Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1409646 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #2670 on: November 01, 2010, 02:33:39 PM »
SHOCKER! That '70s Casey this week will be from Nov 3rd 1979!

Yes, our first '79 show, but since shows were 4 hours by then, apparently we'll only get the last 3 hours, so the chart will pick up at #32. (Some question as to whether stations will be given the option of airing a 4-hour version.)

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/11-03-79.pdf

And casey's '80s is from Nov 7th 1987:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/11-07-87.pdf

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 02:35:52 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: November 01, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »

Yes, our first '79 show, but since shows were 4 hours by then, apparently we'll only get the last 3 hours, so the chart will pick up at #32. (Some question as to whether stations will be given the option of airing a 4-hour version.)

so what sites do you guys monitor to find this info out, anyway? 
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: November 01, 2010, 03:56:20 PM »

so what sites do you guys monitor to find this info out, anyway? 

http://at40fg.proboards.com/

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: November 06, 2010, 07:32:37 AM »
Holy disco backlash, Batman!  I think 75% of what I heard was ballads in this '79 countdown.  Some of them very good, but still ...

BOS "Sail On," the most elegant fuck-you of a kiss-off ever.  VHM to an Anne Murray song I'd long forgotten.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: November 06, 2010, 10:06:03 AM »
Lauren Wood used to call herself "Chunky"? Was she fat? Was she related to Arsenio Hall? Or did she just love peanut butter? the ubiquitous-at-the-time Michael McDonald supplies backing vox.

VHM early Brenda Russell -- love the story about her great-grandma.  BOS1 Kermit, making a rainbow connection (and it ain't with Miss Piggy, har har).

BOS2 Ms Pointer with the disco version of "Heaven Must've Sent You"; BOS3 JD Souther's lovely Roy Orbison hommage.

BOS4 Chris Thompson's beautiful "If You Remember Me", another for the memorial-service playlist. Hadn't heard it in a long time.

You may call him Zimmy, or you may call him VHM. You've been "Serve"d!

WOS Robert John's abysmal "Sad Eyes".
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 10:45:51 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: November 06, 2010, 11:27:11 AM »
Hour 2 leads off with some very nice VHMs: Michael Johnson, Anne Murray, and especially Jennifer Warnes' "I Know A Heartache When I See One". Oh, and -- of course -- Ian Gomm.

OMG! the CKRU and KFRC broadcasts of the show are almost perfectly in-synch!

BOS5 France Joli with one of the best Donna Summer imitations EVAH.

and another VHM Mr Manilow, giving Ian Hunter more residuals with one song than he earned with the rest of his catalog combined, probably.

OMGWTFLOL: the censored version of "Good Girls Don't" -- "wishing she was givin' you a chance" instead of "wishin' you could get inside her pants" and (needless to say) no face-sitting.  It hurts, all right.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 11:37:49 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: November 06, 2010, 12:12:18 PM »
Miss Donna and Miss Barbra together! Clutch the pearls!  Meanwhile Kenny Rogers is in love with a decorator -- do tell!

And MJ sez "Don't Stop 'Til You Get it Up!"

She was only a moonshiner's daughter, but lawd I love her "Still".
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 12:30:40 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: November 07, 2010, 07:08:36 AM »
'87 gets off to a painful start with the woefully oversung and underwritten "That's What Love Is All About," the first of many to come from Michael Bolton.

And alas, dropping out is one of my favorite near-novelties of the decade, the Other Ones' "Holiday."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: November 07, 2010, 07:09:59 AM »
Lauren Wood used to call herself "Chunky"? Was she fat? Was she related to Arsenio Hall?

OMG, I'm amazed that you remember Chunky A.  Owww!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: November 07, 2010, 07:44:58 AM »
BOS on principle to Stevie Wonder's unjustly forgotten "Skeletons," debuting at an impressive #32.  Who knew it'd be his last Top 40 appearance?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: November 07, 2010, 07:51:51 AM »
VHM to an earlier entry I forgot to mention, Wa Wa Nee's "Sugar Free."  I'd forgotten how funky that was. Perhaps because of their godawful-horrid name.

And HM to a guilty pleasure, REO Speedwagon's "In My Dreams," the best of their trying-to-hang-on-to-the-charts ballads.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: November 07, 2010, 07:54:18 AM »
I'm bailing to enjoy a sauna at the Russian Baths, but HM in advance to #s 10 through 7.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: November 07, 2010, 09:15:48 AM »
OMGWTFLOL: the censored version of "Good Girls Don't" -- "wishing she was givin' you a chance" instead of "wishin' you could get inside her pants" and (needless to say) no face-sitting.  It hurts, all right.

heha, "When she's sitting on yer face" becomes "When she puts you in your place."

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: November 07, 2010, 10:23:37 AM »
'87 gets off to a painful start with the woefully oversung and underwritten "That's What Love Is All About," the first of many to come from Michael Bolton.

yeesh, sounds like at least 5 diff ballads of the time were thrown into Bolton's songwriting Cuisinart here. WOS1. And WOS2 Heart.

"I don't know why I like pussy -- I just DO!!"  Miss Whitney gets all emotional on yo' ass. VHM.

WOS3 Yes, just on principle.  But BOS1 (and proxy of Swellegant, iirc) "Sugar Free" by Wah Wah Nee, can't you see,  ma cherie?

WOS4 -- and it's still the first Hour!! -- Europe's "Carrie".

BOS2 Stevie's "Skeletons". I didn't hear the inserts of Oliver North etc in the version Casey played, tho'.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 10:49:44 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: November 07, 2010, 11:16:18 AM »
WOSes 5 & 6 Whitesnake, at #s 30 & 28. No wonder Dave avoided the pop charts in his '87 sets.

Live'n'learn: I thought Pretty Poison was another late-'80s "girl group"; Casey sez they're 4 guys and one woman.  VHM "Catch Me I'm Falling".

Gaz was lucky to bail; this really is a painful chart in many ways. Looking ahead I see only a handful of bright spots: Prince, Levert, and the PSBs. Think I'll head to Jazz FM or someplace.