Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1409611 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #2700 on: November 18, 2010, 11:55:33 AM »
Casey's 70s: November 22, 1975

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/11-22-75.pdf

OMG: this week's show is the chart on which "Eighteen With a Bullet" was... 18-with-a-bullet!!  Quite the '70s cheeze-fest overall (and I mean that in the nicest possible way).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 11:57:22 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: November 18, 2010, 02:11:43 PM »
Casey's 70s: November 22, 1975

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/11-22-75.pdf

OMG: this week's show is the chart on which "Eighteen With a Bullet" was... 18-with-a-bullet!!  Quite the '70s cheeze-fest overall (and I mean that in the nicest possible way).

Thanks for pointing that out; now I have reason not to tune it out.   ;)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: November 20, 2010, 10:08:40 AM »
"country boy, you got your feet in a lake" -- well, that's how I heard the lyric the first dozen times or so. VHJM Glen Campbell, keeping the tradition of sound-alike follow-ups alive.

oh Miss Ross, where are you goin' to?

Barry M writes the songs that make the young girls cry. And buys the drugs that make the young boys high.

BOS the Isleys' "For The Love Of You", which deserved better than a #22 peak.

aaack! David Geddes debuts -- amazing when BOTH of your only hits are HFHs. Actually, as much as I hated "Blind man..." in '75, I can admire the songcraft here.

BOS2 Sweet's foxy "Fox on the Run", making everybody come (a-runnin').

Row-lee-COASTAH!  proxy of Morey.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 10:28:48 AM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: November 20, 2010, 10:20:20 AM »
"country boy, you got your feet in a lake" -- well, that's how I heard the lyric the first dozen times or so. VHJM Glen Campbell, keeping the tradition of sound-alike follow-ups alive.

oh Miss Ross, where are you goin' to?

Barry M writes the songs that make the young girls cry. And buys the drugs that make the young boys high.

BOS the Isleys' "For The Love Of You", which deserved better than a #22 peak.

WOS "Blind Man in the Bleachers," which deserved to be drowned in a lake.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: November 20, 2010, 10:24:05 AM »

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 10:26:13 AM by Gazoo »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: November 20, 2010, 10:33:47 AM »
VHM "Brazil", another song I associate with summer that's still on the charts in mid-November.

BOS3 500 Volts, ripping off "Black is Black" (cleverly, IMHO) with "I'm on Fire".  Cheezy Eurodisco at its most entertaining.

Oh, 'livia: who convinced you to do this old-timey shuffle? VHM the O'Jays; WOS wacky Sedaky -- will it be a censored version?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 10:42:06 AM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: November 20, 2010, 10:38:42 AM »
BOS3 500 Volts, ripping off "Black is Black" (cleverly, IMHO) with "I'm on Fire".  Cheezy Eurodisco at its most entertaining.

I was hearing a couple of songs in there!  Thanks for ID'ing one.  I enjoyed that odd madness.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: November 20, 2010, 10:44:27 AM »
VHM to the O'Jays and what I consider the birth of House.  Didn't realize they'd charted so many times in the '60s - I wonder what I should check out.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: November 20, 2010, 10:45:39 AM »

I was hearing a couple of songs in there!  Thanks for ID'ing one.  I enjoyed that odd madness.

NYC's WPIX was in their ahead-of-its-time "Disco 102" phase in '75 -- Top40 station by day, but at nite they played club mixes -- and they played that one all summer, but it only got around to charting Pop in November.

VHM Freddy Fender's forgotten cover of "Secret Love". Doris Day he ain't -- and thank gawd for that!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 10:50:30 AM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: November 20, 2010, 10:47:44 AM »
The hi-hats on "Bad Blood" are coming through my speakers most obnoxiously: a wash of hissy splash rather than hits.  Ick.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: November 20, 2010, 10:52:26 AM »
The hi-hats on "Bad Blood" are coming through my speakers most obnoxiously: a wash of hissy splash rather than hits.  Ick.

Both CKRU and KFRC ran it uncensored -- I recall the Wisconsin station bleeping the "Bitches" last year.  Will have to check that out tonite.

Love that Homer Simpson promo that CKRU plays. Woo-Hoo!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 10:54:16 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: November 20, 2010, 11:10:58 AM »
Macca scores an ounce with Mademoiselle Kitty.

BOS4 Frankie Valli's fine disco re-styling of "Our Day Will Come", a very underrated single.  Wish I knew who the woman singer was.

VHM Leon Haywood, gettin freaky-deaky.

Palindrome lovers unite! A-B-B-A sings S-O-S.

VHMs for Manhattan Transfer and Willie Nelson. And we get the "Calypso" B-side of "I'm Sorry" this time around.

another VHM to another underrated remake: Mr Garfunkel's "I Only Have Eyes For You".

And hooray for the "Eighteen With a Bullet"-being-18-with-a-bullet coincidence. The lyrics were already a chart-geek's dream; this was icing on the cake. "Be my A-side, baby -- be B-side me!"
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 11:41:07 AM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: November 20, 2010, 11:42:45 AM »

VHM Leon Haywood, gettin freaky-deaky.

Palindrome lovers unite! A-B-B-A sings S-O-S.

VHMs for Manhattan Transfer and Willie Nelson. And we get the "Calypso" B-side of "I'm Sorry" this time around.

And hooray for the "Eighteen With a Bullet"-being-18-with-a-bullet coincidence. The lyrics were already a chart-geek's dream; this was icing on the cake.

Freak-on Leon: Right there with ya.

The palindrome thing is one of my very favorite music trivia nuggets.

I'm glad we didn't get Denver's glib apology this time.

And speaking of music trivia, the Wingfield coincidence is grand, but his falsetto still grates.  Sounds like a Cheech & Chong falsetto.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: November 20, 2010, 12:21:24 PM »
And speaking of music trivia, the Wingfield coincidence is grand, but his falsetto still grates.  Sounds like a Cheech & Chong falsetto.

I can see how you'd hear it that way; I always assumed it was meant as parody of Sha-Na-Na-ish '50s nostalgia.

EJ celebrates tranny hookers; Silver Convention rip off Barry White -- and leap from #16 to #2 (!).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 12:54:12 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: November 20, 2010, 07:34:37 PM »