Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1409560 times)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #2445 on: July 23, 2010, 11:25:31 AM »
yer weekly heads-up...
the '70s version takes us to July 20th 1974:
http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/07-20-74.pdf
looking at this chart and am excited about hearing Ms Reddy adding to Paul Williams' resuduals and of course Lamont Dozier's great "Fish Ain't Bitin'"; am also curious about #24, "This Heart" by Gene Redding -- I have absolutely no recollection of that one.
Here's the 7/20/74 replay with breaks and the Extras, which are no thrill.  Yes, I'm curious to hear Lamont Dozier, Gene Redding and Elvis tunes, can't recall them.
http://www.whnn.com/goout.asp?u=http://images.radcity.net/5874/4404016.pdf

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: July 24, 2010, 07:48:55 AM »
BOS to "Fish Ain't Bitin'."  Criminal that that one didn't do better.

Re Macca's "Band on the Run," it seems Paul ultimately DID "give it all away to a registered charity" - her name is Heather Mills.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: July 24, 2010, 07:52:50 AM »
"This Heart" by Gene Redding -- I have absolutely no recollection of that one.

I'd never heard OF it until now.  Listening now, it's reminiscent of Al Wilson's "Show and Tell," though his voice is almost as deep as Sweet Lou's.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: July 24, 2010, 08:39:36 AM »
VHM to Mac Davis's cheezy, meatheaded "One Hell of a Woman."  He acknowledged to Barry Scott years ago that, yup, he just used the "Satisfaction" riff for this.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: July 24, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
HM to Steely Dan, "Song for My Father" "Rikki Don't Lose That Number."

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: July 24, 2010, 10:19:55 AM »
Hearing Mr Croce's "Car Wash Blues" for the first time in ages, I'm amazed it never made it into a Dave Morey Labor Day set.

BOS1 Ms Reddy's lovely rendition of "Y&MATW".

BOS2 Andy Kim getting, um, rocked. This debuted in July? It wouldn't peak until, like, November.

And speaking of Dave Morey, I'll never forget the one and only time he played "Wildwood Weed" on 10@10 -- after it ended he said, "damn, that was a lot LONGER than I remembered it".

WOS Grand Funk -- it always amused me that after they'd have a big out-of-character pop hit, they'd follow it with a generic rocker like this to reassure their base.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 10:25:23 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: July 24, 2010, 10:44:47 AM »
TANC: War's forgotten "Ballero" was featured in a Soul Train line-dance the other nite on a summer-of-'74 episode.

Whatever you think of Mr Buffett's later incarnations, "Come Monday" is still a lovely song.

"Tricky Dick, stop yo' shit!!" uber-BOS3 Lamont Dozier, of course -- has there ever been another Top40 hit in which a sitting president is dissed by name/nickname? Maybe something Vietnam-related that mentioned LBJ?

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: July 24, 2010, 11:15:06 AM »
"This Heart" by Gene Redding -- I have absolutely no recollection of that one.

I'd never heard OF it until now.  Listening now, it's reminiscent of Al Wilson's "Show and Tell," though his voice is almost as deep as Sweet Lou's.

Agree completely -- very much in that bag. Me likey -- VHM.  Amazing how some soul obscurities become oldies-format faves and others like this are never ever heard.

and another VHM to the Commodores' "Machine Gun", also heard on that 1974 Soul Train ep the other nite.

Memo to Dave Loggins: if your chick-from-the-sticks isn't willing to move to a MAJOR AMERICAN CITY to be with you (seriously: Boston? Denver? LA?) -- bitch ain't worth pinin' over. Let her stay in Tennessee and marry some pickup-driving wife-beater.

Always a VHM for "Waterloo"; BOS4 to the post-Curtis Impressions' sadly forgotten "Finally Got Myself Together", tho' it sure sounds a LOT like "Let's Get it On".

and now Brenda Lee's comin' on strong.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 11:47:30 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: July 24, 2010, 12:08:03 PM »
VHM to Mac Davis's cheezy, meatheaded "One Hell of a Woman."  He acknowledged to Barry Scott years ago that, yup, he just used the "Satisfaction" riff for this.

Kida creepy how, in the '70s -- the supposed "feminist decade" -- there were all these "I love her because she's a sex machine in private but in public she keeps her mouth shut" songs. There's this one, "Behind Closed Doors", "She's a Lady" etc. And lo and behold... this hour's Casey "extra" is... "You're Having My Baby"!

Usually, by the time we get to the Top Ten, the songs are overplayed "classics" I have no real need to hear. But not this week: ONJ, the Hollies, Anne Murray, John Denver -- artists that all-'70s stations tended to ignore when they made a big splash 15 years ago and that even today's "lite-rock" formats avoid.

VHM Blue Magic's fine Stylistics imitation.

BOS5 Ms. Murray with one of my favorite Beatle covers evah.

huggin' and a-lovin, gittin with the VHM: Gladys, "On & On" -- Radio de Sebb played the Curtis Mayfield version of this the other day, which was NTM.

Don't let your son go down on Elton, or he'll be knee-high to a man.

WOS2 the abominable "Rock'n'Roll Heaven" -- one of the AT40 geeks on that other board mentioned that this was orig done by Climax (of "Precious & Few" fame), and that Barry Scott plays that version occasionally.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 12:39:54 PM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: July 25, 2010, 08:11:34 AM »
this morning KFRC 1550 AM here in SF is playing the list from last week, from July 17, 1971:  http://www.oldradioshows.com/at40/071771.html
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: July 25, 2010, 09:54:43 AM »
this morning KFRC 1550 AM here in SF is playing the list from last week, from July 17, 1971:  http://www.oldradioshows.com/at40/071771.html

I'm shocked -- SHOCKED, I tells ya! 

Since the '80s version is 1984 for the 2nd time this month, I'll bypass in favor of something from a JazzFM podcast, or Radio de Sebb.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: July 25, 2010, 12:18:46 PM »
"Tricky Dick, stop yo' shit!!" uber-BOS3 Lamont Dozier, of course -- has there ever been another Top40 hit in which a sitting president is dissed by name/nickname? Maybe something Vietnam-related that mentioned LBJ?

Well, there was Sting's rebuke of Reagan in "Russians" ...

but damn - I've been listening to FAB a few more times on YouTube.  What a great groove.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: July 25, 2010, 12:19:47 PM »

Don't let your son go down on Elton, or he'll be knee-high to a man.

I can't believe it took us this long to combine those two gags.  Well played, Mauer.

SFGuy

« Reply #2458 on: July 25, 2010, 05:12:39 PM »
JACK-FM in Baltimore (show is on at 5 PM Sunday's) is replaying last week's show from 1980.

ETA: Another screw up by WQSR in Baltimore. After playing, the review of the previous week's top 3 (Bette Milder, Billy Joel and McCartney/Wings) plus #40 Change, they went to commercial and returned to this week's chart from 1984, #38, Face to Face, missing the review from "last week" Springsteen and Prince plus songs #40 (Scandal) and #39 (Sheila E).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 05:23:39 PM by SFGuy »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: July 26, 2010, 08:14:25 AM »
JACK-FM in Baltimore (show is on at 5 PM Sunday's) is replaying last week's show from 1980.

ETA: Another screw up by WQSR in Baltimore. After playing, the review of the previous week's top 3 (Bette Milder, Billy Joel and McCartney/Wings) plus #40 Change, they went to commercial and returned to this week's chart from 1984, #38, Face to Face, missing the review from "last week" Springsteen and Prince plus songs #40 (Scandal) and #39 (Sheila E).

I'm betting all these screw-ups are on stations that are automated on the weekends. How difficult is it to program a computer?

This week's heads-upses...

AT40: the '70s goes to 7/29/78:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/07-29-78.pdf

and Casey's '80s visits 7/31/82:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/08-01-82.pdf