Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1410027 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #2775 on: December 18, 2010, 12:14:44 PM »
The fact that the Supes/Tempts paint-by-numbers cover of "River Deep..." was a bigger hit than the Spector/Ike & Tina orig is one of the most shameful statistics in chart history.

another chart "WTF?" -- Brian Hyland's remake of "Gypsy Woman" would peak at #3; the Impressions' orig only got to #20. VHM the Supes redeeming themselves with "Stoned Love"

David Cassidy, wah think ah love yew!

Kudos to Casey for playing both sides of George's #1: "My Sweet Lord" (4:26) and the awesome "Isn't it a Pity" (clocking in at 6:43) makes for quite a twin-spin. BOS10. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 07:29:16 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: December 18, 2010, 07:28:36 PM »
Flaming Ember get a big BOS3 for the unjustly forgotten "Brother's Keeper"

Hearing this again on the Magic 98 feed; given today's events I'm struck by the line

Before you judge me
Why not
Try to love me?

SFGuy

« Reply #2777 on: December 19, 2010, 12:01:14 AM »
Mike, ever thought of doing your own "Chart Critiques" on the AT 40 Fun and Games site like a couple of the people do there?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: December 19, 2010, 08:03:14 AM »
Kudos to Casey for playing both sides of George's #1: "My Sweet Lord" (4:26) and the awesome "Isn't it a Pity" (clocking in at 6:43) makes for quite a twin-spin. BOS10. 

I have to disagree on IIAP: to me it's one of the tediously overlong tracks that render All Things Must Pass bloated.  I'd rather it have been a single CD of just the excellent stuff.  Were radio stations really playing IIAP at the time?

Too many BOSes to count for me in this set, but I especially dug, as you did, the Flaming Ember and La Barbra.  And I never hear that Presidents song anymore (5-10-15-20).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: December 19, 2010, 10:04:24 AM »
Mike, ever thought of doing your own "Chart Critiques" on the AT 40 Fun and Games site like a couple of the people do there?

I perused that thread and those people (it's mostly one guy, it looks like) seem to like EVERYTHING.  I posted a couple of "gotta disagree with you on __________" comments and was mostly ignored.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: December 19, 2010, 10:05:45 AM »
Pointers doin' that "Neutron Dance"!  VHM -- Dec '84 looks like fun.

OMG! BOS Steve Perry's lovely "Foolish Heart", the only vocal of his I've ever liked.

VHM Whammy Gibson with "Careless Foolish Whisper Beat".

And another VHM Stevie; "Love LIght in Flight" is one of my fave forgotten hits of his from this era.

WOS Cafferty and his Brown Beavers; BOS2 Shiela E's criminally underrated "Belle of St Mark".

Rick Springfield's "Bruce" is cute but not much more. "mah name is Rick/I'm gonna stck/ it to ya, babe!"
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 10:36:14 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: December 19, 2010, 11:35:13 AM »
VHM Huey's "...Thin Line" -- its heart is certainly in the right place. And another VHM Ray Parker's sweet "Jamie".

BOS3 Rebbie Jackson's cheezily delightful (and MJ-produced) "Centipede". But several demerits for her mis-pronounced name: seriously, how do you get REE-bee out of "r-e-b-b-i-e"?  Were both Jackson parents dyslexic?

And now Sheena "Strut"s on in with her leather and lace.

Another Jackson heard from: uber-BOS4 Jermaine's "Do What You Do", one of the best forgotten ballads of the decade.

WOS2 Survivor.

Final BOS of the day to Macca's "No More Lonely Nights"
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 01:06:30 PM by RGMike »

SFGuy

« Reply #2782 on: December 19, 2010, 05:02:01 PM »

I perused that thread and those people (it's mostly one guy, it looks like) seem to like EVERYTHING.  I posted a couple of "gotta disagree with you on __________" comments and was mostly ignored.

You could put your opinion on the songs. I know you won't say you like everything and it gives the board a different perspective on the old AT 40 charts.

SFGuy

« Reply #2783 on: December 24, 2010, 08:56:40 PM »
Re-edited again for this week.

Here are the upcoming shows:

Casey's 70's shows:

December 25-26: Top 40 of 1974       http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/12-28-74.pdf

Casey's 80's shows:

December 25-26 and January 1-2: Top 100 of 1985    http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/01-04-86.pdf

SFGuy

« Reply #2784 on: December 25, 2010, 01:46:58 AM »
Found this one of the AT40 Fun and Games thread. It's a database of every chart from 1940 to current. Just put the date (or close to it) in and you'll get the chart.

http://umdmusic.com/default.asp?Lang=English&Chart=D

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: December 25, 2010, 09:47:39 AM »
Found this one of the AT40 Fun and Games thread. It's a database of every chart from 1940 to current. Just put the date (or close to it) in and you'll get the chart.

Wow -- thanks, SFG! I'll be spending endless hours there, methinks.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: December 25, 2010, 10:38:17 AM »
Hadn't planned on posting this morning, but they've done a fine job of re-editing this AT40 year-ender -- what was orig 50 songs in 3 hours (with lots of truncated versions) has been turned into 40 siongs, with complete versions of each.  We just got the long version of "Boogie Down", including the "let my love flood your Watergate" line that you almost never hear. And now Andy Kim is getting *his* gate flooded. Ouch!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: December 25, 2010, 11:00:22 AM »
Hadn't planned on posting this morning, but they've done a fine job of re-editing this AT40 year-ender -- what was orig 50 songs in 3 hours (with lots of truncated versions) has been turned into 40 siongs, with complete versions of each.  We just got the long version of "Boogie Down", including the "let my love flood your Watergate" line that you almost never hear. And now Andy Kim is getting *his* gate flooded. Ouch!

I'm enjoying this too (albeit while laid up sick in bed).  Bonus track from Doug and the Slugs ("Too Bad") on KRUZ-FM!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: December 25, 2010, 11:01:27 AM »

Thanks ^ 2 !!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: December 25, 2010, 11:35:43 AM »

I'm enjoying this too (albeit while laid up sick in bed).  Bonus track from Doug and the Slugs ("Too Bad") on KRUZ-FM!

I love that D&tS tune -- saw them at the Bottom Line back when they were having their 15 minutes of (US) fame.