Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1409911 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #2565 on: September 18, 2010, 10:06:03 AM »

and Casey's '80s is from Sept 19th 1987:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/09-20-87.pdf

The cue sheet had a cover letter that gave stations the option of George Michael's song. Did many stations actually delete "I Want Your Sex"?

yeah it was problemmatic in the Bible Belt -- and Casey himself was said to find it distasteful.

Damn, 7 debut songs is the most I remember in one week.  And this BT Express thing at #40 is one I barely remember. But BOS1 Graham Central Station's "Your Love", which deserved better chartwise.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: September 18, 2010, 10:13:45 AM »
"Your Love" was NTM, not bad.  But B.T. Express and People's Choice were awfully repetitive.  And as well-done as the "Jaws" score was, I can't fathom how people could want to own it as a 45 or hear it on the radio.  Strange charter.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: September 18, 2010, 10:16:41 AM »
ooo! BOS2 Michael Murphey's "Carolina in the Pines", a personal fave. Lovely production.

and always a VHM for that Morey fave, Leon Russell's "Lady Blue"

and as i've said before, "Miracles" is one of those singles I associate with the Summer of '75, but here it is *debuting* in September after being played as an LP track by AOR for months.

as well-done as the "Jaws" score was, I can't fathom how people could want to own it as a 45 or hear it on the radio.  Strange charter.

when a movie makes THAT much money, releasing the theme as a single is a no-brainer. and the Dickie Goodman record (coming up) primed the pump.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 10:28:25 AM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: September 18, 2010, 10:26:28 AM »
"Carolina in the Pines" and "Lady Blue" are both phenomenal songs and would be BOS contenders any other week.  But with the debut of the JS's "Miracles," how could I BOS anything else?  Even if it is the 3-min. radio edit, at least it still includes Grace's fake orgasm in the backing vox.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: September 18, 2010, 10:32:29 AM »
EJ gets outplayed by a dominating queen. (and his duet with Wacky Sedacky is coming up as an extra -- coincidence?)

VHM the Ritchie Family's first and biggest hit -- the influence of '40s big-band stuff (and the gay men who loved it) on early disco can never be underestimated.

Dickie Goodman: Oy!

and speaking of "Oy!", VHM a couple o' Jews singing gospel on "Gone At Last".

WOS Austin Roberts' hideous "Rocky". Austin, I've never had to puke during AT40 before...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 10:49:21 AM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: September 18, 2010, 10:56:23 AM »

and Casey's '80s is from Sept 19th 1987:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/09-20-87.pdf

The cue sheet had a cover letter that gave stations the option of George Michael's song. Did many stations actually delete "I Want Your Sex"?

Thanks for pointing that out.  I love the closing sentiment - "Looks like this'll be the last week for George - I hope we will correspond soon under less sexually explicit circumstances!"  Was it indeed IWYS's last week in the 40?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: September 18, 2010, 11:07:58 AM »
VVHM to the Spinners' glorious "'They Just Can't Stop It' the (Games People Play)."  LOVE that bass vocal - "12:45."

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: September 18, 2010, 11:09:36 AM »
Ooh, the Osmonds' finest harmony vocal on "The Proud One."  I've never heard the original (Four Seasons? or Frankie solo?).

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: September 18, 2010, 11:09:47 AM »
this chart is turning out to be quite fab. BOS3 the Pointers with a chick on da side, BOS4 the Osmonds at their best, reviving an obscure Frankie Valli solo single from '66 ("The Proud One") and giving it some Top 40 love.  Their A&R guy was a genius here.  VHM that little piano break on the Spinners' "Games People Play".

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: September 18, 2010, 11:11:18 AM »
Ooh, the Osmonds' finest harmony vocal on "The Proud One."  I've never heard the original (Four Seasons? or Frankie solo?).

Frankie solo (only got to #68 in '66) -- it's on Rhino's fab 2-disc Seasons anthol, everything you'd ever need.

America keeps the oven warm for Morris Albert.

BOS5 Johnny Wakelin's sweet tribute to Muhammad Ali. HM Paul & Odia at their Marvin'n'Tammiest; VHM Karen & Richard making fine work of Wacky Sedaky's "Solitaire"
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 11:27:26 AM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: September 18, 2010, 11:12:42 AM »
Let's stay awhile with one of America's finer vocal efforts.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: September 18, 2010, 11:17:14 AM »
I never had a chance to enjoy Morris Albert's "Feelings" on its merits - I heard Carol Burnett's warbling of it first, ruining it for me.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: September 18, 2010, 11:40:23 AM »
I never had a chance to enjoy Morris Albert's "Feelings" on its merits - I heard Carol Burnett's warbling of it first, ruining it for me.

I'm not sure if it has many merits, actually.  It was painfully old-fashioned even in '75, when it was much-ridiculed (his accent admittedly didn't help). If it had been done in the '80s by Julio Iglesias, it would've been cheesily "retro", but in the mid-'70s it was just schmaltz.

BOS6 Ms Reddy.

And lawd, how much do I *LURVE* "Third-Rate Romance"?  Superb songwriting.  uber-BOS7.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 11:49:27 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: September 18, 2010, 11:55:25 AM »
EJ gets outplayed by a dominating queen. (and his duet with Wacky Sedacky is coming up as an extra -- coincidence?)

and here it is. A part of me wishes I coulda been a fly on the wall when EJ & Neil were, um, working. But another part of me thinks "Ewwww!"

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: September 18, 2010, 12:14:01 PM »
BadCo's "Feel Like Makin' Love" reminds me that Millie Jackson covered it a year later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly5y9rGszTE

BOS8 Freddy Fender.

AAAAAAACK! David Geddes!