #5 (I don't miss this song), #8 (Survivor) and #10 (The Cars) songs are that way. Somehow I don't remember #4 by Simple Minds.

I'd like the Dionne better if the money it was supposed to raise for AIDS hadn't gone up her nose. And I'm in the minority but I like the Eddie Murphy -- it's basically a Rick James record that happens to have a comedian singing lead.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: January 18, 2011, 08:39:27 AM »
Casey's shows for January 22-23, 2011:

The 70s:

January 22, 1977 - http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/01-22-77.pdf

Another one I'm looking forward to (well, the first hour, anyway). One of my fave obscurities, Gene Cotton's "You Got Me Running" at #37 (not to be confused with "It Keeps You Running" at #39!); Smokie's "Living Next Door To Alice"; Dr Buzzard; and Stephen Bishop saving it for a Chaka bray.

BTW, KFRC seems to be keeping Casey on Sat morning even tho' the Raiders' season is over.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: January 22, 2011, 10:18:48 AM »
VHM Smokie's dead-on DR Hook impression. lots of prune juice in '77: the Doobs "It Keeps You Runnin" and Gene Cotton's "You Got Me Runnin" are a few songs apart here.

Casey does a "Book of Records" feature about Elvis' success on the R&B chart but the King is nowhere to be found -- why didn't he just wait for "Moody Blue" to chart in another week or 2?

VHM Mr Stewart's "Year of the Cahhhht". Always a BOS for Bish, a pop delight with or without Chaka's bray.

Mr Stigwood told the BeeGees "write a song for whinyface". And so they did. VHM "Love Me"

One for the "never again" list: ABBA and that damn queen.

A lot of repeaters here, since we heard a '76 set in Dec. But VHM George's "This Song" anyway. BOS the Bar-Kays, shakin' they rump; ditto the Spinners, stretchin' they rubber.

Seger makes his "Moves"; BOS4 Dr Byu-zahrd, singing about a pre-Mariah Tommy Mottola.

Yikes! once again we suffer thru Donny & Marie karaok-izing an oldie. WOS.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 11:08:48 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: January 22, 2011, 11:08:35 AM »
a fine, if ballad-y, start to hour 2:  Alice never cries; Kiss channel Rod the Mod; Mr Cummings stands tall; EJ says he's "Sorry" -- VHMs to all 4.

HM EWF with "Sat Nite" on Sat morn. Clive Davis re-tools Randy Edelman's "Wknd in NE" for Barry and Mr M scores a hit.  BOS5

TANC: As we hear about a possible 4th Star is Born, Babs sings the theme from #3.

Next segment: "Jeans On", "Fly Like a Eagle", "Living Thing" and "I Wike Dweamin'" -- think I'll take a walk around the block...

But back for BOS6: the Jacksons' delightful "Enjoy Yourself".

WTF Award: Mary MacGregor, kicking her man when he's down. "i love you, but his dick is WAY bigger"

Oh, Englebert! *swoon*  VHM and Best Cheezeballery of Set.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 12:21:47 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: January 23, 2011, 10:06:52 AM »
Bummer: our Canuck friends have hockey today and "Sunny" in Alabama's player ain't working. So no Casey's 1980 for me.

SFGuy

« Reply #2846 on: January 23, 2011, 05:12:07 PM »
Bummer: our Canuck friends have hockey today and "Sunny" in Alabama's player ain't working. So no Casey's 1980 for me.

If you are home Sunday nights, WQSR in Baltimore plays the full four hours beginning at 8 PM ET, although the stream does skip at times.

Direct link here: http://www.1027jackfm.com/mediaplayer/?station=WQSR-FM&action=listenlive&channel_title=

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: January 23, 2011, 06:35:20 PM »

If you are home Sunday nights, WQSR in Baltimore plays the full four hours beginning at 8 PM ET, although the stream does skip at times.

Direct link here: http://www.1027jackfm.com/mediaplayer/?station=WQSR-FM&action=listenlive&channel_title=

Thanks, SFG! Always good to have a backup to a backup. Tuned in in time for Styx's "Why Me" which I hadn't heard in ages (not that I wanted to, of course).

VHM Fogelberg's "Longer" -- sap, but very nicely written sap.

and -- voila! -- BOS the Dirt Band feat Ms. Ronstadt. Best Mondegreen of set: "It's as easy as clothes in your eyes"

OMGWTF: Foghat's unlikely hit "3rd Time Lucky", on which they sound like, well, someone other than Foghat.

BOS2 Anne Murray's sweet cover of "Daydream Believer" -- and Casey's "whatever happened to... Melanie?" sidebar. Oddly, no mention of the fact that she found Jesus.

Wow, Isaac Hayes' disco-riffic "Don't Let Go" is a forgotten, er, I was gonna say "gem" but it's a bit too cheezy for that. "Aw shucks! Ah wouldn't stop fo' a million bucks!"

uber-BOS3 H&O's wonderful (and recently-discussed here) "Wait For Me"; Mr Hayes shows up again as writer-producer of Ms Warwick's "Deja Vu". VHM.

And KC shows up twice, too: with "Please Don't Go" and with his Teri DeSario duet. I'd've been "Ready" for him in 1980, fo' sho'  ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 07:25:42 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: January 23, 2011, 08:23:42 PM »
And KC shows up twice, too: with "Please Don't Go" and with his Teri DeSario duet. I'd've been "Ready" for him in 1980, fo' sho'  ;)

I arrived late; BOS to "Send One Your Love," one of several Stevie singles of the period that get overlooked because they weren't from astonishingly good albums and have never fit into radio formats.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

SFGuy

« Reply #2849 on: January 23, 2011, 10:33:31 PM »
Casey's show for January 29-30:

The 70s:

January 27, 1979 (I guess you can call this AT 30) - http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/01-27-79.pdf

The 80s:

January 28, 1984 - http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/01-28-84.pdf