Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1410058 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #2415 on: July 11, 2010, 12:08:49 PM »
VHM Ray Huey Parker Lewis, "I Want a New Ghost".

aaack! Steve Perry scores 2 WOSes in one show with "Oh Sherrie".  Shoulda been gone, indeed. HM EJ, puttin' on his Sassons.

'fatuate me! VHM Rod the Mod with one of his many pleasing '80s singles.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 12:32:26 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: July 11, 2010, 04:48:58 PM »
'76 in effect: ED&JFC ain't talkin' 'bout the linen, y'all.  But Tavares have found a missing angel. Hope it's Kate Jackson -- she's the smart one.

BOSFRA to the Seasons' "Silver Star" -- radio musta hated this to give it such short shrift after 2 huge hits in a row.

It's not just radio.  Bad choice; there's not much song to the song.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: July 11, 2010, 04:52:13 PM »
Quite a Gaz-tastic first hour, with the aforementioned Robin Gibb and Culture Club hits, Eddy Grant's "Romancing the Stone" and Corey Hart rockin' da 'glasses.

But the 2nd hour begins with the WOS-in-perpetuity of "Sister Christian" and the compeltely forgettable/formulaic/sounds-like-5-other-songs "I'm Free" by Mr Loggins. Even people who've seen Footloose dozens of times don't recall this one.

No shortage of WOSes in this hour: Starship's "No Way Out", Chicago's "Stay The Night" too. And a special WOS/WTF to the Jagger/Jacksons collab "State of Shock".

But BOS2 Dan Hartman on the moving sidewalk.

I was late for a lunch engagement b/c I got caught up in that first hour.  But I'll defend "Heaven Helps the Man": it's formulaic soundtrack fodder, sure, but it was the song I escaped the last day of school that summer with.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

SFGuy

« Reply #2418 on: July 11, 2010, 06:14:25 PM »
Quite a Gaz-tastic first hour, with the aforementioned Robin Gibb and Culture Club hits, Eddy Grant's "Romancing the Stone" and Corey Hart rockin' da 'glasses.

But the 2nd hour begins with the WOS-in-perpetuity of "Sister Christian" and the compeltely forgettable/formulaic/sounds-like-5-other-songs "I'm Free" by Mr Loggins. Even people who've seen Footloose dozens of times don't recall this one.

No shortage of WOSes in this hour: Starship's "No Way Out", Chicago's "Stay The Night" too. And a special WOS/WTF to the Jagger/Jacksons collab "State of Shock".

But BOS2 Dan Hartman on the moving sidewalk.

We sure have opposite opinions both musically and politically, for the most part as I'm a moderate (I think sports, too if you like the A's) although agreed on Starship. Their 80s stuff is awful.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 06:16:22 PM by SFGuy »

SFGuy

« Reply #2419 on: July 11, 2010, 07:18:02 PM »
I've only been listening to the Casey 80's shows online for about a year now. I have question. Do they replay the old shows that Casey was off (so do they play the Charlie Van Dyke or other sub hosts)?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: July 11, 2010, 07:31:45 PM »
I've only been listening to the Casey 80's shows online for about a year now. I have question. Do they replay the old shows that Casey was off (so do they play the Charlie Van Dyke or other sub hosts)?

I haven't heard one yet, after all this time.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: July 11, 2010, 08:17:10 PM »

according to the uber-geeks at that other AT40 message board, episodes with guest hosts are not part of the syndication package. Not really surprising.

SFGuy

« Reply #2422 on: July 11, 2010, 08:38:49 PM »

according to the uber-geeks at that other AT40 message board, episodes with guest hosts are not part of the syndication package. Not really surprising.

When I used to listen via Siruis/XM, I heard a Charlie Van Dyke show once otherwise they didn't play non-Casey shows either.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: July 13, 2010, 07:52:07 AM »
This week's heads-up...

The '70s version features July 17th 1971:

http://www.oldradioshows.com/at40/071771.html

and the '80s takes us to Jult 19th 1980:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/08-28-82.pdf

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: July 13, 2010, 04:34:50 PM »
This week's heads-up...

Cool - both years are too seldom heard.  I'm sure there'll be several NTMs in the '80 set.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: July 13, 2010, 07:26:24 PM »
This week's heads-up...

Cool - both years are too seldom heard.  I'm sure there'll be several NTMs in the '80 set.

Hell, "King of the Hill" by Rick Pinnette & Oak (WHO??) wil be NTM and I was still a regular AT40 listener in 1980!  I'm already reserving an uber-BOS for Carole King's cover of her own "One Fine Day".

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: July 16, 2010, 01:24:37 PM »
BTW, I have to work Saturday (9a-3p) so I'll be listening to the Canadian feed at 10a Pacific. That's a fab '71 chart, TJ's backup screechers on "Puppet man" notwithstanding...

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: July 17, 2010, 05:52:34 AM »
Marvelous listening, this '71 set.  Co-BOS to the best non-Four Seasons Four Seasons track ever, the Fortunes' "Here Comes That Rainy Day Feeling Again," and the Beginning of the End's "Funky Nassau."

An added gift: getting the J5's "Maybe Tomorrow" as a bonus track.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: July 17, 2010, 09:16:27 AM »

An added gift: getting the J5's "Maybe Tomorrow" as a bonus track.

one of the great disappointments of my young life was seeing that song only make it to #20. I pegged it for another #1.

ETA: that bit about it being orig written for Sammy Davis Jr was NTM -- OMG!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 10:58:20 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: July 17, 2010, 10:11:45 AM »
A cavalcade of only-in-the-'70s pop: 3DN cover Argent; the Stylistics score their 1st Top 40 hit; TJ invites you to pull his, er, string; and lovely Livvy also makes her 1st Top 40 appearance with her underrated cover of "If Not For You" -- VHM to that one. It was fashionable to hate it at the time (how dare she turn Dylan/Harrison genius into MOR pablum!) but it sounds sweet to me today.