Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1410015 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #2550 on: September 11, 2010, 11:04:48 AM »
Quite a soul-packed first hour: Don Covay, a forgotten Tempts tune, Mr White, the Pointers can-canning, and Tyrone Davis' "There it Is", all leading up to uber-BOS1, the Chi-Lites, back-seat drivers in a car of love. I'm sure I heard "Stoned Out Of My Mind" during its brief stay in the 40 (I never missed Casey back then), but it got no NY radio attention, and I didn't really come to appreciate it until I moved to SF and began listening to KDIA, where it was a staple. Damn I love those horns.

And it's followed by BOSes 2 & 3: The Spinners "Ghetto Child" and Bobby W's "Nobody Wants You When You're Down & Out".
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: September 11, 2010, 11:15:25 AM »
Meant to ask when it appeared a few weeks ago: What prompted the "Monster Mash" resurgence ... in late summer?

I've never heard an explanation. It had been re-released in 1970 and flopped in that go-'round; why it came back yet again 3 years later remains a mystery.

VHM "Cleopatra Jones" -- WTF?  sounds like Casey played the instrumental B-side! We're a few weeks away from the other hit from that sndtk, Millie Jackson's fantabulous "Hurts So Good".

Still more soul: BOS4 Ree-Ree. "Ah think the melody on the box will help me... explain..."

VHM Rob Thomas Cher, "Hayuf-Breed"

« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 11:25:54 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: September 11, 2010, 11:30:27 AM »
VHM B .W. S.; ditto Johnny Taylor.  This week's chart is nearly 50% soul.

BOS5 the irresistibly catchy "Get Down"; BOS6 Al Green

VHM "Loves Me Like a Rock" -- and here's the Dixie Hummingbirds' own version, sans Simon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KGnpOE1ZJ4
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 12:36:20 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: September 11, 2010, 12:46:05 PM »
say, has anybody seen my sweet Delta Dawn? Brother Louie wants to get it on.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: September 12, 2010, 01:17:58 AM »
VHM "Cleopatra Jones" -- WTF?  sounds like Casey played the instrumental B-side!

I noticed that - and dug it.  Joe's this weekend's Cliff Nobles!

I don't get the Rob Thomas joke, though.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: September 12, 2010, 09:57:35 AM »
VHM "Cleopatra Jones" -- WTF?  sounds like Casey played the instrumental B-side!

I noticed that - and dug it.  Joe's this weekend's Cliff Nobles!

I don't get the Rob Thomas joke, though.

Some months ago someone here (Tinka?) quipped that Rob Thomas stole his vocal stylings from Cher. Coulda sworn you were here that day, but perhaps not.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: September 12, 2010, 10:17:13 AM »
I don't remember Laura Branigan's "Spanish Eddie" at all, but I kinda like: "Gloria" meets "Rosalita".

I don't remember Billy Ocean's "Mystery Lady" either, but that's becuase it's generic and unmemorable.

OMFG! it's Katrina with the follow-up to the original Katrina, which isn't a Katrina. Got that?  VHM "Do You Want Cryin'", which deserved better than a #37 peak.

And speaking of Broooce as we just were, he's goin' down. But... on WHO??

More unmemorable forgotten 45s: Michael McDonald's "No Lookin' Back".  WOS Loverboy, of course.

back-to-back BOSes: Chrissie/UB40, "I Got You Babe", and Stevie's wonderful "Part Time Lover" -- undercover fascists on the run!

BTW, I'm assuming the LDD of Barry M's "This One's For You" in Hour 2 is the "Snuggles, the dead dog" dedication.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 10:46:21 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: September 12, 2010, 11:11:04 AM »
still more forgotten etc: John Waite and John Cafferty. But VHM Sting, ...Blue Turtles remains his best solo LP. BOS3 HoJo, "Life in One Day"

WOS2 Jagger/Bowie.

oops, didn't see that there's an LDD in Hour 3: "Shannon", which (DUH!) is clearly the dead dog ded.

BOS4 Eurythmics (feat Stevie W) "There Must Be An Angel".

Note that the Motels' "Shame" is another for the diff song/same title list.  I'll take Evelyn "Champagne" King over Martha what's-her-face any day
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:19:25 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: September 12, 2010, 12:28:21 PM »
WOS3 Motley Crue, another for the "Most Unnecessary Remakes EVAH!" list.

BOS5 RFTW -- what's good for the goose, etc.  BOS6 Madonna's "Dress You Up". And VHM the Pointers, sharing the '70s/'80s double-appearance award this week with Stevie and Ree-Ree.

Oh, Snuggles -- whether we have kids or pets or neither, we (heart) you.  Is Don on the phone??  I want somebody to use his fuckin' BRAIN!!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 12:39:22 PM by RGMike »

SFGuy

« Reply #2559 on: September 12, 2010, 07:42:16 PM »
Borrowing from the AT40 Fun and game site:

One of AT 40's staffer was there during the Dead Dog Dedication and says what happened (he did make a mistake and said it was after the Pointer Sisters "I'm So Excited"). The article is about Guy Aoki, a staffer, who worked with Casey and the kind of man he was.

http://rafu.com/news/2010/07/itns_casey-kasem/

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: September 12, 2010, 07:51:33 PM »
Borrowing from the AT40 Fun and game site:

One of AT 40's staffer was there during the Dead Dog Dedication and says what happened (he did make a mistake and said it was after the Pointer Sisters "I'm So Excited"). The article is about Guy Aoki, a staffer, who worked with Casey and the kind of man he was.

http://rafu.com/news/2010/07/itns_casey-kasem/

Wow -- great article Thanks, SFG!

SFGuy

« Reply #2561 on: September 12, 2010, 08:46:01 PM »
A little off topic but hearing Money For Nothing (the edited version) on AT 40. How do the local rock stations get away with playing the unedited version with the language they use? Mark Knopfler wasn't talking about the British slang for cigarettes.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: September 13, 2010, 08:33:52 AM »
A little off topic but hearing Money For Nothing (the edited version) on AT 40. How do the local rock stations get away with playing the unedited version with the language they use? Mark Knopfler wasn't talking about the British slang for cigarettes.

I think it falls into the same category as Randy Newman's "Short People"; Knopfler is singing from the point of view of a character, but he's not endorsing that character's opinion.  Interestingly, the '70s chart on Saturday featured Charlie Daniels' "Uneasy Rider", with the phrase "long-haired Commie pinko fag" and "fag" was bleeped after-the-fact by the current syndication company -- it wasn't bleeped back in '73.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: September 13, 2010, 08:37:25 AM »
Casey's '70s chart this week is from Sept 13th 1975:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/09-13-75.pdf

and Casey's '80s is from Sept 19th 1987:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/09-20-87.pdf

SFGuy

« Reply #2564 on: September 18, 2010, 03:40:58 AM »

and Casey's '80s is from Sept 19th 1987:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/09-20-87.pdf

The cue sheet had a cover letter that gave stations the option of George Michael's song. Did many stations actually delete "I Want Your Sex"?